TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

I think Marcawesome may be right here. Not sure though.

He is correct, I had actually written it down during the demo day.

Hi folks,
I finally got my grove back with these ( I hope) where I am not trying to much just doing. I really like these clubs. I had to go hit them rain or shine today. I have been reading on the demo day and it drives me crazy. So informative and lust provoking. Anyways, these are back in my good books. Love the sound of that nice thhhwack and cotton ball feel. Today i was hitting a bit high, nothing to be concerned about and those balls just drop from the sky. Golf equipment is so fickle as a friend, you love to hate it, but when it comes back with love. Well, nough said

thanks buddy! I have a lot of work to do on my game before August

Straighten that driver out and you will be golden. You hit some great iron shots down there man

Cleaning the CB's after a range session and noticed some dirt, grass and grime got up under the cavity. It came out fairly easily, just wondering if anyone else had the same issue. I'm taking these bad boys out for their third official round. So far they have delivered as promised allowing me to shoot the two best rounds of the season for far.

+1 on TC's comment. Just go and figure out your specs and order them that way. If you have trouble with ball flight like I did I would get the XPs.

i Hit the range with these yesterday and I cannot stress enough how much a solid tempo works with these clubs. A nice and easy tempo will make the ball fly long and strong. If you have an erratic or incosistent tempo these clubs may not be for you. I had a tough uphill lie that threw my swing out of wack on Monday I topped the ball and it ended up going probably 20+ yards shorter than normal. At the range I noticed that I can work the ball with my 8-9-PW. I can work the ball??? Holy Hell! The great thing about these clubs is you know when you've hit a bad shot and you know when you've hit a solid shot. My favorite iron club in the set so far is a toss up between the 8i and suprisingly the 4i.

Mardin:

I am looking forward to demoing these irons. Did you test these against the Burner 2s at all?

Mardin:

I am looking forward to demoing these irons. Did you test these against the Burner 2s at all?

I tired them against the 2.0 and my old R9's. All very good clubs and all worked well for me. The CB's were the shortest but only by a tad. I liked the feel better. It really comes down to hitting them over and over like I did. Get fit, see the shaft that gives you the best flight, feel, load, etc... The R9's, in my opinion, are the nicest set. The 2.0 in my opinion are kinda ugly. They were the longest for me though, but I found them to be rather unpredictable in terms of distance. That could be me and the way I hit that day. If price is an issue, I would look at the R9's and get a great deal.

Let us know what happens, the reviews here are pretty spot on for the CB's. Testors have done an awesome job.

Mardin:

When I was actually fit I pitted these head-2-head against the 2.0's. The 2.0's have a lighter stock shaft that didn't jive with my swing. They are very long as many people have said. If you have any other questions, feel free to post them or PM me.

I took these out for a range session today to see how I felt about them after some time away. The range was a bit challenging as the wind was coming dead into my face at about 15-20 mph. I hit 3 different irons at the same time and the CB's by far were the highest one I hit. Also, they were at least 10 yards shorter than anything else I hit. I wish I could say they were more accurate but they really weren't from what I saw.

I took these out for a range session today to see how I felt about them after some time away. The range was a bit challenging as the wind was coming dead into my face at about 15-20 mph. I hit 3 different irons at the same time and the CB's by far were the highest one I hit. Also, they were at least 10 yards shorter than anything else I hit. I wish I could say they were more accurate but they really weren't from what I saw.

what else were you hitting?

I really want another go round with these irons Hawk. I saw a high ballflight but I couldn't hit anything that weekend. I got a high(er) (edit) ballflight with the MB's too.

Redlines, 2.0, and cg16

Had my second round with the CB's on Sunday and for the most part they were spot on. I really enjoyed the distance and ball flight I was seeing with the long irons (4-5) and my PW was surgical. The rest of my clubs during the round (my driver and other wedges) were not good at all. THe one thing I can't get over with these clubs is how easy you can swing them to produce great results.

Hey guys I just wanted to say thank you for keeping me sane while I wait for my new CB's to arrive. A few days ago I went into Golfsmith to check out the new club technology (since I've had my sticks for a while now (Taylormade RAC LT w/ 85g stiff flex graphite shafts)). I originally went in looking at the Burner 2.0's but after a few swings in the practice facility an employee wanted to show me the new CB's because he felt they were better for my swing. Being reluctant at first, I was convinced that these were the clubs for me after about 15-20 balls. Even testing other clubs after the CB's, it was the only club I wanted to hit. I put in my order for them yesterday with standard loft and club length including the DGXP S300 shafts. I am 6'1 and am curious if I should make any changes to the loft and/or length of the club.

p.s. the employee at golfsmith told me that the clubs I currently have are not the right clubs for me not only in the club head but also the shaft weight so I am extremely excited for the new clubs.

