Review MGI Zip Navigator Electric Golf Caddy

@JB The course I belong to can only get these. Would I be making mistake in purchasing the MGI X3?
A mistake? No. Its a fine cart. Its not my favorite, but certainly nothing wrong with it and users report great findings. If you watched the live stream yesterday, the early part compared the two.

@JB The course I belong to can only get these. Would I be making mistake in purchasing the MGI X3?

There are many of the various MGI carts from the X1 to the Zip Navigator carts on my home course although I would guess 90% are remote and 10% walk behind. I will say though that I hear a lot from owners of the walk behind that they wished they had spent the extra to get fully remote but everyone is different. When I played a lot of golf working in Manchester one summer a few years ago, almost every cart I saw was walk behind.

There are many of the various MGI carts from the X1 to the Zip Navigator carts on my home course although I would guess 90% are remote and 10% walk behind. I will say though that I hear a lot from owners of the walk behind that they wished they had spent the extra to get fully remote but everyone is different. When I played a lot of golf working in Manchester one summer a few years ago, almost every cart I saw was walk behind.
I am really glad to have a remote, but I know that there are different views on it.

I am really glad to have a remote, but I know that there are different views on it.
Love having the remote and I can count on one hand how many times a round I have to put a hand on the cart after leaving the first tee box. Just so easy and worth the extra.

I have the first zip navigator model that is about to be 4 years old in september.

Overall it has been a great unit and the battery life on it has been spectacular.
Unfortunately they made some minor upgrades in the model since mine came out that I wish mine would have had.

These include a more adjustable section for the bag to fit properly
Currently a stand bag that I have sits too low for the top strap to fit in the right area and I need to put something in between the base of the bag on the top of the cart to have it sit at the level it should.

The other issue is that they have since upgraded the metal rods that the wheels sit on by making them thicker.
One of mine seemed to have gotten slightly bent or warped over time and I was unable to put the wheel on and off. Because they have upgraded that section there were no replacement parts which would have obligated me to buy an entirely new motor unit system which would be prohibitively expensive.

The company had no used or replacement parts for my first gen model.

Fortunately my friend managed to use a sanding tool and between slightly bending it and sanding it it now seems to work okay again but should this happen again I may have to look into getting a new model.

I would also say that the all-terrain model is probably preferable to the standard because it would be more stable. This model does seem to tip a little easier than some other motorized push carts that I have seen.

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk

I'm heading out today to play for the first time. Having some issues with IT bands in my legs but I'll just forge on through it and at least I won't be lugging clubs~

I agree with everyone else, for the price point it should follow.

I am not sure i would trust it to follow and stay out of trouble, I love mine and I have the AT.

I have the first zip navigator model that is about to be 4 years old in september.

Overall it has been a great unit and the battery life on it has been spectacular.
Unfortunately they made some minor upgrades in the model since mine came out that I wish mine would have had.

These include a more adjustable section for the bag to fit properly
Currently a stand bag that I have sits too low for the top strap to fit in the right area and I need to put something in between the base of the bag on the top of the cart to have it sit at the level it should.

The other issue is that they have since upgraded the metal rods that the wheels sit on by making them thicker.
One of mine seemed to have gotten slightly bent or warped over time and I was unable to put the wheel on and off. Because they have upgraded that section there were no replacement parts which would have obligated me to buy an entirely new motor unit system which would be prohibitively expensive.

The company had no used or replacement parts for my first gen model.

Fortunately my friend managed to use a sanding tool and between slightly bending it and sanding it it now seems to work okay again but should this happen again I may have to look into getting a new model.

I would also say that the all-terrain model is probably preferable to the standard because it would be more stable. This model does seem to tip a little easier than some other motorized push carts that I have seen.

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk
Agree on the tipping. I've had the AT since February, 2021 and made a couple additions to fix two issues I have had.
1.) I added a 5lb diver weight to the underside of the frame where the bag sits to stabilize the cart and it has all but eliminated the tipping.
2.) My stand bag (2 different ones) tend to shift in place from side to side so I added a couple small stoppers to the top base/strap.

Other than those two items, I have enjoyed this cart and would purchase it again. I have over a little over 230 miles on it.

