Anybody have a chance to compare the HMPs to the 225s? How much forgiveness do you give up with the HMPs if any? I've been seeing some good deals on clean used sets of HMPs but those 225s are calling me.

Anybody have a chance to compare the HMPs to the 225s? How much forgiveness do you give up with the HMPs if any? I've been seeing some good deals on clean used sets of HMPs but those 225s are calling me.
Just got a demo 225 7I in and compared to my HMP 7I, you will loose forgiveness from the HMP BUT the 225 has plenty of forgiveness.

Just got a demo 225 7I in and compared to my HMP 7I, you will loose forgiveness from the HMP BUT the 225 has plenty of forgiveness.

Thanks for the input. I understand that it's just the 7i but if the HMP were a 10 on a 1-10 scale of forgiveness, where would you put the 225? I held some 225s at the shop and they looked great. How's the feel compare?

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I understand that it's just the 7i but if the HMP were a 10 on a 1-10 scale of forgiveness, where would you put the 225? I held some 225s at the shop and they looked great. How's the feel compare?
Is say a strong 7 to an 8. The feel was really good. Feel between the two, hard to say, I didn’t hit it enough. With limited time I’d say their somewhat close. For myself, I wouldn’t hesitate to play the 225s it’s good

PSA: Don't blade the forged 8 iron from Cincinnati to what felt like Detroit in 35 deg weather. It is not the Mizuno feel you are looking for.

As I sit and ruminate over my poor ball striking the last few times out, has anyone been crazy enough to blend hot metals with pros and with forged?

As I sit and ruminate over my poor ball striking the last few times out, has anyone been crazy enough to blend hot metals with pros and with forged?
The Hot Metals are good enough to play on their own. I imagine some gap issues would occur without manipulation of lofts

What would be the reasoning?

why would you want pros if you were worried about ball striking? feel like HMP is where you want to live?

What would be the reasoning?
Only that I have a full set of forged and recently added the Hot Metals in the 5 and 6 slot. I went Hot Metal thinking that if going for foregiveness might as well go all in, especially since I have the forged.

So then debating if I would get the HMPs in the 7 and possibly 8. I love the feel of the forged on the 9 and wedges being the 1025E and the solidness it gives me when striking it, both around the green and with little 3/4 approach shots so those stay. I like the look of the HMP better than the Hot Metals, acknowledging the smaller heel to toe impacts forgiveness, especially in the 7 and 8 slot. Not sure why it doesn’t as much in the 5 iron, maybe because all I want out of a five iron is to go high and far.

No real reason otherwise. I certainly wouldn’t go with that set composition if starting from scratch.

Only that I have a full set of forged and recently added the Hot Metals in the 5 and 6 slot. I went Hot Metal thinking that if going for foregiveness might as well go all in, especially since I have the forged.

So then debating if I would get the HMPs in the 7 and possibly 8. I love the feel of the forged on the 9 and wedges being the 1025E and the solidness it gives me when striking it, both around the green and with little 3/4 approach shots so those stay. I like the look of the HMP better than the Hot Metals, acknowledging the smaller heel to toe impacts forgiveness, especially in the 7 and 8 slot. Not sure why it doesn’t as much in the 5 iron, maybe because all I want out of a five iron is to go high and far.

No real reason otherwise. I certainly wouldn’t go with that set composition if starting from scratch.
Gotcha. Tinkering is fun. I have said for a bit that if one is a point and shoot golfer, meaning not interested in flighting or working the ball, grab the most forgiveness you can tolerate.

Gotcha. Tinkering is fun. I have said for a bit that if one is a point and shoot golfer, meaning not interested in flighting or working the ball, grab the most forgiveness you can tolerate.

i went HMP’s in my 5-7 for forgiveness. For some reason my long irons are not as consistent as 8-GW. That being big said, the scoring irons are plenty forgiving and paired with the right ball can be really fun to play.

Yep, mostly a tinker and thought as I sat on my couch instead of making the 25 minute drive to the range.

After going 4 hybrid last year I’m clearly in the camp of if point and shoot go for forgiveness which is where I feel like I am with the 5 and 6. Occasionally I will still try and enjoy trying to shape something starting at the 7 iron. For example just over the weekend hit a nice cut around the tree that needed to be about one more foot outside to not clip the last branch…

It may be to the detriment of my score in the long run but and enhancement to my enjoyment of the game in the long run.

Ive heard the HMPs are just a touch easier to work and hence the ponder.

My 2 HDCP playing partner says this too, and practices what he preaches with his bag. Made me feel better about my decision to go full GI.

This resonates so loud with me. I can play what I have and really enjoy them, but I have to play a lot of golf to use them consistently. My next set will be in that HMP/HM size range. Maybe with Fli Hi 4-6.

So I think the 8 iron was reading the boards this week. Had a nice range session and started to bring the ball striking back under control. The forged 8 iron feels so good when struck well.

So I think the 8 iron was reading the boards this week. Had a nice range session and started to bring the ball striking back under control. The forged 8 iron feels so good when struck well.
Those 921 Forged do feel good. I just had mine reshafted into the Recoil 95.

Last hole, last round, tucked left pin behind a sand trap. I call “going to the middle of the green and drawing it to the pin”. Worked out even better than I expected.

I’m going to try and stick with these for awhile…

I’m going to try and stick with these for awhile…
I’m excited to give these an extended run in the bag. With being lucky enough to get into the Morgan Cup last year I only played a handful of rounds and then was all Cobra until this past winter when I alternated sets. Going to stick with these through June exclusively. I’m looking forward to it.

Such tough choices with so many great options within Mizuno’s offerings. I’ve been thinking about the 921F for awhile but ended up going with MP20 HMB’s then the 225’s came out. I ended up returning the HMB’s and was about to pull the trigger on 225’s but ended up with 921HM instead.

Thought to myself since I only get to play maybe twice a month nowadays and don’t practice, went with the most forgiving option instead. Think I made the right choice given I’m more of point and shoot as stated above, plus I personally don’t have the skills to work shots on purpose at least.

The 921 Forged with Recoil 95 shafts continue to shine for me. Very consistent!

For those of you who have actual off-seasons like us in the Great White North, when you pick up your clubs the first time the next season, do they ever just feel off to you?
My 921Fs felt pretty foreign to me at the range last Friday... hopefully that passes.
Could also be I only played so few rounds with them last year since I got them so late that I just don't have a muscle memory yet.

For those of you who have actual off-seasons like us in the Great White North, when you pick up your clubs the first time the next season, do they ever just feel off to you?
My 921Fs felt pretty foreign to me at the range last Friday... hopefully that passes.
Could also be I only played so few rounds with them last year since I got them so late that I just don't have a muscle memory yet.
Every year when I grab my clubs after the 6 month break (or 7/8/9 month), the first range sessions is just absolute catastrophe. Long irons especially.

I will usually go through multiple buckets on short game, and 7 iron to gw, really just trying to regain tempo and contact, and build confidence back.

I usually think it is from an off-season wearing mittens in the cold the whole time. Like my hands just need time to start working again.

Yes first few sessions at the range or even first few holes of the first round (or two) take some warming up/getting used to clubs.

I bought a launch monitor over the winter this year to keep in shape and not have the early season "lost" feeling. Well going from mats to real grass has an adjustment period too...but that seemed to pass quickly. Clubs at least felt comfortable

Started to find it again and hit a few nice balls with the 921F. They do feel quite lovely. I was particularly impressed with the stopping power of the GW. I caught one that came out low and was worried about skipping over but it put on the breaks real fast.

Back