I am not going to pretend I know what kind of market share they will get, but given the experience of my friend, and your wife, this might find a nice niche for those starting out who are overwhelmed trying to decide which used clubs are best. Let alone, how to construct a bag with driver, woods, irons, wedges, and a putter.

This is an all in one solution that is seemingly better than a Top Flite set or something similar from a big box retail store.

This guy gets it

Well done on the review @ddec ! The irons and wedges do look pretty damn good! The weight of that putter head was a bit of a shock though lol That must have been interesting trying to get used to

Aside from some of the Tour Edge offerings, this is by far the best looking boxed set I've seen. I can't imagine I'd find myself in that market at this point, but if I was they'd get a strong look from me. If I knew someone new to the game looking to get going with a starter set I'd definitely point them in this direction. The price is reasonable enough that they could use it to get started and replace pieces as they saw fit without worrying too much about throwing money away.

pretty much this. You ask me a few months ago and i wouldnt have thought there was much of a market. Then helped a non-THP buddy go through a fitting. Basically offered to source his specs from various online vendors and save 3K or so. Said he rather just get them all at once since he was probably keeping them for 10 years, despite being a lot more expensive and have a longer lead-time. 🤷‍♂️ kinda opened my eyes to how different online golfers are ha.

Regarding fittings I see value in paying to get the clubs through the fitter if they guarantee the fit and happiness. I have recently gone through a situation where the fitter took my clubs back after a year when I wasn't happy with the performance on the course. If I had sourced myself and was unhappy I would have been stuck with clubs that didn't work for me.

Aside from some of the Tour Edge offerings, this is by far the best looking boxed set I've seen.

They do look good in @ddec images. What do you think is the right price for a performance based boxed set if it were to exist?

They do look good in @ddec images. What do you think is the right price for a performance based boxed set if it were to exist?
This is a great question!

I am not going to pretend I know what kind of market share they will get, but given the experience of my friend, and your wife, this might find a nice niche for those starting out who are overwhelmed trying to decide which used clubs are best. Let alone, how to construct a bag with driver, woods, irons, wedges, and a putter.

This is an all in one solution that is seemingly better than a Top Flite set or something similar from a big box retail store.
Taylor nailed it.

Well done on this piece Dean.

There’s a niche to be had here, and it’s a bigger one than a lot of golfers realize.

I think it will really come down to marketing and messaging. You can only hit the new or non-discerning golfer so many times on Instagram and Facebook before you need to hit the core golfer a little bit. Marketing will be such a crucial aspect there.

Take a brand like Ben Hogan. They are DTC, priced decently well and make high quality forgings. If they had a boxed set at $900 would it diminish the rest of the lineup? It might. I honestly dont know.
Ben Hogan’s on line fitting tool kinda builds a “box set for you”, but it comes in a way higher price point. I get what you are saying though, it will be all about messaging for them.

Personally, I think this is right in the sweet spot. $800 for a 14 club set is tough to beat with even used clubs that aren’t super old, but doesn’t send the message that the clubs are cheap junk. I think keeping it under $1000 is important, as numbers like that can be a mental hurdle for some (probably me included). If I was buying them I doubt I’d spend the extra $125 on the bag, but it certainly simplifies things for a beginner and still keeps it under that threshold at $925.

For comparison, the Tour Edge HL4 To-Go set comes in right at $1000. It is a 12 club set, with bag. The Stix set contains a gap wedge and lob wedge. The only other difference, makeup wise, is that Tour Edge includes two hybrids instead of one (at the expense of a 5 iron).

Knowing what I currently know, I’d likely choose the Tour Edge set. However, as a new golfer without much knowledge I’d probably consider the two extra clubs from Stix and the slightly lower price the better deal.

It’s gotta be tough to break into the golf market as an unknown name, but there is a need for products like this. At least at face value it looks like Stix is doing it pretty well. They have a slick looking product at a competitive price.

ETA: I guess I somehow missed the "performance based" caveat to the question. I think @ddec pretty much nailed the best case scenario for that for that in the next post. They could MAYBE shave a few more bucks off the hybrid and putter, but that'd still be north of $1500 before the bag. I think there's a market in the Stix and Tour Edge price range, but I don't know about increasing it 50%...even for known quantity clubs.

Last edited:

Man that is a great question. You know performance fairways and hybrids would make that price high IMO. Think of what a box set could have been for something like the Launcher HB line and add in a Cleveland soft putter. Given some discounts for a box deal, say somewhere around 2k.

