The Cleveland Launcher XL Halo Hy-Wood

I’ve been following this thread closely over the last few months and really appreciate the comments on this club.

I’ve got a gap between my driver and G425 4H and this looks a great option.

So I’m planning to compare the Hywood with a 3H but have to patiently(!!) wait until the end of April when apparently it should be available in the UK.

The Hy-Wood is already at an incredible level of forgiveness, I wouldn't be tempted in the least to cut down a fairway to replace it.

As a fairway wood guy I play the Maltby ufw woods cut down 1.5-2". They have two rails and the only thing they could improve is forgiveness across the face. That's where I would cut down the halo fairway or even try the Hywood. The Hywood 3 rail design looks like it could work very nice.

Smoked this thing today 223 yards from a side hill lie to reach a par 5 in two. Just one of the reasons I took a flyer on this club. Missed the 10 foot eagle putt but enjoyed the tap in Birdie. Hy-Wood for the win!

Last edited:
Hy-wood induced apology today. It was the first hole on a course I've only played once before. I topped my driver and the cart GPS said I 260 yards to the front of the green. It was downwind (15 mph) and the last 60 yards of the fairway was downhill. I figured I'd be about 30 yards short and could try to get up and down. I hit it on the screws and actually landed just to the right of the green.

Drove up to apologize. Explained I thought there was absolutely no way they were in range from where I was hitting.

Currently have a 2019 big Bertha 3H in this spot in the bag. Can anyone compare the BB to the hy-wood? Carry, total distance, forgiveness etc. Thanks in advance
TLDR: I have the Bertha 3H but I never used it regularly because I could never get on with it. Was never an easy club for me to use. Just not a fit with the stock shaft. i've bounced around many woods and hybrids. I've now ditched them all and will be putting them all for sale except maybe a 4H. I hope they come out with a 4 and/or 5 Hy-wood. If they stop producing these I'm hoarding them. I've never said that about any club I've owned. And with family members at both Callaway and Taylormade I've owned a lot! :D

I'm not a fast swinger, and don't get to play a ton (my golf sim is almost done though). I have had huge issues between driver and my 5 iron. Let's just say for me, the hywood is on average, as long or even longer than all my woods and hybrids on normal shots. Yes, a nutted 3HL/3w/5w might be 10 yards longer. Yes the Hy-wood is so damn easy to launch that me, a line drive hitter with my woods, the Hy-wood sometimes gets too high. But I'm hitting 8-9/10 good shots with the Hy-Wood vs 4-6/10 with those other ones. Before if I was 200 out, I was just praying I hit a good one. At best I'll roll onto the green (line drive). Or at least I'll have a nice chance to get up and down. But more often then I want, I'll duff it, and I'm still 120 out. My drives are like 230 total(that's my swing, when I'm on, it's like 240-250 but because I play rollout, not carry). If I'm 190-200 out, I've reached greens with this damn thing on the carry. It's insane.

My quiver:

Taylormade M2 3HL (used to be my old faithful, but no more)
Epic 3W turned up to 16 and 17 depending.
Epic Flash 5w.
Epic Heavenwood (another old faithful, but even turned down, hit kind of high)
B21 3 Wood (too weird to look at that offset)
Gapr Hi 4, and 5
2019 Bertha 3H, and 4H.

I've been lucky to play quite regularly the last few weeks. My 6 rounds since getting the Hy-Wood, was just the Epic 3w for the tee, the Hy-Wood, and the Bertha 4H which I barely used. My last 3 rounds I left the 3w at home, and now only carry the Hy-wood and then the 4h. The 4h barely gets used because I don't hit it was well. I'm literally just swinging all out vs smoother slower swings for the Hy-wood to fill the gap from driver to my irons lol. Thing is so money. My bad shots have been me leaving the face open (and the ball is to the right of the green) or doing my thing on uneven lies where I take a divot behind the ball (I'm a picker).

