Callaway Staff Irons - The Morgan Cup

My irons have arrived in Greensboro, NC!!!!

Next stop: casa de Awesome Captain TC!!!!

awesome! Can't wait to see them! Going to head to the range/course tonight?

awesome! Can't wait to see them! Going to head to the range/course tonight?

They won't be in Ash-Vegas until tomorrow buddy. G'boro is East of here.

I type this via tapatalk from my daughters recital rehearsal, love it! Before I came here I did manage a quick trip to the range where I hit around 45 balls with the new RAZR X Tour irons. I hit a few shots trying to get used to the AW by varying the trajectory of my shots. I really like that club, it will prove to be a valuable weapon for sure. Then I went through the bag and was first of all blown away at how straight I was hitting shots, wow that 2 degrees upright makes a huge difference. I loved my trajectory, as expected with the s300 shafts I had a lower ball flight than with the 2.0s, I really loved that. The club looks so good and feels so solid, I mishit a couple and they're not uber forgiving like a 2.0 but they really don't kill you either, to me they're a perfect mix of feel and forgiveness. Distances seemed really comparable to the 2.0s really, if that turns out to be the case I will love them even more!

Another driving range trip tomorrow and 27 holes on Saturday. Now though, its recital rehearsal time yo!!!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

THats some good initial feedback Jake. Can't wait to hear how they perform for you on your round(s)!

I type this via tapatalk from my daughters recital rehearsal, love it! Before I came here I did manage a quick trip to the range where I hit around 45 balls with the new RAZR X Tour irons. I hit a few shots trying to get used to the AW by varying the trajectory of my shots. I really like that club, it will prove to be a valuable weapon for sure. Then I went through the bag and was first of all blown away at how straight I was hitting shots, wow that 2 degrees upright makes a huge difference. I loved my trajectory, as expected with the s300 shafts I had a lower ball flight than with the 2.0s, I really loved that. The club looks so good and feels so solid, I mishit a couple and they're not uber forgiving like a 2.0 but they really don't kill you either, to me they're a perfect mix of feel and forgiveness. Distances seemed really comparable to the 2.0s really, if that turns out to be the case I will love them even more!

Another driving range trip tomorrow and 27 holes on Saturday. Now though, its recital rehearsal time yo!!!

Great stuff P4B, sounds like success with the irons right out of the box, and an exciting recital to boot.

Nice buddy! I am happy for you, I cant wait ot hit mine

on another note, Your a bad father.

Great stuff P4B, sounds like success with the irons right out of the box, and an exciting recital to boot.

did you mean about?

Lookin forward to seein your irons TC! I would have ordered the exact same ones except mine wouldn't be backwards :D

Yeah, so far I love them as much as I thought I did! I cannot wait to play them again, Saturday can't come soon enough!

And yeah dude, recital time is big business for little girls in dance class!

I just checked my tracking number and the irons are out for delivery! I'm on official UPS watch............but today is the start of our moving day, ugh!

My irons have arrived in Greensboro, NC!!!!

Next stop: casa de Awesome Captain TC!!!!
Good deal. Can't wait to see the pics and your thoughts on them. Congrats!

Great initial feedback. These babies are going to treat you very well!

I just checked my tracking number and the irons are out for delivery! I'm on official UPS watch............but today is the start of our moving day, ugh!

Awesome stuff TC, look forward to hearing your thoughts on those beauties. Didn't you just move though? I hate moving!

It's a beautiful day up here in Albany and I'm stuck in the office. Oh well, Friday night means it's a golf night for Nerfny and I. There is a decent breeze right now, if it holds up it will be interesting to see how these irons play in the wind. I'm really looking forward to getting out there tonight, tomorrow, and Sunday. May try to shoot some on course videos.

Good stuff buddy, maybe you'll have to take a break from moving and slide out to the driving range when they show up! Have fun moving, I hate moving with a passion!

Great initial feedback. These babies are going to treat you very well!
Thanks man, I think you're right they are going to treat me very well. Since my last lesson a year and a half ago I asked my pro to help me turn my nasty draw/hook into a baby cut or a slight fade. It worked, but it almost got to the point it was out of control (in fact some days it was out of control) but in my fitting for the RAZR X Tours I found that I needed 2* upright, standard used to work for my old swing, but not anymore. But man I'm hitting the ball so nice and straight now I just can't believe it! More testing today at lunch then 27 holes tomorrow!

