2022 Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Balls

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
It wasn’t so long ago that had you said one of the most anticipated Callaway releases of the new year would be golf balls, you’d have gotten some very interesting reactions. However, in 2022, that is precisely the situation. 

Chrome-Soft-Family-Featured-Image-1-1024x692.jpg

Since the inception of Chrome Soft, Callaway has been on a meteoric rise in the golf ball segment the likes of which we have never seen in terms of grabbing market share. While one might think that 2021’s craziness could potentially slow that momentum, it did the exact opposite. With two Major Championships and an Olympic Gold Medal, Chrome Soft was the hottest golf ball on the planet. 

While other companies may decide to just “run with it” for another cycle, Callaway has been priming up for this release, they have said, the next evolution is all about “Precision Technology”...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing the presentation at Callaway HQ was extraordinary as far as learning the statistics behind the slightest bit offset in the ball. The biggest thing that stuck out was this being implemented on tour last year and seeing the effects on tour it applied. The visual they showed that still sticks in my mind is the dispersion of a group of shots with and without the x-ray process and how much the dispersion can be tightened up through the process and reduce that variable. I really see a lot more people giving these a chance that might not have before and the new logo on the box is sort of a quality seal of approval to assure customers of the quality they are buying.

I am a big fan of the current CSX, so this new version will definitely be tried once it hits the UK

The big change for me on these so far has been with the CSX LS. When I first hit it, having very little information, I kept saying it felt like more than one thing had changed. The cover was/is obviously different

20211228_104622.jpg

and always a big thing in terms of feel. (Not going to hide the fact that a couple Callaway covers haven't been recent favorites of mine) And to me the cover change on this one is either just big on its own, or in combination with the new core that's not supposed to feel any different, it feels pretty different to me. And I like it much better.

And results have been good. It's cold here now obviously, but it has impressed me regardless, and more so on a couple 70 degree days. Indoor as well. Excited for more people to get their hands on them and see what they think.

Not sure who of the GD boys played the prior one, but I know a couple of them with speed fight spin a bit so I'll be interested in their experience.

Last edited:
Man, am I excited about this!!!! I have a lot of golf balls on hand, but the 2022 CSX will be purchased at some point to try.

Great info! I’ve been gaming CSX LS and loving them. The update to add some greenside control and likely a softer “feel” is a huge upgrade to a ball I already loved.

Can’t wait to hear GD crew feedback.

Last edited:
Seeing the presentation at Callaway HQ was extraordinary as far as learning the statistics behind the slightest bit offset in the ball. The biggest thing that stuck out was this being implemented on tour last year and seeing the effects on tour it applied. The visual they showed that still sticks in my mind is the dispersion of a group of shots with and without the x-ray process and how much the dispersion can be tightened up through the process and reduce that variable. I really see a lot more people giving these a chance that might not have before and the new logo on the box is sort of a quality seal of approval to assure customers of the quality they are buying.
That's super interesting stuff. I've hit the 2022 LS w/triple track and I really liked it, and I suck. I'm still not sure if I'm the guy that will be buying $50 a dozen golf balls yet, I wish I could because I love the triple track and the ball more than anything I've played, but I just lose too many still.

I did really like the ball at the dream foursome though, and I either missed the convo at the Dream Foursome or we didn't get quite this nugget dropped. This x-ray process sounds super interesting, and it makes COMPLETE sense since I believe Callaway has faced some scrutiny in the past over their QC. This seems like a way to make a massive comeback from that, I love that they grabbed that bull by the horns and just put it to rest. This is is amazing, and if I get to the point where I can handle $50 a dozen, this will be the ball I play. Period.

The big change for me on these so far has been with the CSX LS. When I first hit it, having very little information, I kept saying it felt like more than one thing had changed. The cover was/is obviously different

View attachment 9057148

and always a big thing in terms of feel. (Not going to hide the fact that a couple Callaway covers haven't been recent favorites of mine) And to me the cover change on this one is either really big, or in combination with the new core that's not supposed to feel any different, it feels pretty different to me. And I like it much better.

And results have been good. It's cold here now obviously, but it has impressed me regardless, and more so on a couple 70 degree days. Indoor as well. Excited for more people to get their hands on them and see what they think.

Not sure who of the GD boys played the prior one, but I know a couple of them with speed fight spin a bit so I'll be interested in their experience.
Would you say it's a softer feel? Reason I ask, is I liked the less spin, but to me, it was a tad on the firm side and part of the reason I moved back to the regular CSX.