Glowing review aside, I must ask about the high ball flight, which I guess isn't a bad thing. When it's on a tight lie, it's great. But if it's on any sort of fluffiness, ball goes to the moon. I'm a line drive hitter with anything not a short iron (although I'm getting better now). So I've learned to play the roll. I should be playing a R shaft, but I found a deal on the Stiff on ebay so I grabbed it. And I'm still hitting it high for me, so I figure the R might be worse? I'm swinging it so well I don't want to tinker with the shaft (maybe buy another one to mess with).

Are you guys able to vary the flight lower with ball position or some other technique? I do play woods a little bit up, not driver far, but behind that. My miss is an open club face so I'm always scared to move the ball back giving me less time to close the face (banana slice). Just wondering if I'm on an extra fluffy lie, or I want to hit it as far as possible on a par 5 with no hazards, if moving it back will actually lower the flight as a lot of our San Diego fairways are quite generous with roll. Not unheard of to have a drive carry 125 and roll another 100+ lol.

Glowing review aside, I must ask about the high ball flight, which I guess isn't a bad thing. When it's on a tight lie, it's great. But if it's on any sort of fluffiness, ball goes to the moon. I'm a line drive hitter with anything not a short iron (although I'm getting better now). So I've learned to play the roll. I should be playing a R shaft, but I found a deal on the Stiff on ebay so I grabbed it. And I'm still hitting it high for me, so I figure the R might be worse? I'm swinging it so well I don't want to tinker with the shaft (maybe buy another one to mess with).

Are you guys able to vary the flight lower with ball position or some other technique? I do play woods a little bit up, not driver far, but behind that. My miss is an open club face so I'm always scared to move the ball back giving me less time to close the face (banana slice). Just wondering if I'm on an extra fluffy lie, or I want to hit it as far as possible on a par 5 with no hazards, if moving it back will actually lower the flight as a lot of our San Diego fairways are quite generous with roll. Not unheard of to have a drive carry 125 and roll another 100+ lol.
To prevent a pop up possibly try choking up a hair to keep from getting too steep on it.

With regards to ball flight maybe a bit behind where you normally hit it to flight it down a hair. All that said this is part of a lineup that’s all about game improvement and getting the ball in the air. I don’t think of them as naturally being workable as they’re really designed to provide a large forgiving face and a very straight ball flight. I know for my Cleveland UHX irons it’s really hard to keep the ball low especially from under some tree limbs. The ball is designed to go high from those GI clubs too.

Is the Hy-Wood an XL Halo 3 hybrid with a longer lighter shaft?

According to the specs at Cleveland the heads are the same size, and they look identical.

In my country Hy Woods are not available. But the hybrids are.

Is the Hy-Wood an XL Halo 3 hybrid with a longer lighter shaft?

According to the specs at Cleveland the heads are the same size, and they look identical.

In my country Hy Woods are not available. But the hybrids are.
I have both clubs and that’s exactly what it is. The heads are the exact same size.

I have both clubs and that’s exactly what it is. The heads are the exact same size.
Also, the faces look different. The HyWood has a face with short lines on each side and no lines in the middle while the hybrid has lines that go all the way across the face. Seems to be just cosmetic, though.

Also, the faces look different. The HyWood has a face with short lines on each side and no lines in the middle while the hybrid has lines that go all the way across the face. Seems to be just cosmetic, though.
I had never noticed that before. The 3H you can definitely feel the lines on the face so it must spin the ball more for stopping power. I guess the HyWood has more of a rebound face and smooth for lower spin?

I played in a scramble today for my first outing of the year, I've had a few range sessions but today was my first full 18 of 2022 now that the majority of my music program obligations are done. With a dreadful iron swing and absolutely no short game, the Hy-Wood shined like you would not believe. Baby fade off the deck that was consistent and I blew through a dogleg with it off the tee. I thought I had taken a little off the swing and choked down and the ball still flew high and straight and way further than I expected. I got a few "holy :poop: what a shot" comments with it, which was really nice because my irons were just plain :poop: and my driver was so-so. But the Hy-Wood absolutely shined. I have zero reservations about replacing my HeavenWood with it now. What a club.

This thing still surprises me. It has to be the easiest club to hit ever. Got good penetrating distance in a strong wind today. I would love to see them expand this with more lofts.

This thing still surprises me. It has to be the easiest club to hit ever. Got good penetrating distance in a strong wind today. I would love to see them expand this with more lofts.

