Forum Testing - Nike VR Pro Combo Irons

Thanks, THP and Nike! I think I've gone through every iron review on this site, looking for the next set. Love gear.

1. What irons do you currently play?
Mizuno MX-300s, GS95 shafts, 2 deg upright, 1/2 in short

2. What is your handicap index?
18, with putting being my main weakness

3. What do you look for in an iron set?
Straight ball flight, good swingweight, and clean looks. Feel is important too, but I think the great feeling of hitting the ball where I want outweighs the great feeling of a buttery club. If I can have it all, then that is cause for celebration.

4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons?
These look great, from the look of the club to the technology built in.

5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP?
I just moved to NYC for work, but I chose to live in NJ so I can golf. I golf whenever I can, even if it means putting across my living room. Fortunately work is sometimes conducive to golf as well -- on a recent week-long work trip I played as many rounds of golf as I had meetings (5). The testing will begin with photos at home, move to the driving range for initial thoughts, iron by iron, and to find my groove, then take them out on the course for some real-world testing. Who knows, maybe some video? Of course, some real-time tweets for the immediate reactions.

Thanks for the opportunity and excited to be a part of the community.

Just realized I didn't mention frequency. I go to the range 2-3x/week, 4 rounds/month, and will post during and after each session. Yes!

Man, can not wait for results...checking everyday!!

Man, can not wait for results...checking everyday!!

Read the last couple of pages and you will see when testers are picked. We even give some insight over the last five pages or so on how testers are picked.

Yeah, we know, you're left handed and don't get the chance to participate in many testings. Let it go already. The constant digs probably don't help your cause.

remember that from now on then.

What a great opportunity, it looks like this has generated a lot of new members for THP too! I'm going to have to swing by the golf shop this weekend and take a look at these in person. Nike was the first non-hand-me-down set of irons I ever had but I was generally under the impression that, other than the blades, they were more for that stepping stone between beginner and hacker haha. From what I am reading though a lot of people loved these at the THP outing.

I am more excited than ever for this opportunity to test the irons. I stopped by my local GolfSmith this week and scoped out the VR Pro's - sweet! I think I mentioned this in my first post/entry - I would really like to test these with a heavy, extra stiff steel shaft. I think those shafts and these irons would be GIR machines! I can't wait until Friday!

1.Current irons: TM TP CB's
2.Handicap index: 7.6
3.I look for feel and workability
4. These irons have a very clean and sharp look to them
5. Now that its summertime I will have a lot more time to devote to playing golf, as well as, being more involved on the site.

1. What irons do you currently play? Top Flight Tour

2. What is your handicap index? 13-15

3. What do you look for in an iron set? Consistent feel

4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Like the slim look. Not used to the "chunky" view of some of the irons.

5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP --Member of a club and I play at least 3 times a week. Some rounds are for scoring and some are purely practice. I also live in a rural area and can hit balls out into the fields around my house. I typically swing clubs daily. (have been trying to really improve my game since last fall.) Before last fall that i played once or twice a year. As far as activity on THP I'm a reader more than a contributor, but testing these irons would give me the opportunity to contribute.

1. What irons do you currently play? Cobra FP irons 4-GW
2. What is your handicap index? 18
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Solid heads, good grooves to control the ball when hit and a great shaft
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Crisp, Clean and Ready to be hammered away on the course
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I currently go 2 times a week to hit balls at the local course and also play once a week at least. Also I have a net system in my back yard that allows me to hit balls any time that I want to. If I feel the itch to hit then I have the ability to play anytime. I have loved every day since I have joined THP. THP is not just a forum for those that love the game that we are passionate about, we converse, get together at yearly events (annual THP golf outing....hoping the wife will let me go this year :p), share tons of stories, always on top of the newest of gadgets, clubs and anything you can think of, on top of that all, the site is run professionally and updated daily with great topics, pictures and reviews that I can read for days. Thanks goes out to JB and his team for making and running this site. It has truely been a blessing for me in my pursuit to improve my game. I also try to get on multiple times daily to read up on any new posts, especially putters at home and if I can without my managers sneaking in on me read it at work as well :)

I have done quite a bit of Internet research on these irons since this opportunity has arisen. I have never hit a Nike iron, but am now very intrigued. The thought behind these type of iron sets is cutting edge and I feel that combo sets will become the norm in the next couple of years. I would be honored to test these irons, but regardless, there are many qualified and articulate testers on THP and I will follow this thread intently whether I am picked or not. Thanks to Nike and THP for this opportunity.

Since joining I can not believe the many opportunities that THP gives to the forum members to try out amazing new equipment. You want to hear how the clubs really play, join THP and read first hand trials and experiences that no magazine can give you. Thanks goes to Nike and THP for a great opportunity to try these out.

I love these irons. I'd be so pumped to actually get to spend some quality time with these bad boys :D

Still crossing my fingers!

I love these irons. I'd be so pumped to actually get to spend some quality time with these bad boys :D

I second that........keeping my fingers crossed

Great opportunitiy!

