The local shop has some 921 Hot Metals currently for sale. I’m thinking about seeing if they will sell me the 4 and 5 from the top of the set. Or maybe look at the current FliHis just to mix it up a bit.
There has been times where I have contemplated even doing a 5 FliHi.

There has been times where I have contemplated even doing a 5 FliHi.

I am a huge fan of the Fli hi from the previous generation. Point and shoot.

Play two days in a row with the HMPs and like that I made the switch. The forgiveness is crazy good. I literally screwed up a swing with the 7I and super toed it and was shocked how good it came out. Center front of green. It should have never been that good of a miss lol. The flight, dissent, and spin is what I’m looking for and just tickled that I went back to the recoils and didn’t realize how much I missed that shaft until I got them back. HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY

12GIR today with the HMP's. As @Song Dog said, couldn't be happier with the Recoil shaft setup in F4, elbows and wrists are much better after the rounds.
Plenty of good forgiveness on mishits. One thing I have never noticed is any flyers giving me weird distances. I can shot the pin and know what club I need to pull and just take the wind into account.
Haven't had any issues holding greens so far thanks to a nice high ball flight.

I would happily do Fli-Hi in the 4 and 5 with HM 6-8 then HMP 9-GW. Sounds like a perfect user friendly set. Maybe all hot metals.

Big thread here so I'm sorry if this has been covered somewhere. Has anyone compared the HM to the forged 921s? Is the extra forgiveness worth it over any forged feel difference?

Big thread here so I'm sorry if this has been covered somewhere. Has anyone compared the HM to the forged 921s? Is the extra forgiveness worth it over any forged feel difference?

I hit the HM, HMPs, and Forged. Forged definitely felt a bit better then HMs but there wasn’t much difference for me from HMPs and HMs from feel perspective.

it’s so individualized though, I’d definitely suggest trying them out yourself

Here is my personal take. I went from 921 Forged 95 NEO Reg shaft to 921 HMPs Recoil F3 reg. All. in all there isn't too much feel difference between the two but there is a slight amount in my experience. Forge was and is awesome but I can get a lot more forgiveness in the HMPs. But going back to the Recoil shaft, for me was what the Dr ordered. You truly can't go wrong with either. Both are forgiving and feel great.

I moved from the MX-200 irons to the 921 Forged (w/KBS Tour 120g) and 921 Hot Metal Pro (w/Recoil 95).

The 8-PW of the 921 Forged will feel similar to the MX-200, since these clubs use the 1025e Forging. Seven (7) and up use the Chromoly 4120. The Hot Metal Pros (HMP) use the Chromoly 4140M.

The 921 Forged do feel softer and are plenty forgiving but do give up a little added length and forgiveness to the HMP. The HMPs do not feel harsh at all but are not as soft feeling as the Forged.

If you have been having good success with your MX-200s, I would recommend going into the 921 Forged. I expect you will gain about 5 more yards in distance and add a little extra forgiveness.

You are not that far away. The Villages will have one more Golf Festival on April 14th and 15th. Mizuno should be there. You will need to schedule an appointment with the Sarasota Golf Center (352-259-2080) and pay $25, which will go toward a club purchase if you buy. If you do decide to go that route. I would also try the Mizuno Pro 225s. Very nice...

You probably have the Dynalite shafts? I would suggest looking at the Recoil 95s in your appropriate flex.

Last edited:
I moved from the MX-200 irons to the 921 Forged (w/KBS Tour 120g) and 921 Hot Metal Pro (w/Recoil 95).

The 8-PW of the 921 Forged will feel similar to the MX-200, since these clubs use the 1025e Forging. Seven (7) and up use the Chromoly 4120. The Hot Metal Pros (HMP) use the Chromoly 4140M.

The 921 Forged do feel softer and are plenty forgiving but do give up a little added length and forgiveness to the HMP. The HMPs do not feel harsh at all but are not as soft feeling as the Forged.

If you have been having good success with your MX-200s, I would recommend going into the 921 Forged. I expect you will gain about 5 more yards in distance and add a little extra forgiveness.

You are not that far away. The Villages will have one more Golf Festival on April 14th and 15th. Mizuno should be there. You will need to schedule an appointment with the Sarasota Golf Center (352-259-2080) and pay $25, which will go toward a club purchase if you buy. If you do decide to go that route. I would also try the Mizuno Pro 225s. Very nice...

You probably have the Dynalite shafts? I would suggest looking at the Recoil 95s in your appropriate flex.

Fantastic info. Thank you. My Dad actually lives in Lecanto so I'm up that way often. I will definitely checkout the event. I do like the MX-200s, just looking for an upgraded version. I'm not a bad or great golfer, just a very rusty veteran golfer.

Thanks again. 🍺

Last edited:
Here is my personal take. I went from 921 Forged 95 NEO Reg shaft to 921 HMPs Recoil F3 reg. All. in all there isn't too much feel difference between the two but there is a slight amount in my experience. Forge was and is awesome but I can get a lot more forgiveness in the HMPs. But going back to the Recoil shaft, for me was what the Dr ordered. You truly can't go wrong with either. Both are forgiving and feel great.

Thank you for the great info. I will try both.

Decent iron day for the most part, 9 GIR. The distances of these are amazing, we had some 20+mph winds today and I never noticed any balls that would balloon on me. On a couple downwind shots I was able to take 2 clubs less than normal so that was fun to hit those distances.
The Recoils are a perfect match for this HMP iron, good consistency in dispersion and shot dampening so no stinging of hands when you catch one to low.

I spent a lot of time testing these two. For me I went with feel over the forgiveness. I hindsight there is a part of me wishes I had the HM in the 5 and maybe 6 iron. But that feeling when squaring the forged in intoxicating.

Today was a driver day at the range but took my Forged 7 iron to warm up. These irons feel
so good.

can anyone speak to forgiveness between the pro and hot metal? Looking to possibly pop a 5 and 6 Iron on top of my forged set and am debating between the two

can anyone speak to forgiveness between the pro and hot metal? Looking to possibly pop a 5 and 6 Iron on top of my forged set and am debating between the two
The HMPs is crazy forgiving. I've had the 921 Forges before the HMPs. They will blend nicely with the forges.

The HMPs is crazy forgiving. I've had the 921 Forges before the HMPs. They will blend nicely with the forges.
So noticeably more forgiving than the forged in your opinion?

I didn't play the forged, but did try them in my fitting. Definitely more forgiveness in the HMP.

I didn't play the forged, but did try them in my fitting. Definitely more forgiveness in the HMP.
Appreciate the feedback. I was seduced during my fitting with the feel or the forged and they performed similiarly in the fitting.

This may all be premature as I only have maybe a half dozen rounds on these irons but my philosophy in the middle part of my bag has changed over the past year. I’m simply trying to hit the ball with a standard flight onto the green with my five and six. Any help is a bonus.

I would happily do Fli-Hi in the 4 and 5 with HM 6-8 then HMP 9-GW. Sounds like a perfect user friendly set. Maybe all hot metals.

You'd have to do some magic with the lofts but that sounds like a fun set

The HMPs have been a serious ponder for me lately.

I did.....just now bought a 5 FliHi. Who knows, I could even end up with a 6 LOL These are crazy good

Back