Cleveland Golf Huntington Beach SOFT and SOFT Premier Putters

How did they add the site line? If it’s permanent I didn’t think that would make it illegal
It’s automotive pinstriping. So I guess that would qualify as tape.

Edit: I just found a USGA Equipment Rules interpretation about the 1/4" which I've included, but It doesn't cover the situation of adding tape.

"• Certain features are permitted to extend into the face of a putter, including alignment features and concavities (or furrows) on the crown (see Section below on Furrows and Runners). However, such features must not have a depth or height greater than 0.25 inches (6.35 mm) when measured against the top line of the face ."

But...
The issue as I understand it in this case is that one cannot add any external item for alignment unless it iis "semi-permanent." Presuming autobody tape is still removeable, as I suggested to erock offline recently, it does NOT qualify as legal for USGA handicapping and play. One can add lead tape tom a club for weight only, but not alignment. (in fact, if lead tape you added for weight comes off during a round you are supposed to try to get it back to the weight you started the round with if possible.)
Following a quote from the USGA Equipment Gude, followed by a link to it (scroll down to page 13). That is MY interpretation and from other reading on this issue in the past.
However I am not a qualified Rules expert and I am not going to get into further discussion on it. If someone wants to get a definitive answer, I suggest they pose the Q to the USGA.
Here's the quote and USGA Equipment Rules link:

"• Attachments to the clubhead (other than the face), such as protective coverings, decorative items or alignment aids, provided the item is semi-permanent. However, such items must not excessively protrude from the clubhead and must conform to the shape of the clubhead"

Last edited:
I would think automotive pinstriping is semi-permanent. To me, that means it stays on till it's purposely removed.

I would think automotive pinstriping is semi-permanent. To me, that means it stays on till it's purposely removed.
"
If you Google "is automobile pinstriping considered ok as an alignment aid for a putter?" it probably will take you to another golf site where the consensus is it isn't legal. As erock said, he isn't in tourney play, doesn't keep USGA cap, so really it isn't a big issue for him that way.

But as I said,[ in the post when I said I would not comment again (lol)], speculation on here is just that. If one wants a proper answer, go to the USGA.

Last edited:
Anyone gaming this? The new Mizuno is really my hold up in taking a flyer in one. D9DCFF22-6D02-4548-9FE2-2839152685D5.png

How did they add the site line? If it’s permanent I didn’t think that would make it illegal

Also curious as to why you think this is not legal.

Looks nice.

As for my site line. When I got fitted the fitter said they do this for a bunch of people they fit. I can’t imagine they would do this knowing it’s illegal. Next time in their shop I’m going to ask about it. I’m sure it would come off but I’m guessing it would take a heat gun to remove it. I believe they had to use heat to apply it as well.

@hedley_lamarr08 I'm gaming the CLEVELAND HUNTINGTON BEACH SOFT #11 CENTER SHAFT and like it a lot. Good feel, alignment is very easy, inside of 15 feet very confident, longer lag putting is a work in process but the confidence of making a 3 to 5 foot come-backer makes up for imperfect lags

1648860485283.png

I had the HB #1 when they first came out and gave it away. I was just telling @J.B. Cobb III today I miss that thing.

Few rds so far with my HB Soft Premier 8.
Accordingly to ShotScope my avg length of putts made has gone from 3’ up to 6’.

Longest putt last year was 24.1’. So far had a 52.7’, a 30 footer. 45 footer and several 18-20 footers.

And strokes gained putting - last year was putting similar to a 25 cap (play to around a 10 cap) compared to this year, putting like a 11.5 cap.

Few rds so far with my HB Soft Premier 8.
Accordingly to ShotScope my avg length of putts made has gone from 3’ up to 6’.

Longest putt last year was 24.1’. So far had a 52.7’, a 30 footer. 45 footer and several 18-20 footers.

