Single Rider Golf Carts and Pace of Play

I get that but I think those people will still be slow. They may not go directly to their ball, won't have thought about distance, club etc. Slow golfers are slow it doesn't matter how they get to their ball.
If you have two slow golfers in a cart it’s ALWAYS going to take them longer. Go to the first guys ball, piddle around choosing a club, get distance 3x, do 5 practice swings, then finally hit. Get back in drive to cartners ball and repeat that whole process.

How is that not slower than each guygoing directly to their ball and doing the same thing? At minimum your cutting out drive time. Maybe a couple minutes a hole. Over 18 that could be close to 30 minutes saved.

Wanted to use them at Mid Pines but I don’t think they were available. Love the idea though

I think the "walkers vs riders" is a busted concept.

Two fast players in a cart will outpace two fast walkers every day of the week.
As much as I’d like to disagree I can’t based on my own personal experience as a walker/pusher.

I know I’m fast but it still takes me around 3 hours to walk a round. When Im with my dad and we get a cart I can cut that to around 2:30

(on an empty course)

If you have two slow golfers in a cart it’s ALWAYS going to take them longer. Go to the first guys ball, piddle around choosing a club, get distance 3x, do 5 practice swings, then finally hit, make two or three more "practice swings" trying to figure out what went wrong, and thoroughly clean the club before putting it back in the bag. Get back in drive to cartners ball and repeat that whole process.

Fixed that for you a little bit, because I play with these guys. :banghead:

My course has a fleet of about 8 Golfboards. They're selling them off ($3800 apiece) because nobody ever uses them.

My course has a fleet of about 8 Golfboards. They're selling them off ($3800 apiece) because nobody ever uses them.
You can buy a brand new Finn for less than that and have way more fun.

During the Covid Pandemic our course was primarily operating with single riders in carts or walking.

Since the restrictions have been removed we are back to 2 persons per cart.

What I’ve observed regarding the last few years is that even after the restrictions have been removed there are now more people walking at our course than ever before.

Our course has a number of holes with long gaps between the green and the next tee box, this adds significantly to the distance walked and time required when walking compared to other courses with greens and tees that are close together.

The other thing I’ve noticed is that our cart fleet has not fared as well. The carts have worn out faster. Batteries have required replacing sooner. Tires are wearing out sooner.

Because of single ridership more carts were on the course at one time and those carts had to be run more often.

We are seeing carts die more often from discharged batteries and our outside staff having to deliver fresh carts during a round. We are having to replace the carts probably a year sooner than the previous fleet due to wear and tear.

I love the idea of individual vehicles for each golfer but It only takes one or two slow groups to back up the rest of the course. Yesterday was a rare day where the pace of play was over 4 hours(4:10) at my club with a full morning tee sheet. When we got to the 11th tee, we could see where the backup was as there was nobody on the 15th hole or the 14th green or fairway. The fivesome on the 14th tee included two carts with the handicapped flags on them so it was understandable why they were slower than average. I was told two of the members in that group were in their 90’s and good for them for getting out for a round of golf. :)

Id love to try these if i can find a course that offers them and would buy one for myself if i had the $

You can buy a brand new Finn for less than that and have way more fun.

I don’t know of any courses near me that allow Finn or other outside carts. It’s obviously a revenue thing. My last club didn’t even allow outside push carts and forced you to rent theirs for $8/round. Thankfully my current club allow outside push carts and will even store battery powered push carts for a $100 annual fee. So far they haven’t agreed to allow me have a Finn or similar scooter even though they store 125 powered push carts for members. My buddy is on the board so this may change after the next board meeting - at least they’ve agreed to vote on the scooter topic.

I’m going to keep pushing and hopefully my next club will allow me to have a Finn. Otherwise I’ll walk most of my rounds like I do now.

These look like they'd be great. I live on a course and have my own cart and play with others who have their own carts. It 100% speeds up the pace of play.

Of course, I've modified my electric cart and it now tops out at 45 mph, so that helps too. The other guys have "normal" carts though. What I've noticed is with the extra speed I can get to my ball faster and actually take more time with my pre-shot/reading putts, etc. and still easily keep up. I've really enjoyed it.

Playing right now with another single and we both have our own carts and just played nine in 1hr 10mins. So I would say faster.

Playing right now with another single and we both have our own carts and just played nine in 1hr 10mins. So I would say faster.
Totally agree, unless you're close to each other it takes a lot more time. I've noticed that with league when we have 4 people all the time that it just takes forever it feels like.

Is there such a thing as courses that only allow walkers? That would seem to solve the whole walkers vs riders issue.

I've not used a single person cart, but they're intriguing. Typically, I walk with a push cart and go directly to my ball. Pace of play doesn't seem to be impacted.

I've not used a single person cart, but they're intriguing. Typically, I walk with a push cart and go directly to my ball. Pace of play doesn't seem to be impacted.
This is what I’d like to do to save money, but the guys I play with use carts. Could someone walking keep up if they had a push cart do you think? I’d probably be able to find my ball faster at least.

This is what I’d like to do to save money, but the guys I play with use carts. Could someone walking keep up if they had a push cart do you think? I’d probably be able to find my ball faster at least.
It depends on the course, and it depends on the golfers you're playing with. On a course that has long transitions from the green to the next tee, you'd have a hard time keeping up with a pushcart. If you're playing with fast golfers who keep their ball on the short grass and don't waste time screwing around between shots, you'd have a hard time keeping up with a pushcart. If the course is designed well for walking (tee boxes near greens) and the guys you're playing with aren't rabbits, you can reasonably keep pace.

I walk once in a while, and at my current course I can keep up pretty well because it's an older course and was designed for walking. At my previous club, there was no way - several holes had 1/4 mile or more between greens and tee boxes, and by the time the walker would make it to the tee box the other guys in carts would have all hit and been sitting there waiting for you.

Is there such a thing as courses that only allow walkers? That would seem to solve the whole walkers vs riders issue.
A bunch of places are walking only, ADA excepted. Bandon Dunes is a big one. But the courses are designed for walking.

Snowman nailed it. It might be best to know the course first to know if it's walkable. There are some courses I wouldn't walk because it would be too challenging, and if I'm playing a new course I'd also be more likely to ride.

Snowman nailed it. It might be best to know the course first to know if it's walkable. There are some courses I wouldn't walk because it would be too challenging, and if I'm playing a new course I'd also be more likely to ride.
Totally agree. The first two courses I’ve played on would be good for walking, especially the first one as the next tee was always right next to the green. But the last one we played some of the holes were really spaced out a lot.

For pace of play, one per cart is considerably faster pace of play. I wonder if anyone has done studies to show if a quicker pace of play can make more money for the course?

My group last weekend did use two of the scooter boards. However, I don’t feel we were much faster then a normal pace for weekends.

The premise only works if everyone playing the 18 holes is using a cart/scooter for themselves.

One muni I played that had Segway golf vehicles showed no improvement in overall round time, even if your foursome all used Segways. You just got to wait longer on the next tee because the groups in front of you were all slow.
Did the course have standard 2 man carts on the course in front of them? If so then that actually proves that a foursome playing with single carts is faster, they would not be waiting on the group in front of them if they were not. So, if all the groups in front of them had single carts........ pace is faster.

Back