PRGR Portable Launch Monitor Review

I have used the PRGR a few times outside without the tripod and it seems to be much more accurate. I had it on the range today and it correlated almost exactly with what I see on TrackMan indoors. The only difference is that I do not think that the PRGR is calibrating for elevation, so the distance is closer to what I would see at sea level, but for practice, the ball speed and swing speed numbers are amazingly close, hitting 7 irons, Callaway UWs, three wood and driver. I am back to being very excited about this device again.

I hit some balls with it out on a grass field. I only used pw. It was wildly inconsistent with swing speed, ranging anywhere from high 60’s, to 86 mph. All of the swings were full swings, so it definitely was not reading club speed correctly. TrackMan generally shows me at 78 to 80 with a full swing pw. So, my first experience was not the most favorable. I will try it again with some other clubs, when I can get on a real range.
Same here Tenputt. I was hitting sandwedge at 74 mph with 1.09 SF and getting 70 yards.
I couldn't believe that so I ramped it up and said I hit at 91 mph, 1.01 SF and got 78 yards.
It registers my sandwedge faster than my driver.
I hit some 7 irons that I know would carry 160 on the course and it was giving me 135 ish.
Maybe I need better light or something.

I had my PRGR with me for yesterday’s round. The play was so slow, I was able to set it up for most of my tee balls on the back 9. It was interesting to watch my efficiency and swing speed fade over the last three or four holes. This does not happen if I have not practiced a lot, but I hit balls three times this week and hit balls before the round. My joints get sore with that much ball striking and it was graphically evident with the PRGR.

This device is far from perfect, but it isn’t a $10,000 piece of equipment. It is very useful and provides enough baseline information to make it well worth the affordable price, imo.

I had my PRGR with me for yesterday’s round. The play was so slow, I was able to set it up for most of my tee balls on the back 9. It was interesting to watch my efficiency and swing speed fade over the last three or four holes. This does not happen if I have not practiced a lot, but I hit balls three times this week and hit balls before the round. My joints get sore with that much ball striking and it was graphically evident with the PRGR.

This device is far from perfect, but it isn’t a $10,000 piece of equipment. It is very useful and provides enough baseline information to make it well worth the affordable price, imo.

At this point, I do not believe the numbers. It does however, show trends and deviations when you change something up and that is useful.

My main complaint so far; I can absolutely flush one, knowing it was the best strike of the session, and it won't register, invariably.
Also the fact that I can be swinging, say, a 7 iron and it'll show one set of numbers. If I set the device to 5 it'll show different set of numbers.
To me, swing speed is swing speed and shouldn't be adjusting according to what number of iron you swing. It's almost like it back calculates a swing speed or something.

Last edited:
At this point, I do not believe the numbers. It does however, show trends and deviations when you change something up and that is useful.

My main complaint so far; I can absolutely flush one, knowing it was the best strike of the session, and it won't register, invariably.
Also the fact that I can be swinging, say, a 7 iron and it'll show one set of numbers. If I set the device to 5 it'll show different set of numbers.
To me, swing speed is swing speed and shouldn't be adjusting according to what number of iron you swing. It's almost like it back calculates a swing speed or something.
When you say it shows a different set of numbers, what numbers are you referencing? Club speed should be constant, but the built in algorithms definitely would change the ball speed and distance with different club settings, because different clubs will produce differing launch and spin.

Age catching up to you. :LOL:

The numbers built into the PRGR for each club may not line up with the loft of the clubs you are using. When I’m hitting my 7 iron, I use the 6 iron setting because my clubs have stronger lofts. Swing speeds generally go up as the club gets longer. The club head on a 4 iron is moving faster than a 9 iron with exactly the same swing

For me, where this device is helpful is to identify trends, as has been mentioned.

When you say it shows a different set of numbers, what numbers are you referencing? Club speed should be constant, but the built in algorithms definitely would change the ball speed and distance with different club settings, because different clubs will produce differing launch and spin.

swing speed, ball speed.

