Callaway UPro MX GPS

response from Callaway

"We will credit your account with five (5) free ProMode course downloads once the uxplore website becomes available and after you register the new upro mx device that matches the serial number you provided."

i'm glad Cally is taking a step up and giving you guys who bought them something in return. I'd be interested to see a hands-on video of this thing.

no time for a detailed review, maybe tomorrow, but I love this thing, spot on distances, easy to see int he sunlight and gave me the info I needed all day long!

Playing tomorrow will attempt some video of the basic and go modes.

Maybe monday they'll put the site up ( doubtful) and I can video the pro mode features.

If I were a betting man- the site will go live sometime next week. It has to be close after two delays and the backfire of complaints lately

Interesting thread, I think Callaway has a winner on their hands, just they should have had all of their ducks in a row for the release IMO. Good write ups, keep 'em coming.

response from Callaway

"We will credit your account with five (5) free ProMode course downloads once the uxplore website becomes available and after you register the new upro mx device that matches the serial number you provided."

Hey, at least you GOT a response haha!!

I purchased the uPro MX on Friday and was able to play a few holes at the course with it. I was surprised at how small it was which is good. The screen was very easy to see in the sunlight. I also really liked being able to measure shot distances. The device was very quick to update distances to the FMB of greens as well as distances to hazards. I was so caught up in testing out the device that I was not concentrating on playing golf which was not good. This is my first GPS device of any kind and I think I am going to really like this device. I was torn between getting a gps device or a rangefinder and really still want a rangefinder at some point. I will come back with a more detailed review when I have had a chance to check it out thoroughly.

no time for a detailed review, maybe tomorrow, but I love this thing, spot on distances, easy to see int he sunlight and gave me the info I needed all day long!

How do the green representations look? On the SGX they have the tiers on the green marked so I can see if I can play a ball off a hill and such. Not sure if I asked that correctly or not

Interesting thread, I think Callaway has a winner on their hands, just they should have had all of their ducks in a row for the release IMO. Good write ups, keep 'em coming.

I think they wanted these on the store shelves during a holiday weekend to be honest

I think they wanted these on the store shelves during a holiday weekend to be honest

Probably true, always good to have a new product for sale at a prime time.

How do the green representations look? On the SGX they have the tiers on the green marked so I can see if I can play a ball off a hill and such. Not sure if I asked that correctly or not

I don't think any of the GoMode course views show tiers, but I'm not sure that information like that can't be seen and logically implemented in the "AnyPoint" feature, which is something I have been doing a LOT of over the last two rounds.

I have a couple updates about my thoughts on the mx. I want to apologize now for not taking photos of the clarity in sunlight, but I can say with absolution that I never EVER struggled to see anything on the screen, regardless of how much sun was beating down on the unit. At no point during my round (very very few clouds in the sky, on course from 11:30-3:45) did I look at the unit and think "here's a good example of not being able to see it.

Battery Life: I know this was a big one that was being asked, and I finally got to take it out for 18 holes today. I did not track my scores/fairways/GIRs, and used the unit probably at a minimum of two times per hole, if not more. Most times utilizing the device included both Basic and Go modes, as well as the AnyPoint feature. When I plugged it into the charger upon returning home, it was showing a 64% charge remaining. Now, I will say the unit appears to have less on the course, but I doubt that number is inaccurate. That's likely two full rounds into a single charge.

AnyPoint: I cannot say enough good things about this feature. Each hole on my approach shot, I would switch to the "GoMode" and then click on the "AnyPoint" option on the bottom left of the screen. From there, I could read distances to the front of the green, to the left center, right center, back left, etc. It gave me the confidence to attack holes knowing very well how much room I had to work with on the line of my shot from the front to the back. Some may not think this is the greatest feature or too much information, but having a 10/10 or 20/20 yard area in which to place the ball is a real confidence booster.

Size: Some have commented on how compact the unit is. I have a number of playing friends who need glasses to read and such, and all commented on how small the unit was, but how visible the numbers were. I played the entire round with it in my pocket, and was more affected by a second ball in my other pocket then I ever was with the mx in my left pocket. I am very pleased with the size.

Thanks for the input Canadian. I'm considering upgrading from my golflogix unit and this is one of the units I'm looking at. I've contacted them since one of the golf courses the wife and I play alot is not on the course list.

more input on the battery life.

I played 36 today, it didnt quite make it the full 36, but made it through at least 30 holes, which includes some big waiting on the back

That's a bit of a disappointment....I guess that makes the accessories kit pretty much a requirement for the hardcore players......or for the forgetful ones like me who forget to charge all their little gadgets.

Still.....the comments are pretty positive. Can't wait for mine to arrive.

I played 36 today, it didnt quite make it the full 36, but made it through at least 30 holes, which includes some big waiting on the back

That's a bit of a disappointment....I guess that makes the accessories kit pretty much a requirement for the hardcore players......or for the forgetful ones like me who forget to charge all their little gadgets.

Yea, battery life is a little disappointing. I can get 36+ with my skycaddie very easily, but am still going to buy the MX. Looks like I will definitely need to get the accessory kit.

For those wanting 36, do you play 36 holes on any given day, or is it more of a convenience factor for not having to charge it?

I typically play 27+ on the weekends. I charge my caddie every night after use, so it's not really a big deal. There are days here and there where I may play more than 36, so good battery life would be optimal. This isn't going to hinder me from buying one though. I have someone ordering me one this week. Hopefully it is here by the weekend.

I typically play 27+ on the weekends. I charge my caddie every night after use, so it's not really a big deal. There are days here and there where I may play more than 36, so good battery life would be optimal. This isn't going to hinder me from buying one though. I have someone ordering me one this week. Hopefully it is here by the weekend.

I would suspect the accessory pack that CG13 just bought would do you just nicely DD! I can tell you that I have yet to play more than 18 holes with it, however I just put it on the charger after a 6+ hour round and it claims to be at 60%... Maybe my battery is just way more awesome than Mike's haha!

I would suspect the accessory pack that CG13 just bought would do you just nicely DD! I can tell you that I have yet to play more than 18 holes with it, however I just put it on the charger after a 6+ hour round and it claims to be at 60%... Maybe my battery is just way more awesome than Mike's haha!

Haha. If your at 60% then it should last 36 holes easily.

yeah lucky me, I got the crappy battery, made it through 18 holes and then maybe anotehr 5 before it crapped out on me...not that I needed it since my game was dialed in HA HA

Mike,
Did you contact them about the battery life. How long does it take to get a full charge. Jw.

Tapatalkin' this mutha. A

no I havent yet, I might try tonight via email

not sure on the battery charge, I would say under an hour cause I dont think I left in plugged in much longer than that

no I havent yet, I might try tonight via email

not sure on the battery charge, I would say under an hour cause I dont think I left in plugged in much longer than that

I wouldn't hold your breath.. I'm still waiting on a response from my question to customer support last week hahaha

Back