TESTED! Cobra KING Tec Hybrid Review

This 3h has been on my radar for the MC club selections. I’ve never been good with a 3w so if this is as long and easy as everyone is saying, I’m rethinking going D/5W/3h and going D/2h/3h instead.

This 3h has been on my radar for the MC club selections. I’ve never been good with a 3w so if this is as long and easy as everyone is saying, I’m rethinking going D/5W/3h and going D/2h/3h instead.
I’ve played that way before with no complaints. Gotta play what works for you

Ill keep you posted but have the LTDx Max fairway incoming to challenge the 2 hybrid.

2h replaced my 5W. Someday I might grab a 4H to replace my 4i.

@Canadan nice watching your video for a refresh on this stick.

The adjustability of this just really takes it over the top for me comparing it to the LTDx. Certainly need to get them both in hand but from what I am reading not much forgiveness is lost in the King Tec.

The adjustability of this just really takes it over the top for me comparing it to the LTDx. Certainly need to get them both in hand but from what I am reading not much forgiveness is lost in the King Tec.
No forgiveness lost at all, and it is so adjustable in terms of loft that it can fit many places. The weights on the sole are moveable as well, and they make a huge difference to ball flight. I'm looking at a 4h to replace the 7w, and if they hit well in the fitting then I may well be using a 3h instead of the 5w as well. Bearing in mind that the Radspeed fairways are the best I've ever hit, that's a hell of an endorsement!

It’s really forgiving and long. It’s a good thing it’s adjustable because without a full gap session fitting it would easily push into other clubs

Was surprised when I saw the King Tec hybrid last week that they were a little on the husky side. As I am also on the portly side, I won’t hold that against it. ;)

At address it is hidden well by the color palette. But they are definitely larger than the LTDx hybrids. They are somewhere in size between a small fairway wood and a hybrid, similar to where Callaway has positioned their UW.

The LTDx looks to be a little draw biased and as someone with a history of hooking hybrids that is not appealing, so the King Tec is much more desirable to me with it’s flatter face and neutral bias, especially with its adjustability.

I’m looking at the King Tec 5H as a 4 iron replacement. Looking for it to be my 185-195 yard club slotting in between my 5 iron and 7 wood.

Was surprised when I saw the King Tec hybrid last week that they were a little on the husky side. As I am also on the portly side, I won’t hold that against it. ;)

At address it is hidden well by the color palette. But they are definitely larger than the LTDx hybrids. They are somewhere in size between a small fairway wood and a hybrid, similar to where Callaway has positioned their UW.

The LTDx looks to be a little draw biased and as someone with a history of hooking hybrids that is not appealing, so the King Tec is much more desirable to me with it’s flatter face and neutral bias, especially with its adjustability.

I’m looking at the King Tec 5H as a 4 iron replacement. Looking for it to be my 185-195 yard club slotting in between my 5 iron and 7 wood.
It will play stronger than the stated loft. It has a lot of speed in that face.

I am playing my 2H lofted up to try and keep it from 3W territory. Great club and love the adjustability.

I am playing my 2H lofted up to try and keep it from 3W territory. Great club and love the adjustability.
and I have the 2H lofted down to replace the 3w slot in the bag

love the versatility on these things.

Love this right here. My 3w is so bad and if I could play this 2H lofted down would be really nice for me.

What does your gapping look like between the two hybrid and your irons?

Love this right here. My 3w is so bad and if I could play this 2H lofted down would be really nice for me.
I do give up a little distance when comparing top end to top end but let's just say my 3 wood, really 4 wood, distance spread is large.

What does your gapping look like between the two hybrid and your irons?
2h - 225 (king tec)
3h - 215 (king tec)
4h - 200 (radspeed)

I am thinking the 2 h spread grows a bit as the 3h has much more data and the 2h only has shots in sub 50 degree weather, including multiple rounds in the 30's where you just don't much distance based on the cold and lack of clubhead speed due being bundled up

I play my 19 at stated loft and it’s a smooth easy 230 carry. 17 UW is 240-245 with the same swing.

