Single Rider Golf Carts and Pace of Play

I can't see how 4 independent riders would not improve the pace of play at least a little bit. Instead of driving to point a, wait for player to hit, then point b, wait for player to hit, etc, 2 people go to a & b simultaneously and get ready to hit, a hits then b hits and then move on... Do that for 3-4 shots per hole over 18 holes that would save a good chunk of time.

I would finn every single round, no doubt about it.

If my course let me use one, I'd buy.

Obviously they can, but why would a course not allow a personally owned rise like that? It's like someone bringing their own push cart in my opinion

As long as your course is reasonably level, single use items can be productive. Put them on a varied slope terrain and the accident/injury risk creates a dynamic which most club leaderships would walk away from.

As long as your course is reasonably level, single use items can be productive. Put them on a varied slope terrain and the accident/injury risk creates a dynamic which most club leaderships would walk away from.
But that's only the bike/board types...don't they have some others that are more like traditional carts with only one seat?

Obviously they can, but why would a course not allow a personally owned rise like that? It's like someone bringing their own push cart in my opinion
I think the only issue would be the Course notifying their insurance carrier and letting them know people will be riding scooters, mini motorcycles and that they are covered in the event of injury. The main difference between a scooter/ mini motorcycle and a golf cart is the potential for injury to the rider themself if say for example they hit a pothole or some other defect in a cart path and then end up with an injury. If its covered or can be covered under the courses liability policy then its not a problem. If its not i can see a course not allowing it because of the risk to them.

I remember at one time having to sign a waiver to drive a golf cart saying the course wasn't liable if you injured yourself on the cart...can't that be the same thing for these single rider carts?

I don't know about Ohio but in NY the issue would be you couldn't have someone sign a waiver relieving you of liability for your own negligence. Using an example if a course failed to maintain the cart path and it had potholes or some other dangerous situation, a rider of a scooter doesn't see it and wipes out and is injured they can sue and that waiver would be worthless. That is the problem . The problem can be solved by the course by making sure their coverage covers not only traditional riding carts but scooters and im pretty sure that coverage is available either as a matter of course or through the payment of an additional premium. Im guessing there are some people here in the insurance industry that would be able to answer that question.

I remember at one time having to sign a waiver to drive a golf cart saying the course wasn't liable if you injured yourself on the cart...can't that be the same thing for these single rider carts?
That's what I was thinking, a simple waiver..

For a business decision, the course may say no outside motorized/electric ride ONS try and increase revenue, but they would then need to supply those types.. and I think as people commented already, they either take a cart or walk.. now if they got rid of all their carts and only offered single ride on that's a different story

How much is a 2 person golf cart vs a Finn for example? Maybe an even better long term profit margin for them if finns or similar are less expensive

I am thinking about trying to convince my wife that I could get a finn and right it to work to save money on gas. Plus I could ride it to, on and from the golf course also saving gas.

I think it is a solid sell..

That's what I was thinking, a simple waiver..

For a business decision, the course may say no outside motorized/electric ride ONS try and increase revenue, but they would then need to supply those types.. and I think as people commented already, they either take a cart or walk.. now if they got rid of all their carts and only offered single ride on that's a different story

How much is a 2 person golf cart vs a Finn for example? Maybe an even better long term profit margin for them if finns or similar are less expensive
Majority between $5k and $10k for double rider carts...so 2 Finn scooters is about $7k

Weather is an issue with those since the double carts have a roof

But I think the standard golf carts are on a leasing program usually, so courses don't eat $100k every 5 years

I have 2 neighbors that bought golf cycles. 1 Finn cycle and 1 off brand that looks similar to a Harley.
They both enjoy them and when I am playing with them, it does speed up the round over riding together in a cart.
The wife and I already have a cart and I don't see us buying a cycle of any kind in the future, but I sure would like to try one out. (I really miss my motorcycle)

And another one. There are a ton of examples coming out of single user carts. Not sure I like this one more than others but it is an option. Look how fast he is getting to his ball. Totally speeds up play.

I love the idea of going single carts or single anything really. I feel like you are more into the game that way

And another one. There are a ton of examples coming out of single user carts. Not sure I like this one more than others but it is an option. Look how fast he is getting to his ball. Totally speeds up play.

This option is significantly cheaper than a Finn...and if you take off the golf bag attachment, it's an electric bike

This is the one that one of my neighbors bought online called a Soversky.
He paid $1850 for it and the website says it will do 30mph on the street.
So far he likes it a lot. I do worry about the kickstand small footprint in the grass though.

Barry Soversky.jpg

I have not used any of the single rider carts out there although they look fun and I do support folks being able to go to their own balls, it definitely helped play a ton here.

But that's only the bike/board types...don't they have some others that are more like traditional carts with only one seat?
There are all kinds of single carts. The terrain would have no bearing on the idea of pace.

There are all kinds of single carts. The terrain would have no bearing on the idea of pace.
The question I was referring to was how golf courses would walk away from single rider carts if they were hilly/uneven terrain. But I'd guess it'd only be if it was the board or bike types because of risk of injury

The question I was referring to was how golf courses would walk away from single rider carts if they were hilly/uneven terrain. But I'd guess it'd only be if it was the board or bike types because of risk of injury
You were and are correct.

Is there such a thing as courses that only allow walkers? That would seem to solve the whole walkers vs riders issue.
I played such a course last week. The Ohoopee Match Club.

Going to Ireland & Scotland next month and most of the courses require a doctor’s note to get a cart.

I played such a course last week. The Ohoopee Match Club.

Going to Ireland & Scotland next month and most of the courses require a doctor’s note to get a cart.
That is very cool to know, especially considering that’s where the game originated!

I can't see how 4 independent riders would not improve the pace of play at least a little bit. Instead of driving to point a, wait for player to hit, then point b, wait for player to hit, etc, 2 people go to a & b simultaneously and get ready to hit, a hits then b hits and then move on... Do that for 3-4 shots per hole over 18 holes that would save a good chunk of time.
That's because most people are lazy and/or use carts wrong. Drive to a's ball, b takes a club and walks to their ball and gets ready to hit when it's their turn. After they hit, a comes and picks b up, and they proceed onward and repeat wherever possible. I enjoy doing it that way because not only is it faster, I also get more exercise. I've seen idiot foursomes where all four golfers (both carts) go to one ball, that guy hits, then they all four go to the next ball, and so on. Like a bunch of lemmings.

Today we were in carts (two to a cart) behind three walkers with motorized pushcarts and one guy in a solo cart. They were each going to their own ball, but we still waited for them all day, on every single hole. Slow golfers are gonna be slow no matter how they're getting around the course.

I've used these on multiple occasions and they're flat out awesome. If you can ride a bike, you can manage one of these.

Is there such a thing as courses that only allow walkers? That would seem to solve the whole walkers vs riders issue.
All the Bandon courses are walking only. You have to jump through hoops to get a handicap cart there and then your caddie has to drive it. I walked all of my rounds when I was in Scotland/Ireland a few years back. Chambers Bay was walking only when I went in 2011.

So the answer is yes there are walking only courses.

Never used a single rider cart, golf board or Finn. That said, during COVID I definitely played some rounds where everyone had their own carts. Far faster than shared carts. Don't want to start a religious war, but assuming the same level of ready play they would have to be faster than four walkers as well. If pace is the primary driver, seems like a no brainer.

Slow is slow

Back