1. What irons do you currently play? -> Adams a7os, for lefties
2. What is your handicap index? -> over 30
3. What do you look for in an iron set? -> distance
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? -> hybrids of MB, CB looked just awesome. These are for people like me.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? -> I play 18 holes 3-4 times a week, if weather permitting. I am totally satisfied with the forgiveness of Adams a70os, but the overall & inconsistent distance was always a problem for me.

1. What irons do you currently play? Walter Hagen T3 set, Got the all in one set when i got back into golf

2. What is your handicap index? 20... I shoot right around 90 a round
3. What do you look for in an iron set? It all comes down to feel, I look for an Iron that is weighted nice and feels right through out my swing.

4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? very stylish, I like the black and red accents with the polished silver look of the club head. Simple yet very eye catching in my opinion.

5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I am really working on my game right now including iron play. I go to the range twice a week and I play a round a week on average. I also do alot of chipping in my yard. I will be able to update twitter and THP with reviews 3-5 times a week.

1. What irons do you currently play? Callaway Diablo Edge 4-AW
2. What is your handicap index? 12 I shoot 84-85 a round.
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Something that looks good and aspires confidence. It has to have good feel and consistent distance control.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I love the look of them. The red and black color scheme goes very well together. They caught my eye right away.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I have an indoor hitting area in my basement, so I can hit there everyday. I also go to the range several times a week. I play 2-3 times a week, but with my high school season starting this summer, i will get to play everyday. I will be able to post my reviews on THP and Facebook every day.

Last edited:
Well, I figured a good first post as a new member of the THP would be to jump right in!

Here is my bid for the Nike Pro Combo testing...NOTE: I can bring something very interesting to this test. Read on for details.

1. What irons do you currently play? Today, I play Taylormade rac OS irons DG Reg, Std Std...HOWEVER, yesterday I ordered my new set of Taylormade MC Forged 3-PW DG S300 2UP Hard-Stepped and couldn't me more excited to get them in a couple weeks! Keep reading for the unique testing angle.

2. What is your handicap index? 12 and falling

3. What do you look for in an iron set? I have been (understandably) hitting my irons higher than heaven for as long as I can remember, so a big thing I am looking for is a lower trajectory and more control in my shot making, working the ball both ways, and above all a smooth feel with good, but not painful, feedback.

4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? IMO, Nike is like the Miami Heat...you love 'em or you hate 'em. Looks alone, I have fallen in love with most all blades as of late and so I approve! Nice clean lines and not too gawdy with the graphics. Lots of chrome tho, which might be distracting. We'll see...

5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP:
Alright, here's what you've been waiting for...as you read in Question #1, I have just ordered a set of TM MC irons and am very excited about them. While testing before the purchase, I was torn between the TM's and these Nike Pro Combos. My plan for testing is to do a true side-by-side comparison of a mid-handicapped player making the move from "improvement clubs" to blades and an honest assessment of playability, forgiveness, feel, shot-shaping ability, ball flight, and anything else the THPers can throw at me. I will be a chalkboard for the forum to draw up whatever they can think of for me to test these clubs together for the first time. I live in the hills south of Pittsburgh in beautiful PA across the street from a small municipal course and driving range, and you can bet that I will be at the range every day and on the course 2-3 times a week, and if my fiance rolls out the couch for me because of this, then I'll just be closer to the garage and my clubs! I'm excited to be a part of THP and I hope I get the chance to contribute!

I just found out that the golf course I work at is having a Nike demo day this Sunday. I will be home from college tomorrow and will definitely be attending this! I can't wait to hit the VR Pro Combos on our grass range! I will update this thread on Sunday (unless it is locked) and post my initial thoughts. I will also post in the Nike demo day thread (from the outing). I haven't been this excited to hit a set of clubs ever.

For any THPers in the Portland (OR) surrounding area, the demo day is at Heron Lakes Golf Course. The first 60 "demo-ers" will receive a free sleeve of Nike balls and there will be two Nike drivers raffled off. It starts at 10. Let me know if you are going, I would love to meet some fellow THP members.

I just found out that the golf course I work at is having a Nike demo day this Sunday. I will be home from college tomorrow and will definitely be attending this! I can't wait to hit the VR Pro Combos on our grass range! I will update this thread on Sunday (unless it is locked) and post my initial thoughts. I will also post in the Nike demo day thread (from the outing). I haven't been this excited to hit a set of clubs ever.

For any THPers in the Portland (OR) surrounding area, the demo day is at Heron Lakes Golf Course. The first 60 "demo-ers" will receive a free sleeve of Nike balls and there will be two Nike drivers raffled off. It starts at 10. Let me know if you are going, I would love to meet some fellow THP members.

That's awesome Jeff. You are going to love these irons.

Let us know how it goes!

I can't wait to find out the results! After checking these babies out at the golf shop my step-dad works at, I SO want to test drive these for the forum and myself!

If anyone is curious and has not done so already, you should really check out the video on Nikegolf.com (http://www.nike.com/nikeos/p/nikegol...ils?sku=GI7376). Under related videos, there are 2 different videos that go into describing how these are setup, etc. Very informative.

Back