Hope you have new sticks in hand today bro.

Awesome stuff TC, look forward to hearing your thoughts on those beauties. Didn't you just move though? I hate moving!

I'm moving today and tomorrow. I hate it too. The sticks are being delivered to the new house, I hope the guy leaves them there. I'll be back and forth between houses all day.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I'm moving today and tomorrow. I hate it too. The sticks are being delivered to the new house, I hope the guy leaves them there. I'll be back and forth between houses all day.

I have a feeling Foster is going to be hauling the big boxes once those sticks get delivered

I have a feeling Foster is going to be hauling the big boxes once those sticks get delivered

I've been told that I can't touch the box until Sunday, lol

I have to thank Callaway Golf for this. I've never been so excited about a set of irons. I have said it before and I will say it again, Callaway may be putting out some of the most underrated products on the market.

I've been told that I can't touch the box until Sunday, lol

I have to thank Callaway Golf for this. I've never been so excited about a set of irons. I have said it before and I will say it again, Callaway may be putting out some of the most underrated products on the market.

hell how are we supposed to get our pictures if you can't open till Sunday?!

You are right, I think if people try to overlook Callaway's product line this year they are mistaken. After hitting the Razr X and Razr X tour while deciding which to throw in the bag, testing at demo day, and having 1 round in the books with the Razr X I think they are some of the easiest irons I've ever hit.

And how could an OEM like Callaway have such underrated equipment? Not arguing the point as I agree 100% it just doesnt make sense. Theyve been making great equipment for a long time now. Guess its the power of marketing by a certain rival OEM. I think Callaways stuff this year is really really good and much better then its getting credit for from most of public.

What's in the Bag???

Spoiler
99092d03.jpg

Initial Thoughts:

Feel:
Smooth. I really like how these clubs sound/feel at impact. Not as deep sounding as I'm used too but they really just feel like nothing when you hit a ball near the center. I hit a couple off the toe of some of the clubs and even that felt/sounded pretty good. Definitely knew I mishit it but it wasn't as harsh as I'm used too. The shafts will take some time to get used too I think. I really want to swing these hard which isn't my nature to be honest. I started to swing it like my driver and the results were extremely encouraging.

Distance:
Just so you know, I didn't GPS these. This is purely my eyes and yardage markers. My 8i was my best club and flew about 155-160. My 7i was around the same distance. The 6i was a little over the place. The AW was going about 120, so was the PW until I found the right ball placement in my stance. Then that was further. The 9i had some 140-150 moments, with the lowers being in the 120's. So in a sense I'm gaining distance but really need to dial in ball position. That is critical for my swing and how steep I come in. I think I put a lot of pressure on myself to send these a long way because of what I've heard and saw at the fitting. Really all I need with these irons and shafts is a smooth swing.

Forgiveness:
Exactly what I saw when I was at the fitting. The toe shots I lost about 20 yards and around the same, maybe a tad more with fat shots. Still ball was going straight unless I pushed or over cooked a draw. No SLICEs. None. Amazing what fitted irons can do.

Ballflight:
I either had a draw, overcooked draw (much much less than the draw) or a straight shot. I had 3 pushes for the day. The 1* up makes a huge difference. I used to play a fade. I liked this. I may just start playing the big draw because it felt themost comfortable. I have some time to figure it out. First time out :)

Testing Process:
I hit every iron about 14 times, alternating every two shots. I like this approach because it translates more to how I work on the course. It really makes me focus on each shot because I don't have but 1 if that to make up for a bad shot.

Overall:
Usually first impressions I like to keep simple but I had a lot of notes. I want at least a weekly recap and whatnot so for the future Ill try to keep these shorter. I was really happy. I need to figure out which ballflight I like the best and just play it. I'm a little concerned about the spin I put on these (based on the fitting) but I'm going to trust what the fitter said and play it. It should help a lot when I'm sending a 6i into the green :)

I feel confident standing over these clubs knowing that my lie angle is what it needs to be. I can't believe how big of a relief that is. I also want to say that Callaway did a fantastic job with how these irons are built. I seriously looked over these irons throughout conference calls yesterday and the night before. Everything from the alignment of the grip to the stickers on the shaft align with everything else. Thank you so much.

Back