2021 TaylorMade TP5 and TP5x Golf Balls

View attachment 9007118

Switched to yellow today playing with the wife. Had an old one I started with that had already played a round, and switched to this one just before the turn. Hitting some fairways (and some limbs), couple tough punch outs from mixed hardpan/rocks/twigs, and every lie in between, and this is my ball after cleaning. Definitely not perfect, but it's interesting to me that what seems like a softer cover holds up fine for me and the way I crunch balls, but I can chew the cover off some other X's (that seem thinner) in just a few holes/couple specific lies. I think they seem to take on colors and look dirtier than previous version, but I don't have any actual playability issues. The ProV1x doesn't actually seem any better to me overall. Marks in different ways, but I pull them after the same number of holes on average. Haven't put the new Srixon XV into play, so can't say on that one, and I try not to compare balls across different types (X vs. non-X, hard vs. soft, whatever). I can generally play a full round with the TP5x though, with it doing everything I want it to do, and that's about the most I get out of any ball. So I'm sticking with 'em.

I don't play yellow much. Mostly when I play with casual groups and one buddy, so this isn't my area, bit I think I actually have a harder time tracking this yellow than a couple others. I lost it a couple times today in lower light, and I've noticed that before. Might just be a me thing.
The TaylorMade yellow seems to have a bit more of a green hue in it. If you are losing the yellow in lower light, how can you possibly track a white one?

The TaylorMade yellow seems to have a bit more of a green hue in it. If you are losing the yellow in lower light, how can you possibly track a white one?
It's interesting you ask that, because Wife was using a Vice Pro Plus .. yellow (?) that look really green to me, and I couldn't follow that thing in the air well at all. I'm better with their bright red. Like I said, probably a me thing, but would likely keep me from playing it for anything serious. I literally had no idea where it went a few times today. I mostly know where I hit something, but one was really hard to find and I was laughing when she went full @Smiter and suggested we just check the video. Lol. I don't know if I see white better or it's just more familiar maybe.

It's a bit of mystery to me, because I'm really hard on balls, but this cover seems thicker and softer, and like it gets rubs and smudges more than actual scuffs or cuts for me. The turf here is definitely outside the norm from my experience though so who knows. With some harder balls with thin covers I can get through them real quick on certain strikes. Like when I pinch them it cuts, and these seem more pliable-ish. It's weird. Srixon's always seemd the most durable, and I like V1x, which seems close in cover durability for me. They've softened that this year too though.

I loaded up a sleeve from a different box to see if I get any different results, and if it ever dries out here that could maybe change things too.

I am leaving work early tomorrow to play a quick 9 and I will keep an eye on how the balls hold up. I hope they hold up well because I have about 20 sleeves of TP5s.

I am leaving work early tomorrow to play a quick 9 and I will keep an eye on how the balls hold up. I hope they hold up well because I have about 20 sleeves of TP5s.
Me too. I played a regular 5 a little bit today, but not enough to get a feel for durability.

Me too. I played a regular 5 a little bit today, but not enough to get a feel for durability.

I played 9 holes today and was disappointed in the durability of the yellow TP5. I used brand new balls and noticed after 3 holes that one of the balls had a small scuff mark on it. I looked through my bag at the TP5s I used the last time I played and all of them had scuff marks were the yellow had come off.

I have some white TP5 balls I will try next time I play and see if they are any better.

Yikes @Out West. I doubt the white changes anything..

I swapped balls on hole 11 today, because mine had a nick in it. It had flown over a path I couldn't see at serious velocity, and may have hit it, so I didn't really worry about it.

20210511_190850.jpg

This is the one I finished with. Couple little rubs, but I'll start with it next time out and probably get 9 holes or so.

Also, this is totally my ball. Getting more dialed in with my Apex TCB, I'm getting better at manipulating flight and spin with them, and have been able to do some really impressive things on both ends of the spectrum with this ball. It suits what I'm doing out there really well.

I am nowhere near good enough to get full productivity out of the ball and am just happy when I keep it in front of me. I am sure I could have purchased a cheaper ball and been happy, but I really like how the TP5 feels when I hit it so I am sticking with it.

I’ll be giving the 21 tp5x a try. Have several of the tp5x practice balls to loose first

I played 9 holes with a white TP5 and saw no issues with the ball. Unlike the yellow TP5, the cover seemed to hold up and I did not notice any scuffs or marks on the white ball. Unfortunately, the next day when I went to play 18 holes I lost too many balls to be able to give any sort of review for how the ball held up.

