Mizuno Pro 221, 223, 225 and Fli-Hi Irons

Went and played these today. Love them! I have a gap between the 6 and 7 that needs to attention. But I think it can be fixed.

I also want to add. I am SOOOOOOOO happy I went back to the AMT shafts.. Its like meeting an old friend and just being able to pick up right where you left off..

I also want to add. I am SOOOOOOOO happy I went back to the AMT shafts.. Its like meeting an old friend and just being able to pick up right where you left off..

I have never played a set of those... have to admit I have always been intrigued by ascending mass. It makes a lot of sense. Seems tough to get a feel for just hitting a 7i or something in the golf shop though.

I have never played a set of those... have to admit I have always been intrigued by ascending mass. It makes a lot of sense. Seems tough to get a feel for just hitting a 7i or something in the golf shop though.

I like the dynamic gold shafts. this just makes the longer irons less work. They progress by about 3 grams from shaft to shaft. 9 iron and wedge being the same at 130 grams.

I have always been intrigued with the AMT. The concept is simple and smart but can't find a way to test a 4 iron vs a 8 iron to check the feel.

I have always been intrigued with the AMT. The concept is simple and smart but can't find a way to test a 4 iron vs a 8 iron to check the feel.

I don’t want to derail the mizuno thread with too much AMT talk but to me the feel the same. The long irons just don’t take as much work as they otherwise would.

You aren't derailing it. I'm trying to hold off on buying but I love the heavier shafts in the shorter irons and the DG served me well in the past. I need to go hit the 23/25 and see if I want to combo or just go for it.

You aren't derailing it. I'm trying to hold off on buying but I love the heavier shafts in the shorter irons and the DG served me well in the past. I need to go hit the 23/25 and see if I want to combo or just go for it.

GIve it a try. May not be for everyone. But I like it.

Just stopping in to say hello folks! Everything appears to be on the up and up.... so good day to you!

:)

Pulling heads tonight, work over the weekend on getting the new ferrules on and turned down. Going to leave the LZ’s for now.

Went and gave these a good ole fashion smash tonight. Tried several shafts. The DG120 s300 was a pleasant surprise in each head. No 221 for me. 223 at standard loft was flying 155 spinning 7300
225 162 spinning 7500. I don’t know if this is a delivery issue or monitor issue or what. It was a GC2. My King Tour with stock shaft had similar numbers to the 223. The distance is about 10 yards shy of what I would expect. I’ll do it again in a few days and see what happens. I did discover that I DO really like another option I thought I didn’t. See other thread.

These fli hi are absolutely bonkers insane...Shortish par 4 today. Hit 3 fli and was 25 yard out... I am considering dropping my 7 wood because of it. Also, I am not sure I need a 3 wood. but I am not getting rid of that..

Went and gave these a good ole fashion smash tonight. Tried several shafts. The DG120 s300 was a pleasant surprise in each head. No 221 for me. 223 at standard loft was flying 155 spinning 7300
225 162 spinning 7500. I don’t know if this is a delivery issue or monitor issue or what. It was a GC2. My King Tour with stock shaft had similar numbers to the 223. The distance is about 10 yards shy of what I would expect. I’ll do it again in a few days and see what happens. I did discover that I DO really like another option I thought I didn’t. See other thread.

what ball were you using?

what ball were you using?
Pro V1. CSX LS is my likely gamer this season unless we get a shocker from Mizuno or I fall in love with a Bridgestone.

These fli hi are absolutely bonkers insane...Shortish par 4 today. Hit 3 fli and was 25 yard out... I am considering dropping my 7 wood because of it. Also, I am not sure I need a 3 wood. but I am not getting rid of that..

I def intend to buy a fli-hi.