Hey guys I just wanted to say thank you for keeping me sane while I wait for my new CB's to arrive. A few days ago I went into Golfsmith to check out the new club technology (since I've had my sticks for a while now (Taylormade RAC LT w/ 85g stiff flex graphite shafts)). I originally went in looking at the Burner 2.0's but after a few swings in the practice facility an employee wanted to show me the new CB's because he felt they were better for my swing. Being reluctant at first, I was convinced that these were the clubs for me after about 15-20 balls. Even testing other clubs after the CB's, it was the only club I wanted to hit. I put in my order for them yesterday with standard loft and club length including the DGXP S300 shafts. I am 6'1 and am curious if I should make any changes to the loft and/or length of the club.
p.s. the employee at golfsmith told me that the clubs I currently have are not the right clubs for me not only in the club head but also the shaft weight so I am extremely excited for the new clubs.

I would have asked the employee this. Its hard for us to say. It depends on arm length and setup if lie needs to be changed.

Contratulations on your purchase! I'm sure you will enjoy the CBs. I agree with One-T above - ask the Golfsmith sales person. Have them do a fitting check for you. Seems like if he feels that he's qualified enough to give an opinion on your old sticks, that he's qualified to fit you to the new ones. Everyone's different - so even at 6'-1, it depends on your leg and arm length as to whether you'd benefit from longer shafts than what is standard, then there's the lie angle to consider as well.

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback guys. Ever since I tested them out a few days ago I have gone through the entire 108 page thread reading every single entry. Ive gotten a great idea of the various impressions everyone has gotten from these irons. They seem to be exactly what I am looking for. Perhaps I will go back to Golfsmith today and speak with the same sales associate. That way ill be able to hit the irons a few times to hold me over while i have to wait. :drool:

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback guys. Ever since I tested them out a few days ago I have gone through the entire 108 page thread reading every single entry. Ive gotten a great idea of the various impressions everyone has gotten from these irons. They seem to be exactly what I am looking for. Perhaps I will go back to Golfsmith today and speak with the same sales associate. That way ill be able to hit the irons a few times to hold me over while i have to wait. :drool:

hahaha....good idea! Nothing wrong with hitting them every day til you get them.

By the way, I know it varies drastically on what kind of player you are but when I was speaking to the guy at Golfsmith about the CB's vs 2.0s and he brought up some interesting points. First of all, because the 2.0s are meant for all types of players the shaft selection is much to light for a player like me with a faster swing speed (unless you have the money to replace them). That is one of the problems I am currently having, the lighter graphite shafts are causing my tempo to fluctuate affecting my consistency. Also, he asked me, "what is the goal for the future of your golf game"? Though the 2.0s would be a great club for my current ability, it may not be the club I want to stick with as I lower my HC. The good thing about the CB's is that it doesn't allow you to ignore your bad habits. Though they are forgiving, they still force you to put a quality swing on the ball. The impression I got was that the 2.0s are fantastic for players above a 10 HC (I know this isn't always the case). The 2.0's are a game improvement iron for a reason while the CB's are Taylormade's "most forgiving players iron" directed towards a moderately experienced player looking to advance their abilities. Personally, I have a goal to become the best possible golfer I can be and from the conversations I have had, the opinions I have read in this thread and the demo sessions I attended, the CB's are the irons that will help me get closer to my goal of being scratch. Though the increased distance of the 2.0s would be fantastic, the overall goal of golf is to get the ball in the hole in the least amount of shots possible. If that means that I need to take a club up so be it, but I want a club I can rely on to do its job (this includes feel, accuracy and consistency). I have read reviews saying that yes the 2.0 is one of the longest iron sets out there, but that distance can fluctuate depending on where the ball makes contact with the clubface. Distance is very important in this game but it also brings hazards and out of bounds stakes more into the equation. Also, what happens when you buy your next set of clubs and it doesn't have that distance boost? Personally, I would take consistent accuracy, distance and superb feel over an iron that gives me 10-15 yards of unearned extra distance. Besides, if I wanna hit the ball farther then maybe it's time I spend some more time at the gym :D

p.s. this is coming from a guy that had his mind set on getting 2.0's nearly a week ago

I was in a similar boat. I really like my cb and have been hitting them well. I am very happy with the distance, I am back to r9 length with these. I love the feel, the added forgiveness is a bonus. They look great too! Go hit them again and again. Get over the learning curve, feel at one.
I found that once you get used to these, effortless swings bring great mid/high ball flight that drops from the sky. Loving my clubs, it would be tough to get rid of them. I only have two other sets that could come close

Whats your swing speed?

Hi everyone, for those who ordered non-standard lengths, did Taylormade adjust the swingweights back to stock?

Thanks so much! Just started posting. Looking forward to providing some info vs. just asking questions.

Whats your swing speed?

Its somewhere around 100mph. About 105-108 with the driver in my hand. Nothing over the top speed wise but I am a young and it seems like most people in this thread are somewhere around the same age.

Its somewhere around 100mph. About 105-108 with the driver in my hand. Nothing over the top speed wise but I am a young and it seems like most people in this thread are somewhere around the same age.

When you go to Golfsmith see what it is with a 6 iron

If you're swinging 105-108 w/ a driver, I'd say you're around 86-88 mph w/ a 6 iron.

Back