Having read through this thread, I am seeing a few comments about the durability of the cover

For those of you who have played the previous version, would you say the '21 ball is better or worse for durability as I have played a couple rounds with the '19 ball and am seeing quite a bit of marking on them that I haven't seen on the '21 CSX I have also been playing

After how the '19 TP5x performed on Saturday, I am definitely keen to see how the new version performs, but durability and it being more expensive than the CSX means it needs to perform a lot better for me to consider a permanent swap to a TM ball

Been awhile since this ball has been discussed. I have been playing the TP5 for the last 10 rounds or so and am really satisfied with it.
1st the yellow really stands out to me and very easy to see. Has a great feel off all the clubs. Hit my longest drive the other day with it at 271yards.
On approach shots I am seeing good spin and balls not rolling out excessively from the ball marks. Had several the other day that spin back off a 9i and a PW.
Feel off the putter is where this ball stands out for me, I like the soft feel of it and it seems softer to me than the Chrome Soft which I really like a lot.
Durability seems pretty good, I bounced one off a cart path yesterday and the ball had just a minor scuff that I could feel.

Been awhile since this ball has been discussed. I have been playing the TP5 for the last 10 rounds or so and am really satisfied with it.
1st the yellow really stands out to me and very easy to see. Has a great feel off all the clubs. Hit my longest drive the other day with it at 271yards.
On approach shots I am seeing good spin and balls not rolling out excessively from the ball marks. Had several the other day that spin back off a 9i and a PW.
Feel off the putter is where this ball stands out for me, I like the soft feel of it and it seems softer to me than the Chrome Soft which I really like a lot.
Durability seems pretty good, I bounced one off a cart path yesterday and the ball had just a minor scuff that I could feel.
The Chrome Soft is actually the softer of these two balls based on compression.

The Chrome Soft is actually the softer of these two balls based on compression.
I am no ball expert at all, could the softer feel be a cover difference? I used both today putting and the CS was more noticeable sound wise.

Old thread revival to end the year. I played the TP5x for a majority of 2021 to great effect, after playing TP5 of the previous version. Really good overall performance and feel. Mostly interchanged with V1 and they perform similarly for me in a lot of ways. TP5x a little higher flight. Useful for me. Really liked being able to manipulate flight and spin with it throughout the year. Couple other X balls that spin a little more can be hard to kill in some situations. We have some very delicate short approaches here, and it can cost you big. Good wind ball too, despite the higher flight. Doesn't hang for me. Anyway, it was my go to. Always open to something that performs better, and am and will test all the new balls, but would be fine playing it again in '22.

And it's interesting to me that I tried to play yellow more this year (kind of new to me) and ended up liking this color yellow best. I didn't think I would early on.

Also noticed that one of our favorite YouTube fitters, who are known to be particular about little things, after playing through quite a few others finished the year playing TP5x. Been using it as a club testing ball too. (y)

Last edited:
Played the TP5 yesterday and ball performed well. The yellow could be the best out there for visibility, easy to see in the air and in the dormant zoysia fairways.

Grabbed a dz of the 2019 and 2021 TP5 .......For my game , the 2019 is just a better fit.......more testing but might have found my new ball.
Cool. I played that ball a lot. I imagine they can be had for a decent price too?

Grabbed a dz of the 2019 and 2021 TP5 .......For my game , the 2019 is just a better fit.......more testing but might have found my new ball.
I like the 2019 TP5x better than the 2021 model too. I stocked up big time on the 2019s.

39.99 I believe.....need to stock up!
I just found a bunch of that version 5X today I need to get rid of. I played through all the 5 I guess. I can't say I noticed too much difference between that 5 and the current one when I tried them. Wasn't long though, because I really liked the new X. What are you seeing that makes them a better fit for you?

I too prefer the 2019 TP5x over the 2021. 2019 is firmer with less spin off the driver. It also gives me a satisfying click off the putter face. I'm already not a high spin player around the green, so I know I'm not missing out on anything there. I just bought 4 more dozen of the Pix practice balls that should arrive next week.

I played the '21 TP5x yesterday. Still a really good ball and my favorite yellow among the brands. Pretty challenging conditions yesterday. Hot, windy, dry and fast greens, and it did well. I really like it through the air. That's always been a big part of what I appreciate about it.

Was cool to rush home and see Rory and Morikawa hole out back to back to finish with them too.

I played the '21 TP5x yesterday. Still a really good ball and my favorite yellow among the brands. Pretty challenging conditions yesterday. Hot, windy, dry and fast greens, and it did well. I really like it through the air. That's always been a big part of what I appreciate about it.

Was cool to rush home and see Rory and Morikawa hole out back to back to finish with them too.
The TP5x works well for my game too. I had my best rounds with the TP5x over the last year or so.

I have been playing this ball every round so far this year and really like the TP5. Does what I need, good distance off the driver, good spin on iron shots and chips around the green. Feels good to the Chicago putter.

Back