Cleveland Launcher XL Drivers Preview

First round with the XL Driver yesterday. I got the 44.5" version and LOVE it. Only played 9 holes so hit it 7 times. The impact sound is very good, not tingey at all. Nice solid whack impact sound. I didn't notice any difference length wise but will have a better idea after next weeks round. The Cypher shaft is very nice.

Do we still have this in the bag? I know with all of the other releases that have hit in the past 2 months this one gets lost a bit, but definitely a very capable and forgiving head.

Do we still have this in the bag? I know with all of the other releases that have hit in the past 2 months this one gets lost a bit, but definitely a very capable and forgiving head.
ddec, last week I put a 2017 460cc M1 10.5 driver in play, turning it down 3 clicks to make it close to 9*. Heard some good things about this 2017 release and got a nice one off eBay. After putting a jumbo grip on I've had 5 rounds with it and it's longer, as straight and a better sound/feel than the Launcher XL 9* and the previous to that Launcher HB Turbo 9* driver. I'm amazed at the 2017 design and engineering on the M1. Couldn't be happier.

Haven’t had to chance to try it yet to be honest. The lightweight aspect worries me after how hard it was for me to get adjusted to my current driver.

Still gaming mine. It’s prob the straightest Driver I’ve ever owned. And I owned a Ping G400 Max so that’s saying something. It also loves hits more out towards the center toe area. This is typically my miss when I don’t hit the center. Produces a nice draw that rolls. The versatility of loft adjustment is great as well. I have the Cypher shafts on all my other clubs so just makes sense for me.

Still gaming mine. It’s prob the straightest Driver I’ve ever owned. And I owned a Ping G400 Max so that’s saying something. It also loves hits more out towards the center toe area. This is typically my miss when I don’t hit the center. Produces a nice draw that rolls. The versatility of loft adjustment is great as well. I have the Cypher shafts on all my other clubs so just makes sense for me.

Cypher is such a good shaft.

Cypher is such a good shaft.

Agreed. I have the XL 3,5,7 woods as well. And I like the Cypher shaft so much I put them on everything all the way to my wedges.

If the B21 driver wasn’t so good, I would give this driver a chance. I cypher shafts in all of my Cleveland clubs.

I'm really interested in the XL Lite driver, I think it comes pretty close to the original CG Black driver - obviously with newer tech, but that driver also had a really light shaft in it (Miyazaki 37 grams I think, in regular). Unfortunately the new Cleveland clubs aren't available to even buy over here, can't demo them.

With as much success I am having with the Halo irons and Hy-wood, I will eventually pick up one of these drivers to try. Probably will wait until they get discounted a little. I don't think it will knock the B21 out of the bag, but for scientific purposes, why not?!

With as much success I am having with the Halo irons and Hy-wood, I will eventually pick up one of these drivers to try. Probably will wait until they get discounted a little. I don't think it will knock the B21 out of the bag, but for scientific purposes, why not?!
I didn't do a head to head on the same day, but using the same GC2 I always found the B21 to be a bit on the spinnier side. Nothing eggregious but higher than I normally see so it was always a hair shorter than my norms.
On the other hand, the Cleveland has always hung in there with any of the 2022 drivers on both a grass range and indoor monitor. if I didn't stumble onto the G425 Max late last year, I think the Cleveland would have gotten serious consideration for my bag. Both the lite and lite draw versions were really long and surprising and on the lowerish spin side for me. The only knock is the sound is not the best, but coming from the Ping, sound honestly doesn't bother me on clubs. I look at the scorecard.

Does anyone know why Cleveland kept the HiBore crown in the rest of the Launcher XL woods/hybrids, but took it out of the driver? I am assuming for CG purposes, but it seems a little odd to me that everything but the driver has the HiBore crown. I asked this question on twitter, but I haven't received an answer yet.

Does anyone know why Cleveland kept the HiBore crown in the rest of the Launcher XL woods/hybrids, but took it out of the driver? I am assuming for CG purposes, but it seems a little odd to me that everything but the driver has the HiBore crown. I asked this question on twitter, but I haven't received an answer yet.

i believe it’s a 3 way answer…

hibore crown was a way of making things thinner in areas, effecting weight and CG. For this driver Cleveland went with a thinner crown than before so not necessarily needed for that purpose.

hibore crown has always had an adverse effect on sound, and coming from HB Turbo, they needed to reign that in.

Where I am confident that the first two are accurate, I think the addition of rebound frame didn’t play well hibore crown.

I love my G400 Max. I just got another one after I foolishly sold mine a couple of years ago and spent 2 years in the driver desert.

I have been banging the Hy-wood drum since last fall. I added the Halo 4H last week and absolutely love it.

With the price drop announced, I'm a bit curious about the XL Launcher driver. I'm digging the Cypher shaft and how point and shoot the other woods are, I should have given the Launcher XL driver a shot before repurchasing the G400 Max.

Keep an eye out for them on eBay. I got mine in absolute mint condition for like 200 bucks.

I’m curious as to what the numbers on the normal driver versus the accuracy build would be?

Thanks for your tip, @Jason89er. I was able to get the driver for around $200 on eBay!

Bought Cleveland originally for their SW, and listened to this forum about the Hy-wood. Loving what Cleveland is doing these days.

Thanks for your tip, @Jason89er. I was able to get the driver for around $200 on eBay!

Bought Cleveland originally for their SW, and listened to this forum about the Hy-wood. Loving what Cleveland is doing these days.

Very nice! That’s the one perk of them not being overly known for their Drivers. Even though they make very quality ones. They don’t hold their value as much. Advantage buyer. Seller? Not so much lol. Enjoy!!

Super underrated driver reduced to $250!
B2CE054D-DBDA-4AF8-AC69-6A768D5790FA.jpeg

New line coming out ?

Turbo driver released in September 2019. This one in August 2021. So, I would guess late Summer 2023?🤷‍♂️
Interesting they would drop them in price this soon.

Interesting they would drop them in price this soon.

Srixon release is this week. Not sure if that has anything to do with it?

Cool release. Heard it's good by some influencers.

As a lefty, I got a lucky score today at the PGASS. A barely hit Launcher XL demo driver in R shaft for 100 bucks. I hit it in the bay and it felt great.

I've admittedly been away from the game for a bit due to life and some other priorities and yesterday was the first time I had hit a golf club in 6 months. I wanted to give this a whirl since I just don't seem to feel comfortable with my G425 MAX. Even if I hit it in the center it just doesn't feel solid to me.

FFWD to today and I give this thing a whirl. I have plenty of swing flaws and know what I need to work on but with this Launcher XL I could really tell when I hit the sweet spot. Accuracy aside from my rust and deficiencies this thing really performed when I put a good swing on it and I think it felt better than my G425.

I need to do more side by side comparisons to see if there is a considerable difference but for where my game is at, this over 2 year old Launcher XL might just be a better fit for my game.

Last edited:
Back