That's super interesting stuff. I've hit the 2022 LS w/triple track and I really liked it, and I suck. I'm still not sure if I'm the guy that will be buying $50 a dozen golf balls yet, I wish I could because I love the triple track and the ball more than anything I've played, but I just lose too many still.

I did really like the ball at the dream foursome though, and I either missed the convo at the Dream Foursome or we didn't get quite this nugget dropped. This x-ray process sounds super interesting, and it makes COMPLETE sense since I believe Callaway has faced some scrutiny in the past over their QC. This seems like a way to make a massive comeback from that, I love that they grabbed that bull by the horns and just put it to rest. This is is amazing, and if I get to the point where I can handle $50 a dozen, this will be the ball I play. Period.
The slides really helped hit home the points and to see @JasonFinleyCG passion behinds these is evident in how he talked about them that he has no doubt these are the best lineup out their and nobody is doing what Callaway does in regards to ball manufacturers now.

I'm excited about this! Can't wait to see how the whole Chrome Soft family stacks up. Guaranteed to be back in the bag from hearing the GD team!

Would you say it's a softer feel? Reason I ask, is I liked the less spin, but to me, it was a tad on the firm side and part of the reason I moved back to the regular CSX.
Yes, absolutely. Feels and sounds different off of everything. Like I said, it was immediately noticable to me and I've enjoyed the change.

The slides really helped hit home the points and to see @JasonFinleyCG passion behinds these is evident in how he talked about them that he has no doubt these are the best lineup out their and nobody is doing what Callaway does in regards to ball manufacturers now.
Yea and he did make that very apparent to us as well. He believes in the product 100% and stands behind it being the best ball in existence which is huge.

Yes, absolutely. Feels and sounds different off of everything. Like I said, it was immediately noticable to me and I've enjoyed the change.
Interesting. I will have to snag me a sleeve of these as well to give a try.

I am all in on the CSX for what it does throughout the bag. I am still amazed years later what the 2020 CSX has done to transform my game. If the new 2022 doesn't change any of that and gives me more ball speed, I am not sure I can play any other ball (and would be dumb to try), but if the new CSX LS has better spin control, it has my curiosity since the only thing I didn't like about the LS was the firm feel and lack of greenside spin/control I came to rely on from the CSX

CSX rose to the top this past year. And now it's faster? Yeesh
Crazier is they did it with NO spin change in what was already the fastest ball on the market :oops:

Chrome Soft X LS & Chrome Soft X Review

Driver
Off the tee, both of these balls are very hot. They are both on the higher compression side, but they don’t feel like rocks off the driver. They pair very nicely with the new line of drivers. The launch and spin differences between the two models was not significant for me, which is a good thing! They both come off with a relatively high launch and low spin with the LS being slightly higher launch and about 100rpm lower spin. Not sure if this is based on strike variance, but I like that they have such a similar profile off the driver.

Irons
This is where the performance characteristics really separate between the X and the LS. They are both very fast off the club like they were with the driver, and the launch was pretty similar (LS maybe a touch lower than X). The spin difference was noticeable however. The LS was consistently 300-400 rpm lower than the X, which is great for someone like me who struggles with excess iron spin. The major improvement from the original LS is how much softer the cover feels off the irons. I actually got the chance to play the LS and the X during the singles round at the Dye. Through 8 holes, I noticed that the greens were more firm than they were on the Clive and approaches were running out more than the day prior. I switched to the X for the back 9, and it was a seamless change. They feel so similar now that I can envision myself using both balls depending on where I’m playing and what the conditions are like. If I’m playing in very dry conditions or at altitude, I can definitely see myself using the regular X where extra spin is helpful to hold greens. On an every day basis in Ohio, the CSX LS will be the ball I go to because it’s typically soft enough where I don’t need that spin boost.

Wedges
If you didn’t tell me which ball you had in front of me from 50 yards, I wouldn’t have been able to tell the difference. This is also the biggest improvement for the CSX LS. There was some inconsistency with some wedge shots that seemed to come off without any spin if it wasn’t nipped just right on the partial shots. There was a few shots last season that stood out to me where I thought I hit a good pitch, and it just didn’t stop. That doesn’t seem to be a problem anymore with the new cover. The feedback is phenomenal, and also so much softer than the original. When you hit it perfect, it feels great. When you miss it by a groove, it feels much better than the original and more importantly, you don’t get the spin drop offs that run out 10 feet past where you thought they’d stop.

Putter
Off the putter, the new cover of the LS feels significantly better as well similarly to the wedges. The cover improvements are fantastic, and the Triple Track is the best alignment aid in golf.

