Cleveland CBX ZipCore Wedges

Well, I bit the bullet. Ordered a 50, 54, and 58. Can't wait for them to get here and put them through the paces. :love:

These are definitely on the short list when it's time to refresh the wedges.

I just took the new 56° (Catalyst shaft) out for a quick round and it was incredible. Half shots to full shots were absolutely automatic and touch shots around the greens felt far less "jumpy" to me than my outgoing CBX2. Cleveland nailed it with this new model.

Conditions were challenging with super-firm turf, leaves, etc. (it was a balmy 39° and windy today in Rhode Island lol) but the new CBX was up for it all.

Though the differences aren't enormous, I think the CBX Zipcores feel better and are better looking than the previous two generations. They're a touch smaller and much more refined. The edges are softer, the hosel is longer, and the finish is beautiful (similar to the RTX Zipcores). The new CBX is cleaner and less GI-looking this time around.

Absolutely love it. So much so that I'm contemplating the 44 and 50.

Attachments

• 20220119_140254.jpg
    20220119_140254.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220119_122444.jpg
    20220119_122444.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
20220119_202034.jpg

Finally. Good news is that they're here. Bad news is I haven't the the slightest idea when I'll get to put them in play. Praying for Saturday. 🤞

I picked up this little beauty for Christmas and took it out for a spin. Weather has kept me limited to some short game and sim playing, but I am already seeing why this baby is going in the bag for sure.

41EEC619-6E1F-4B15-9794-CC9DBE042207.jpeg

85788B6D-9538-43F6-8584-FD2110BDBA96.jpeg
B7E5F2CB-C786-40DB-AFC2-4EC51151A624.jpeg

I am a big fan of Cleveland wedges and have the original ZipCore as my 54 and 62° so I was really excited to see what the new CBX ZipCore could do.

This wedge has bite. I am getting some beautiful spin numbers which I will post later today. I am also really liking the feel and the way the ball takes a bounce or two and spins slowly to a stop on my chip shots.

I like how the ball comes off the face and even when I hit off center (as being brand new I can see the ball mark very clearly) I still see consistency in roll.

I do use my wedges on full shots and the numbers were right in line. Within a few yards either way I will take that every round.

This is definitely worth looking at if wedges are a consideration this year for anyone.

How are the soles on these compared to the CBX2? I had the CBX2 and they were very nice on full, 1/2, and 3/4 shots. However, when trying to play a shot where I wanted to flop or open the face slightly the sole was too thick.

How are the soles on these compared to the CBX2? I had the CBX2 and they were very nice on full, 1/2, and 3/4 shots. However, when trying to play a shot where I wanted to flop or open the face slightly the sole was too thick.
The soles on the new ones are a touch more refined. The ridge in the V-sole is softened, for example. Overall, they're a smidgen smaller than the CBX2 as well.

I've only had experience with the sole on the 56, but I'd say it definitely prefers square-faced shots to being opened up. Could also be user error and the fact that I play on frozen tundra at my local course lol..

The main reason I upgraded (and ate the loss) is because the new model feels more predictable to me around the greens. Less jumpy.

I wanted to give some of my numbers on the ZipCore CBX vs my older Wedge.

Both are 58 degree, but I do have to point out that my SureOut 2 wedge is over a year older.

The main area I was looking for in comparing these two wedges was my spin numbers. My ZipCore 54 and 62 do produce a higher spin than my other wedges I have used over the years, and for me, that was the same here. I was seeing a much higher spin number on my full shots with the ZipCore CBX vs the SureOut 2 (9831 to 9511), the distance was very close and consistent between the two, but I did notice my clubhead swing was faster. Not sure why it was faster, maybe on those five swings I was just rotating better, I don't know. I also noticed my peak height was better with the ZipCore CBX.

Cleveland CBX.JPG

Around the green, only in the practice area as I haven't gotten out on the course yet, I do like the feel for the ZipCore CBX. The ball does stop when I need it to and has a beautiful feel and sound on my chip shots. I am looking very forward to getting this out on the course to try when the weather allows.

I am very much enjoying the wedge as I demo it on the sims and practice area.

Saw these today!:oops: Super impressed. Cleveland has done a great job on the sole hiding some of the width compared to the previous version of CBX. Cavity details are a little plain, but overall it’s a better looking wedge. I’ll admit, I was wrong.

Saw these today!:oops: Super impressed. Cleveland has done a great job on the sole hiding some of the width compared to the previous version of CBX. Cavity details are a little plain, but overall it’s a better looking wedge. I’ll admit, I was wrong.
One other thing that I noticed too (and i didn't at first until I took a good side by side look at my old CBX2) is that there's a bit more heel relief in the new Zipcore CBX. Certainly helps when you want to open up a 58*. 👍

These CBXes play out of sand fine, right?

I'm good on wedges for this year, but I have a 56* Vokey that might be retired after this season. The CBXes are awfully tempting as a sand club.

I just took the new 56° (Catalyst shaft) out for a quick round and it was incredible. Half shots to full shots were absolutely automatic and touch shots around the greens felt far less "jumpy" to me than my outgoing CBX2. Cleveland nailed it with this new model.