2h - 225 (king tec)
3h - 215 (king tec)
4h - 200 (radspeed)

I am thinking the 2 h spread grows a bit as the 3h has much more data and the 2h only has shots in sub 50 degree weather, including multiple rounds in the 30's where you just don't much distance based on the cold and lack of clubhead speed due being bundled up
I play my 19 at stated loft and it’s a smooth easy 230 carry. 17 UW is 240-245 with the same swing.
If this is the case and these really are as easy to hit as advertised, I think the D, 2h, 3h set up might be the way to go.

Current set up is D(9°) / 4w(17°) / 3 ui (19.5°). I love the 4w and the 3ui off the tee if driver isn’t right but they’re both so inconsistent off the deck.

If this is the case and these really are as easy to hit as advertised, I think the D, 2h, 3h set up might be the way to go.

Current set up is D(9°) / 4w(17°) / 3 ui (19.5°). I love the 4w and the 3ui off the tee if driver isn’t right but they’re both so inconsistent off the deck.
If just added the LTDx Max fairway to the my mix of top of bag options. Early returns are that it's a bit longer off the tee and just as easy off the deck (with a sample size of one :ROFLMAO:). I will keep the threads updated with my experience but if fairway woods have always given you issues it's an option, for sure.

I was looking at 4H before I got into the edel experience but am waiting to see if the new set has a 4i and how I hit it. Ideally, I can play this 2h at stated loft not and 210-220 and then a more consistent club in the 4 spot. But I don’t trust my OL 4i much and have been using the 2H for most shots 185-220. When at stated loft, if there was trouble over 215 I didn’t want to hit 2h. Lofted I have hit 215, but 205 is my plan.

6A021D99-9697-4B48-92D7-C4E4A68B47D2.png

Last edited:
I do give up a little distance when comparing top end to top end but let's just say my 3 wood, really 4 wood, distance spread is large.

Right. For me I swear I mishit/top my 3 Wood half the time so losing ten yards and hitting it well would be well worth it.

happened to be coming over to Lowes and there’s a Roger Dunn next door. Grabbed it and hit 10 shots real quick. I’m in love!
D2431BD6-1138-4DED-ABE1-7B28DA9F24B9.jpeg
0C982BA5-7B51-4525-9444-3E2F06F9F460.jpeg
2DBE572F-0F22-4495-8DC0-377F424CC5BE.jpeg

Bumping this for some input:

Top of my bag is the Apex UW 17 degree. I can do most reasonable things with it and a full swing flushed is about a 240 carry. It has been as high as 250 off of tee. Not changing.
Next is the King Tec 19 degree set at 18 degree draw setting. I can carry it 235 on a perfect shot but consistently hit it 220-225 without any worries or difficulty. Settings really are just due to ball flight.

King Tour 4 iron. When perfect its a great 200 carry and feels amazing. Problem is, I hit my 5 iron 190 consistently without being afraid of it. I can't say that about the 4 iron. I don't even attempt to game the 3 iron.

I need a 205-210 carry club. Only time I use clubs in this range is par 3s and the +500 par 5s. It is a weakness on approach noted on my Arccos and it seems it is trickling into other clubs trying to swing to hard with the 4 iron down through the bag.

I've decided on another King Tour. I am ok with 20 yard gap at this part of the bag. Considering I play the 3H at 18D, would I be a safer bet to get a 5H and play it at 23D for the purpose of ball flight, or loft up a 4H and adjust weights? I really would prefer to stay with Cobra on this club. I've hit all the others and the only change I would consider is Ping G425 4H that I can loft up and flatten.

Open for suggestions.

Have you considered any versions of the LTDx or LTDx Max 22.5 deg. 7 wood? It is also adjustable.

Have you considered any versions of the LTDx or LTDx Max 22.5 deg. 7 wood? It is also adjustable.
7 wood was a disaster last year. Couldn’t keep flight down

Based on how you intended to use the club I thought a 7 wood might give you a high trajectory to hold greens. Could always put a low trajectory shaft in I guess.

I switch out my 7 wood for my 4 utility iron when it is windy. Another option if you are looking for lower ball flight.

Back