The numbers built into the PRGR for each club may not line up with the loft of the clubs you are using. When I’m hitting my 7 iron, I use the 6 iron setting because my clubs have stronger lofts. Swing speeds generally go up as the club gets longer. The club head on a 4 iron is moving faster than a 9 iron with exactly the same swing

Like I said, when swinging 7 iron it shows one set of numbers with the device set at 7I. I change the device to 5I still swinging 7I, swing speed goes up 8 or 10 mph.
Swing speed shoud be swing speed no matter what club is entered.

swing speed, ball speed.

Like I said, when swinging 7 iron it shows one set of numbers with the device set at 7I. I change the device to 5I still swinging 7I, swing speed goes up 8 or 10 mph.
Swing speed shoud be swing speed no matter what club is entered.
I'll have to check this when I'm hitting balls the next time to see how it reacts. I did just try it inside on practice swings and the swing speed was the same on 7 iron, 5 iron, and sand wedge swinging my 7 iron.

On the range I notice the swing speed sometimes being off so I've been using the ball speed and yardages to check my consistency during my practice.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

I'll have to check this when I'm hitting balls the next time to see how it reacts. I did just try it inside on practice swings and the swing speed was the same on 7 iron, 5 iron, and sand wedge swinging my 7 iron.

On the range I notice the swing speed sometimes being off so I've been using the ball speed and yardages to check my consistency during my practice.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
I think that this sums up my experience. The swing speed doesn’t change when I switch clubs, but the swing speed varies overall in its accuracy. However, the ball speed is pretty accurate, as well as the distance (although calibrated to sea level distance).

I just ordered one of these and am looking forward to using it. I'm less than a thousand feet above sea level, so I don't see that being a problem.

well, I must've had some anomalies the other day. I checked this morning and it was within a couple of mph on every swing, even changing the iron on the device

Might need to turn off and turn back on sometimes if things are getting strange!🤷‍♂️

The PRGR is great for swing speed training! I needed something that would measure the non-ball contact swings. The device measures club and ball speed and estimates distance. When you understand that carry is not measured, then you will not be surprised by the yardage variance. I've been very confident in the yardage with dialing in my short game. I didn't purchase this to gap my clubs, so the wedge accuracy was a bonus. Unless you are moving up to the 2K+ device range, I can live with spending $220ish (I actually purchased my for $189) to get roughly the same reading errors from the $500+ portable devices.

Can't get an answer. All my numbers seem to off by about 2 clubs. Example 7 iron reads 9 iron distance. Consistent through the bag. Please help??

I have a PRGR setup in my indoor hitting mat/net. I have measured it against higher end devices such as foresight and it is fairly accurate for iron shots. Usually +/- 5yds or so. With my hybrid it is a little off. However, that might be because I have this bizarre single length Cobra F9 hybrid which probably throws off whatever calibration they might have done. It is also a bit spotty on the driver detection as well. I have to fiddle with the distance to the ball/net to get it to detect properly. Even then it doesn't pick up every shot. Maybe 85% of shots are registered. A little annoying, but for a $200 device, and my limited skill set it provides some useful feedback as I hit against a net.

Any recent reviews of this unit? How is holding up over time. Looking for something to take to the range just to make practice sessions more interesting

The PRGR is great for swing speed training! I needed something that would measure the non-ball contact swings. The device measures club and ball speed and estimates distance. When you understand that carry is not measured, then you will not be surprised by the yardage variance. I've been very confident in the yardage with dialing in my short game. I didn't purchase this to gap my clubs, so the wedge accuracy was a bonus. Unless you are moving up to the 2K+ device range, I can live with spending $220ish (I actually purchased my for $189) to get roughly the same reading errors from the $500+ portable devices.
^^^This is my take on it as well.
My $500 device had 18-20 yards of rollout....on a 7 iron. On rock hard greens I don't get half that.
If it somehow could show launch direction it'd sure be worth every penny, but then again...the net will tell you that.
Sometimes I will get 1.45 SF with a 7 iron. I just figure one of the 2 actual readings got misfigured, but I still know I had pretty good contact. If you pay attention to the details it will teach you a few things...hitting down will gain SF as will an attack from the inside. We all pretty well figured that, but this verifies it. Invariably when I know I've done those 2 things, the SF goes thru the roof!

Back