Conditions were challenging with super-firm turf, leaves, etc. (it was a balmy 39° and windy today in Rhode Island lol) but the new CBX was up for it all.

Though the differences aren't enormous, I think the CBX Zipcores feel better and are better looking than the previous two generations. They're a touch smaller and much more refined. The edges are softer, the hosel is longer, and the finish is beautiful (similar to the RTX Zipcores). The new CBX is cleaner and less GI-looking this time around.

Absolutely love it. So much so that I'm contemplating the 44 and 50.

I'm considering getting 54 and 58 CBX Zipcores but what really got my attention were the beautiful Red-Tri and Black-Tri Aussies. I currently have Cleveland 588 RTX wedges, a Red-Tri and a Blue Merle.

I was wrong too on the look. I wasn’t impressed with the early release photos, was in the store yesterday and a bag of wedges caught my eye, look closer and it was these. They look good in hand.

First time out with the CBX Zipcore 54 and 58. Yah, it was a sim, but it was the Old Course. As luck would have it, my second shots were quite good tonight, so I only got to hit three wedges.
  • Partial 58 from 41 yards. I had this partial shot down with my old Glides. This one flew over the flag, 51 yards, rolling back to 23 feet from the hole.
  • Full 54 from 75 yards. Flew 71 and stuck, 12 feet and left of the hole.
  • Partial 58 from 46 yards. Landed twelve feet past the hole and rolled back to 2.7 feet.
First impressions are great. I love the look at address, and that normally doesn't move the needle for me one way or another, but I feel like I can't miss. Feel is great. I don't have these dialed in yet, and I feel like they're working as well as my old Glides already.

Hit these at a fitting for the first time, felt good, but didn't any additional benefit from my CBX2, definitely looking at these for when the wedges need replacing at the end of the year

Got a chance to try these and I’m really impressed. I had a cbx2 58 in the past but left on a course unfortunately.

I think these will make the game a lot easier for me especially when I only get to go out a couple times per month now. Wonder if they will have a darker option anytime soon?

Decision mode.
Iron swing is off and couldn’t fall back on my trusty Altitude irons so I bought a used set 6-PW of them.

Now for a Gap Wedge
Do I buy the matching Altitude DW, the Zip CBX 50* or a Smart Sole 4.0 dark GW.

Leaning towards the Smart sole as my other wedges are the dark CBX full face and the smart sole C 4.0 dark

Decision mode.
Iron swing is off and couldn’t fall back on my trusty Altitude irons so I bought a used set 6-PW of them.

Now for a Gap Wedge
Do I buy the matching Altitude DW, the Zip CBX 50* or a Smart Sole 4.0 dark GW.

Leaning towards the Smart sole as my other wedges are the dark CBX full face and the smart sole C 4.0 dark
I have this same question. I tried both the 50* CBX Zipcore and the Smart Sole 4 Gap 50* head to head. The Smart Sole definitely felt more forgiving. It launched higher and had a greater peak height, carried about 5ish yrds more, but spun about 500-800 rpm less. The rollout was the same though as the higher launch/decent angle made up for the lower spin.

I have this same question. I tried both the 50* CBX Zipcore and the Smart Sole 4 Gap 50* head to head. The Smart Sole definitely felt more forgiving. It launched higher and had a greater peak height, carried about 5ish yrds more, but spun about 500-800 rpm less. The rollout was the same though as the higher launch/decent angle made up for the lower spin.
Nice feedback
I had the Gen 1 CBX in 46 and 50 and they never stuck but did bag the 56 and 60 for quite some time.

Put my new 56* CBX to the test in a round yesterday. I have used the Cobra MiM wedges exclusively since The Morgan Cup and the 56* has gotten so much use, the grooves in my sweet spot are just about gone. Not to mention the desert gouges on the sole of it. :ROFLMAO: The MiM wedges feel great and the ball is soft of the face which I like and am comfortable with.

Had a bit of range time to see how they felt before the round, and the first couple shots with the CBX had me a bit concerned as they felt a bit different when compared to the MiM's. Was not getting much launch on them, but was more than likely user than club. This was put to rest once I was out on course and had my first chip from 40 yds pop up and land within 6 feet of pin and just stop. Became even more comfortable with it after a few more holes and some good chip ups from around green and also from the sand.

Best chip on the day was from 30 yards out and put it to less than a foot of the hole for a tap in par.

This wedge has me sold on the feel of the ball off the face, and the performance around the greens. Had a particularly good round with my short game for the day.

Another couple rounds in with the 56* CBX Zipcore and this has earned it's way into the bag. Short game is a bright spot with my game at the moment and this club is really easy to hit and get up on to the green. If this keeps up, may add another in the bag to replace the 52*.

20220501_164257.jpg

Bought one as a gift today because seriously, for all the stuff going on with it and how easy these are, that's a damn good looking wedge. He's gonna love it.

View attachment 9085222

Bought one as a gift today because seriously, for all the stuff going on with it and how easy these are, that's a damn good looking wedge. He's gonna love it.
I have the 50, 54, and 58. I absolutely love them. Wedges used to give me the heebee jeebies. They are now one of the most comfortable clubs in my hand. Your gift recipient is going to be a happy camper. 👍

Just ordered a 54* and 58*. I’m really looking forward to these.

Back