I took the King Tour with me today. I really enjoyed hitting the Mizunos, and I really believe I like the 223s more than the 225s based soley on feel. Neither feel bad. The 225 is powerful. I didn't see a reason today that I would make a change to the 223s unless I just wanted change for something with a little shorter blade length and an extra 2 yards carry. The 225 was 10 yards longer with a flatter ball flight. I like it but not willing to make the move. I didn't feel it was any more forgiving that what I have. In the 4 and 5 iron it may be, but at the 7 iron, I can't differentiate the two. All shots hit with Modus 120 S. I can say for sure though, the 223s are the next club in the bag if I change in the near future.

Terrible weather is keeping me from being able to hit these for the last week. There is nowhere around here for indoor sessions and the ground is still at least partially covered in snow keeping all the outdoor ranges closed. It has also been bitter cold the last week and not really a time you want to be outside swinging golf clubs.

Terrible weather is keeping me from being able to hit these for the last week. There is nowhere around here for indoor sessions and the ground is still at least partially covered in snow keeping all the outdoor ranges closed. It has also been bitter cold the last week and not really a time you want to be outside swinging golf clubs.
Ultimate misery is new sticks and no way to use them

Weather broke today and it's sunny and in the 60's the next two days in NorTex.

So I took my son to his lesson and listened in as I hit balls.

Hitting 223 and 225 irons

I love the look of the 223 and find it very forgiving and feel is excellent. At the same time, the 225 is a stud. I didn't even know I'd picked it up to hit it and when I did, I said, that feels so good and goes. Not as high as the 223, but worn range balls don't spin much.

I could see people going 4-7 in 225 and from 8-PW, I don't think you'll find much difference between 223 and 225 in 8-PW other than the cavity and stronger lofts which can be adjusted.

I may end up with a set of both - one for my son and the other for me. Even though, lol, it may be the summer before he gives up his Hot Metals.

This is an impressive lineup.

I can't say anything about turf interaction because they've had us on mats with the poor weather this week.

But if you have the 225 coming, you are fortunate, and I can say the same of future 223 owners. Just a great lineup.

Don’t take this the wrong way, the 223s look really good but I think the 225s are just a better looking club. @Vosh68 and his team were just masterful in illusion with how they crafted that set. I have had numerous people who have seen mine or the photos of the 225 comment on them thinking they are traditional blades.

Don’t take this the wrong way, the 223s look really good but I think the 225s are just a better looking club. @Vosh68 and his team were just masterful in illusion with how they crafted that set. I have had numerous people who have seen mine or the photos of the 225 comment on them thinking they are traditional blades.

That's more than fair.

I'd say in the bag, the 225 looks more impressive with the blade look. At address, I prefer the look of the 223. It's kind of a toss up based on personal preference. But the 225 does feel more powerful at impact. Blows you away. But I have a 4-6i in 223 coming my way, and then I'll order the 8-PW in 225 for my son's future set. If he doesn't want them yet, they may be my traveling set.

Oh, and the Fli-H 4i, I am getting more accustomed to it. I get a high mid flight with range balls. A very friendly club for a 4i.

;)

WIth my one lesson under my belt and the hernia acting up I hit some balls into the net today, Did not get the distance I was getting yesterday - not consistently, but I did get a 7 iron 160 - and that felt GREAT. For me, before the lesson I was getting about 135 average, I have NOT gotten 150 out of a 7 iron since before my hiatus from golf, not sure I ever got 160. Sure, some is me but some is the faster ball speeds that @Vosh68 and his team gets out of these clubs. REMARKABLE.

And, as with any great Mizuno club a well struck ball just feels good - as @Jman says - sex on a stick.

My instructor yesterday - 3 hits, with the 6 iron - 208 was his long it was about 6 yards left of center, and he had to lay off as he clearly hits S or X shafts, heavier than my R flex recoils. 208 with a 6 iron :oops:

I did say “I think” the 225 is the better looking club. It’s all personal preference as far as that goes.

I did say “I think” the 225 is the better looking club. It’s all personal preference as far as that goes.
Hence my smiley. ;)

Back