Durability
This is the one concern I still have with the CSX LS. There was one ball in California that was noticeable scuffed up after a bunker shot that I hit well and was unusable after that. I didn’t notice any damage outside of the expected from normal play, but this is something I will be paying attention to this season.

Overall Thoughts
These golf balls are phenomenal! The quality control in the production is unmatched, and after talking in depth with Finley. I know all 3 golf balls in every sleeves of Chrome Soft will be exactly the same. They feel great off of every club, and they are very consistent. The X and LS perform exactly as advertised. If you liked the original LS, you’re going to love the upgrades. The LS will be my ball of choice for the foreseeable future.

I'm yet to dip my toes into the premium balls for Callaway. I've been very happy with the ERC Soft though which has become my preferred ball as of late

Driver
Off the tee, both of these balls are very hot. They are both on the higher compression side, but they don’t feel like rocks off the driver. They pair very nicely with the new line of drivers. The launch and spin differences between the two models was not significant for me, which is a good thing! They both come off with a relatively high launch and low spin with the LS being slightly higher launch and about 100rpm lower spin. Not sure if this is based on strike variance, but I like that they have such a similar profile off the driver.

Irons
This is where the performance characteristics really separate between the X and the LS. They are both very fast off the club like they were with the driver, and the launch was pretty similar (LS maybe a touch lower than X). The spin difference was noticeable however. The LS was consistently 300-400 rpm lower than the X, which is great for someone like me who struggles with excess iron spin. The major improvement from the original LS is how much softer the cover feels off the irons. I actually got the chance to play the LS and the X during the singles round at the Dye. Through 8 holes, I noticed that the greens were more firm than they were on the Clive and approaches were running out more than the day prior. I switched to the X for the back 9, and it was a seamless change. They feel so similar now that I can envision myself using both balls depending on where I’m playing and what the conditions are like. If I’m playing in very dry conditions or at altitude, I can definitely see myself using the regular X where extra spin is helpful to hold greens. On an every day basis in Ohio, the CSX LS will be the ball I go to because it’s typically soft enough where I don’t need that spin boost.

Wedges
If you didn’t tell me which ball you had in front of me from 50 yards, I wouldn’t have been able to tell the difference. This is also the biggest improvement for the CSX LS. There was some inconsistency with some wedge shots that seemed to come off without any spin if it wasn’t nipped just right on the partial shots. There was a few shots last season that stood out to me where I thought I hit a good pitch, and it just didn’t stop. That doesn’t seem to be a problem anymore with the new cover. The feedback is phenomenal, and also so much softer than the original. When you hit it perfect, it feels great. When you miss it by a groove, it feels much better than the original and more importantly, you don’t get the spin drop offs that run out 10 feet past where you thought they’d stop.

Putter
Off the putter, the new cover of the LS feels significantly better as well similarly to the wedges. The cover improvements are fantastic, and the Triple Track is the best alignment aid in golf.

Durability
This is the one concern I still have with the CSX LS. There was one ball in California that was noticeable scuffed up after a bunker shot that I hit well and was unusable after that. I didn’t notice any damage outside of the expected from normal play, but this is something I will be paying attention to this season.

Overall Thoughts
These golf balls are phenomenal! The quality control in the production is unmatched, and after talking in depth with Finley. I know all 3 golf balls in every sleeves of Chrome Soft will be exactly the same. They feel great off of every club, and they are very consistent. The X and LS perform exactly as advertised. If you liked the original LS, you’re going to love the upgrades. The LS will be my ball of choice for the foreseeable future.

😍 reading this @cm24 I'm

Driver

Irons

Wedges

Putter

Durability

Overall Thoughts
Great review! You were definitely one of the guys I wanted to hear feedback on about it. The LS change was such a pleasant surprise when I first hit it. And feels great off those new irons of yours!! Good stuff. (y)

Driver

Irons

Wedges

Putter

Durability

Overall Thoughts
EXCELLENT write up!

I think I am going to have to track down a sleeve of the CSX LS to test out. I like the spin help for the irons knowing I am not giving up any of the benefits off the tee or around the greens.

Very interesting, especially the 3d Xray. The investment's made in the ball factory are definitely paying dividend for Callaway and for the average golfer. For Callaway they have picked up loads of market share. For us, the ball gets more consistent and faster. This will be the year I try out the Chromesoft lineup on a more long term basis.

I'm very excited for the new CSx. I mean heck I love the old one and this one is faster? Cool!

I like that Callaway is turning their biggest weakness into their biggest strength (quality control) in the ball category.

The X seems to be a great all around ball for my game. Nice write up Golf Writer Guy.

Back