21 degrees maybe.

Haven’t they already with the current lineup? The hybrid heads are really big already.

I was streaky with the hy-wood today. Just never found that groove. It can’t always be roses all the time I guess.

I was streaky with the hy-wood today. Just never found that groove. It can’t always be roses all the time I guess.
I've been super handsy with mine last weekend having some major hooks. I'm trying to kill the ball instead of letting the club do the work so I know it's me

Haven’t they already with the current lineup? The hybrid heads are really big already.

The hybrids flow into the Hy-wood perfectly. I replaced my beloved G410 4H with the 4H Launcher Halo a couple of weeks ago. The G410 had been my security blanket club since the month it launched and it replaced my G25. I'd had it repaired last year after the head flew off at the range. I know it should be exactly the same, but it felt like the magic was gone.

After a league round where I just couldn't get along with it, I made an impulse buy and got the 4H. The head is bigger. But coming from Hy-wood made the transition easier.

It launches high and straight just like the Hy-wood. But with the shorter shaft, the distance is right at 200. I hit my Hywood 220-225.

That is exactly what I want. My 4H is the next distance up from my 5-wood. But i want a little more gap up to the Hy-wood distance. At 210-215 yards I'm not trying to throw a dart. I'll just try to get it in a good spot and get up and down.

I have about 5-6 rounds in with the Hy-wood. Verdict? Probably the easiest to hit club I have ever owned. Just gotta let the club do the work. Nice, easy swing produces glorious, majestic shots that are a thing of beauty. I am averaging about 210-215 with mine and it has become my go-to club for second shots on par 5's and off the tee on short par 4's and long par 3's. I also have the Halo XL 4 hybrid. That club is just as good. I have never owned any Cleveland clubs except for wedges. These clubs are money. And the low price is just a bonus.

I want to thank everyone that has taken the time to review this club. I was able to get 2 rounds in with it this weekend. The ease of use that others have spoken about was definitely there for me. Being able to have confidence with a longer club has been lacking in the past. Looking forward to see what happens in future rounds.

Being someone who doesn't get along with woods off the deck but loves a hybrid this club has really peaked my interest.
Now seriously considering buying this club having seen the reviews and the feedback from you guys.

Have seen a few of you are going Driver - Hy-wood - 4h.
I have room for 4 clubs between my 6 iron and Driver so was thinking of getting the Hy-wood along with the 3, 4 and 5 Halo XL hybrids too.
But is not worth getting the regular 3 hybrid version as they're too similar in what they do?
Haven't really seen any comparisons between the Hy-wood and a standard hybrid of the same loft

Being someone who doesn't get along with woods off the deck but loves a hybrid this club has really peaked my interest.
Now seriously considering buying this club having seen the reviews and the feedback from you guys.

Have seen a few of you are going Driver - Hy-wood - 4h.
I have room for 4 clubs between my 6 iron and Driver so was thinking of getting the Hy-wood along with the 3, 4 and 5 Halo XL hybrids too.
But is not worth getting the regular 3 hybrid version as they're too similar in what they do?
Haven't really seen any comparisons between the Hy-wood and a standard hybrid of the same loft

I was the opposite - I have always hit fairways off the deck better than hybrids. But the HyWood is just automatic. So easy to launch and it's extremely forgiving on anything but the absolute chunkiest of fat shots. And even then the ball's going forward a ways.

I don't have any of the Halo hybrids so I can't answer your question fully, I go from the HyWood to a Launcher HB 5h and I don't have any issues with that gapping BUT I don't tend to play longer courses either.

This thing is just ridiculous! Pure money!! 💰💰. Golf league tonight. Hit it 5 times. Straight, piercing, bullets. Just dumb. It has become my can't miss, go-to club. Insanity. That is all.

Hit this twice today. First shot off the tee for 210 yard in the fairway. Second was the the last hole Par 5 2nd shot. 230 Yards down the hill to the front of the green. My vote for the club of the year.

After last night with the new Tour Edge C522 4w, I need to stop reading this thread.

It sounds like some companies really have figured out what some mid-high cappers want,/need

Back