Single Rider Golf Carts and Pace of Play

Our club just bought 10 of the Finn Scooters for the year. I'll try it out soon but it'll be interesting to see how it impacts pace since the course is pretty slow once the day gets going.

I used a GolfBoard once in Vegas. It was awesome! The only thing I dont like about it is the chit chat you miss out on with your cart partner between shots. Other than that, it's incredible for pace of play!

Totally agree. Its the old adage that walking is as fast as riding for this very reason...Now make the walking Usain Bolt pace.

At Caledonia. We had 3 Finns and one cart in our group So basically this idea of solo riders. I think it for sure added to the efficiency of the round but took nothing away from the conversation or comradery of it.

I haven't tried any kind of solo golf vehicle but would love to.

I think there's a spectrum of physical activity that riders expect and/or need. The golf boards/bikes are probably intimidating for a lot of folks expecting to ride around sitting on a cart with a roof. Solo carts might be a more appealing option to those folks, but a solo cart and a double cart probably aren't that different in costs for a course to fully commit to a fleet of solo carts.

I've tried the Finn Scooter before it it was awesome. I'd do it again in a minute. I think I had more fun riding in that than playing golf, lol. Single carts absolutely increased the pace of play at our course. As of April 1st this year, the policy is if there are an even number of cart riders, they have to share carts. No singles allowed (due to maintenance, upkeep, and just having enough carts available).

The worst thing my local courses did to me was get me used to riding as a single. Now they want to force you to double up and it is awful when you play as a single. I don’t mind riding with someone I know or want to get to know, but there is no doubt that it is slower.

I am to the point that I will play less golf if faced with going to a course and playing as a single and being forced into a cart with a random. I am also not going to pay $30 to ride by myself. It isn’t the money; it makes me look like an anti-social dbag. I did it once when there was a threesome and the starter told me if I wanted my cart I had to pay extra. I did and the guys didn’t seem to care for me doing it.

none of the courses i regularly play have a single rider piece of equipment. I would love I they did.

I've used the Finn Cycle, and loved it, I wish more courses around here offered them. My personal experience with the Finn, and riding solo in a regular cart, is although it should speed up pace of play, it doesn't, because you can only go a fast as the groups ahead, and they aren't all using single rider options. 🤷‍♂️

I have been wanting to try the golf board and the Finn for a while now. They both look like a blast. Biggest challenge is availability

Haven't tried any of the motor cycle style. However, I veryone having their own cart is undoubtedly faster.
It can also be undoubtedly more harsh on a golf course depending on the type.

I haven't tried one yet, but it just makes sense. Pace of play being a big issue for many golfers, I'd pay a bit more to keep things moving!

I haven't had the opportunity to use a single rider cart of any kind. I do think that they would speed up pace.

I've used a Finn a bunch. Never noticed any decrease to pace at the course that has them though. Because not everyone uses them, you're still waiting on everyone else on other holes and are dictated by their pace

But they did help pace of play.
It has been shown in nearly every test done that going directly to ball rather than sitting in a cart while someone hits before going to the next ball is a huge detriment.
I can say that a course we were just at (Hammock Beach) did this test and rounds on average were 18 minutes faster using single riders.
The Finn looks like it could be fun. I have no doubt single carts should speed up play. Im also guessing there are some people no matter what will be slow. I play with a regular group on weekends carts included in our membership so everybody rides . Our group when possible one person goes to their ball with the cart and the other jumps out, grabs a couple clubs and goes to their ball. We play at a pretty good pace , enjoy the round and have fun. Unfortunately people don't have the common sense all the time to do this and its tough to see 2 carts parked together waiting for one person to hit. I enjoy the company of the people I play with and enjoy riding together while at the same time moving along. A question I would have is cost wise shifting from a fleet of two rider carts to single carts would that greatly increase the cost of operating the carts for the Course ?

@J.B. Cobb III not allowed to use one of these.... I saw pictures of what he does with golf carts... :ROFLMAO:

Correct they dont. Yet in a single cart, they would be going to their ball and would have their clubs directly next to them.

I get that but I think those people will still be slow. They may not go directly to their ball, won't have thought about distance, club etc. Slow golfers are slow it doesn't matter how they get to their ball.

Never used any style of single cart but man do I want to. I've ridden single in a regular cart and definitely makes you faster.

Will always be faster on 2 fronts. (1) now each of you can go directly to their ball, and (2) the player will have the correct club to use. Don't know how many times I grabbed a club as my partner rode to his ball, only to realize an unexpected lie, or something - and now faced with walking to the cart to get a different club (which wastes time) or hitting what I had which probably leads to a poor shot more than not (and also wastes time).

The Finn looks like it could be fun. I have no doubt single carts should speed up play. Im also guessing there are some people no matter what will be slow. I play with a regular group on weekends carts included in our membership so everybody rides . Our group when possible one person goes to their ball with the cart and the other jumps out, grabs a couple clubs and goes to their ball. We play at a pretty good pace , enjoy the round and have fun. Unfortunately people don't have the common sense all the time to do this and its tough to see 2 carts parked together waiting for one person to hit. I enjoy the company of the people I play with and enjoy riding together while at the same time moving along. A question I would have is cost wise shifting from a fleet of two rider carts to single carts would that greatly increase the cost of operating the carts for the Course ?
Initial layout might be more if they already have two person, but assuming buying both new, cost would be very similar, perhaps even cheaper

The premise only works if everyone playing the 18 holes is using a cart/scooter for themselves.

One muni I played that had Segway golf vehicles showed no improvement in overall round time, even if your foursome all used Segways. You just got to wait longer on the next tee because the groups in front of you were all slow.

Haven’t tried one on course but look forward to hopefully this year always intrigued by it and love the pace of play improvements it offers.

Initial layout might be more if they already have two person, but assuming buying both new, cost would be very similar, perhaps even cheaper
They lease and its up after this season. Definitely will look into this

My neighbor rides one that’s similar to a Finn. Every time I see him out on the course I start singing Steppenwolf’s “Born to be Wild”.

I can’t help myself, it just happens. 😆

They lease and its up after this season. Definitely will look into this
Its an interesting proposition for courses, because golfers have repeatedly shown they do not deal all that well with change. But pace of play continues to plague us all.

Two in a cart, and the resulting pace of play, is the reason I walk with a push cart as often as possible. I am really not a fan of driving from one ball to another, zigzagging all over the fairway. Walking allows me to focus on my own game, and gives me more time to ponder the conditions, and next shot. Those scooter boards I have seen on some courses do not interest me at all.

I have never seen results of a study, but I have to think a foursome walking plays faster than a foursome riding; with the caveat that it is not a quarter mile from green to next tee.

I have never seen results of a study, but I have to think a foursome walking plays faster than a foursome riding; with the caveat that is is not a quarter mile from green to next tee.
Studies have actually shown the opposite with extremes in either side slowing things down considerably.
A single rider foursome would be significantly faster than walkers on nearly any golf course.

Back