Figure for my example they could do...

Driver 300
2 woods 350
Hybrid 125
6 irons 450
3 wedges 300
Putter 100

Now even based on those numbers, manufacturers aren't making a ton per box. Then include options for headcovers and a bag.

Man I really don't know...

Man that is a great question. You know performance fairways and hybrids would make that price high IMO. Think of what a box set could have been for something like the Launcher HB line and add in a Cleveland soft putter. Given some discounts for a box deal, say somewhere around 2k.

Figure for my example they could do...

Driver 300
2 woods 350
Hybrid 125
6 irons 450
3 wedges 300
Putter 100

Now even based on those numbers, manufacturers aren't making a ton per box. Then include options for headcovers and a bag.

Man I really don't know...

I think if you made them order direct only, some companies could get pretty close, but with R&D comes costs and I think getting to this price would be a challenge. Assuming we are talking real performance that is.

That's a great review. I've not heard of the company before but options are always good. I hope they do well and it looks like they've got their target market. It doesn't hurt if it's true what they said that other OEM's are pulling out of the boxed set area... they could have the arena to themselves.

The clubs definitely look good but $900 for 14 with a bag... Sure, it's below the $1,000 mental hurdle... and the prices are close to Ben Hogan and Tour Edge... but I think they'd be able to sell some more quickly if they were able to reach an impossible price of $750... if they could even get to $500 then that package would be well priced and quite tempting... in my opinion that is.

How about if Stix offered a complete package... call it "The Works" and it includes: 14 clubs, a bag, 2 dozen balls, 20 tees, a towel, a glove, a polo shirt, a hydroflask, and a range finder or GPS watch for $1000... I think that would work and they would sell a lot of them. If they were to partner up with an online golf store for the accessories... it could be a gold mine. Buy a set of clubs and get a discount here kind of thing.

One thing I really want to convey about this set, they were super fun to play. Enough performance throughout to get around and not feel like I was missing out on a ton. I went in with low expectations and as I said, I was impressed with how they performed.

I also think there is always a pride of ownership when buying new clubs vs used. These look good enough in the bag to give you a little bit of that pride IMO.

Great review, thank you! I'm impressed by what you saw with these. I would not have expected a box set like this to hold up as well as it seems these have for you. Quite surprised. Not something I personally am interested in, but if I knew someone just starting out, it wouldn't be a bad way to get started without investing too much before figuring out if they like the game or not.

Interesting stuff. I have seen ads and didn't really know what the company was. Good review @ddec . They seem to offer a setup that would appeal to people and look pretty good doing it.

Really good article here. I think these look great for what they are and the price isn't bad for someone looking to get into the game. I don't this seasoned golfers will look this direction but that is not their target consumer. The internet golfer in my has to ask...Do we know who made the shafts? haha

Really good article here. I think these look great for what they are and the price isn't bad for someone looking to get into the game. I don't this seasoned golfers will look this direction but that is not their target consumer. The internet golfer in my has to ask...Do we know who made the shafts? haha

I am looking into that now.
It's interesting as I relate these clubs very much to the Sub70 brand.

I am looking into that now.
It's interesting as I relate these clubs very much to the Sub70 brand.

Sub70 has a pretty crazy amount of options too IIRC

My buddy got a set as a year end bonus. He seemed to hit them relatively well too. The black is pretty sharp but I didn’t think much of the head covers as they looked kinda cheap. I only swung his 5 iron; very different than my 5 iron, but I think that had to do a lot with the shafts. I will say the ball seemed to jump off the face 🤷‍♂️ Not bad for a box set imo

My buddy got a set as a year end bonus. He seemed to hit them relatively well too. The black is pretty sharp but I didn’t think much of the head covers as they looked kinda cheap. I only swung his 5 iron; very different than my 5 iron, but I think that had to do a lot with the shafts. I will say the ball seemed to jump off the face 🤷‍♂️ Not bad for a box set imo

definitely not bad for a box set. Cool to hear you know someone who has a set.

definitely not bad for a box set. Cool to hear you know someone who has a set.
He’s absolutely loves it. coming from used and hand-me-down clubs, it gives him that new club and modern feel. And helps that they definitely don’t suck

He’s absolutely loves it. coming from used and hand-me-down clubs, it gives him that new club and modern feel. And helps that they definitely don’t suck

That's really cool. Yup, I don't think they suck either. The irons were launchers for me and I really enjoyed the wedges. It also helps that they look good too, helps give a little pride of ownership.

Back