And strokes gained putting - last year was putting similar to a 25 cap (play to around a 10 cap) compared to this year, putting like a 11.5 cap.
I've retired my HB Soft Premier #8 (face balanced) as I just didn't love the heavier weight after I played with it for a few months. I'm back to my Scotty Newport which I've been rolling well. I think the all black putter look is amazing though and even though I own a Scotty the Cleveland looks so much "cooler" to me. I'll eventually get a proper putter fitting then I'll get it customized next offseason to be blacked out :)

I hope you keep up the good putting. Cleveland to me is the most underrated golf brand there is

Rolled some putts with a 10.5 in the store and was making everything inside 10 feet. Went back another day and more of the same. About ready to carry my custom fit Edel into the store and do a formal head 2 head competition lol. Very tempting to just buy it, seems easy to align and sits perfect when you sole it behind the ball.

I have the HBS 11. I went to the PGASS several times last summer. Every time I tried this putter I liked it. When I bought it in early August I was aver 36.5 putts per round. Brutal. By the end of the year I was down to 33.

I just got a really nice deal on a used #6 at the Golf Galaxy nearest me..... great feeling putter. I don't love the blue grip... it is a midsize, but I'd prefer something a bit bigger and a bit less slick so I'll be changing that soon.

I really want one of the Premium Soft 10.5's though...

After a lot of thought, and a win in my putter shootout on the practice green this week, my HB Soft Premier 11S is going to get gamed for the rest of the season.

At the end of last season, I finally found a comfort zone with this putter, the putts started dropping more often, and I posted a PB score.........I promptly went out and bought a new putter in the offseason, and tossed the 11S to the side.

Struggles this season pushed me back towards the HB Soft Premier 11S. I started to find it easier to align on short putts. Nothing like sinking a bunch of 3-6 footers to build confidence, but on the flip side missing a bunch of them (like the majority) with another putter really cemented the switch.

I've really gotten into a groove on the "must make putts", rolling pretty reliably where I want it (yes I still have a wonky stroke from time to time).

The milling on the face really helps to minimize errors due to a "less than perfect" stroke, and when you are a less than perfect golfer, you need all the help you can get!

My 11S is getting an extension put back into it today. Adding about 1.5" back into it, after shortening it 2" when I first bought it.

Originally when I picked it up (during the first covid Christmas), I just bought what I could get. Grabbed a 35", but always have it in my head that I am a better putter with a shorter setup.

A couple seasons later, I am finally coming around to being less hunched over when putting. Trying to stay more upright, getting in a better stance, and it just makes the stroke feel slightly easier. (Who knows how bad it is on my back at the end of the round being so hunched when putting).

Epoxied an aluminum shaft extension in. Probably a bit overkill. Could have just taped it in for testing, but hey, lets do it somewhat right.

The 11S is just really framing the ball well for me, leading to a lot more confidence on short/mid putts, and lag putting is probably as good as it has been in years. Looking forward to getting this gripped back up again, and get more rounds in when I head on vacation again on Thursday.

Extension all cured up. Grip put back on. Ready to go again!

Really need to start ordering a better length and leaving it without cutting down for a bit lol. The irony was the old cutoff was still in my club bits, all in all maybe a 1/2 inch difference from stock when all done.
20230710_163024.jpg

27 holes in the books this weekend after extending my 11s again.

After the first 9 I threw a 2nd putter in the bag, just trying to see if my struggles would fix themselves with a putter change.

Didn't need to change it. Putted well the majority of the day. The odd outlier here or there, but overall I was rolling it smoothly the entire 18. Getting comfortable again with it, speed is getting to be reliable, and aside from a bad here or there, we are getting confidence back again.

Highlights of the round? Sinking an 8 footer for birdie, and having it be a no-doubter.

Loving how I have started putting with my 11S again. Putting that extension back in really helped get to get me back into a more comfortable position over the ball again.

Still rolling my 11S, putting this season has gotten better and better since committing to it again.

Its funny being so enamored with a putter again, and one that I tried to knock out of the bag for the better part of an entire season last year. It wasn't until my final round last year that things really clicked with the putter. Fast forward to the spring, and I wanted to go with the #11 Milled..... and struggled. Since switching back, I am putting more confidently, have better speed control, and am making more putts.

The face milling definitely hides some of my deficiencies when it comes from hitting that sweet spot. Speed is pretty consistent overall, with minimal loss hitting outside of the optimal zone on the putter face.

Back