Last edited:
Agree on the tipping. I've had the AT since February, 2021 and made a couple additions to fix two issues I have had.
1.) I added a 5lb diver weight to the underside of the frame where the bag sits to stabilize the cart and it has all but eliminated the tipping.
2.) My stand bag (2 different ones) tend to shift in place from side to side so I added a couple small stoppers to the top base/strap.

Other than those two items, I have enjoyed this cart and would purchase it again. I have over a little over 230 miles on it.

I did the same. Wonder why the designers didn't think of it.

YXhq3Cy.jpg

LNem8dq.jpg

kAaRnXu.jpg

I would not want a follow as I know I would constantly be looking behind myself and being the klutz I am I know I would trip on something and end up falling flat on my face.

I have only played 1 round with mine and went up many steep inclines and absolutely had no issues with falling backwards. Sure it rode up on the 4th wheel but that is the intention in all the carts that have the extra wheel at the back. I actually asked my playing partners on multiple occasions when going up steep banks if they felt from their angle if it was looking like it could be falling backwards and they said absolutely no. So far I don’t see any need for adding weight but will continue to keep an eye out for it.

I agree with everyone else, for the price point it should follow.
It’s half the price of a Stewart golf follow cart. For that amount it’s a lot of extra rounds of golf.

How does everyone get their cart to their ball? When I first got mine, I'd run it up to my ball pretty fast since I mostly play with riders. Lately, I'm trying to keep it closer to me while I'm walking to my ball though.

How does everyone get their cart to their ball? When I first got mine, I'd run it up to my ball pretty fast since I mostly play with riders. Lately, I'm trying to keep it closer to me while I'm walking to my ball though.

Honestly it really depends on how I feel and maybe on the terrain ahead, if it’s a little bit crazy I might keep it closer to myself. Otherwise I guess keep it in front of me.

DEpends, Wide open fairway, i let her run at a decent walking pace. She might be 10 yards in front of me, but if there is a bridge or spillway, i have a hand on it at all times. I park it to the right of the ball mostly, unless it casts a shadow over the ball then i adjust

Since the cart famously is a bit too slow on speed 4 and a bit too fast on speed 5, I let it get out a ways ahead on 5 and then cut it to 4 as I slowly catch up to it. I too run it to the right of my ball and stop it there.

Again, I can't even imagine wanting a follow cart.

In fact, I can't even fathom the benefit.
This is me. I am going into my fourth year with mine and I honestly see no benefit in a cart that follows you. I would constantly be looking behind me to make sure it was there. I would much prefer to have it in front of me. The remote and the cart in front of me are perfect.

I let it run out ahead of me 15 yards or so most times. If the ball is off in the rough I leave it parked on the edge.

I played and walked 18 on my own course with my ZIP Navigator and went to go out yesterday morning for another 18 and lo and behold I forgot to plug in my battery after my Saturday round. Anyways a good opportunity to see how long the battery would last and I am happy to say that after 36 holes it’s still showed 50% remaining battery life left after 36 according to the indicator on the screen. So now I know that it is at least good for a minimum of 36 holes just in case I forget to plug it in or I am away from the charger.

Very happy with the ZIP Navigator. As was walking off the 18 green Friday and by the patio a few ladies sitting enjoying a cocktail said “isn’t that cute”, I wasn’t sure if they’re talking about me or my cart ha ha.;)

I played and walked 18 on my own course with my ZIP Navigator and went to go out yesterday morning for another 18 and lo and behold I forgot to plug in my battery after my Saturday round. Anyways a good opportunity to see how long the battery would last and I am happy to say that after 36 holes it’s still showed 50% remaining battery life left after 36 according to the indicator on the screen. So now I know that it is at least good for a minimum of 36 holes just in case I forget to plug it in or I am away from the charger.

Very happy with the ZIP Navigator. As was walking off the 18 green Friday and by the patio a few ladies sitting enjoying a cocktail said “isn’t that cute”, I wasn’t sure if they’re talking about me or my cart ha ha.;)

I have gotten 45 holes and 54 holes after forgetting to recharge my battery. I usually charge every two rounds regardless of the battery indicator. The cart is a real PIA to push if you run out of battery, both times the battery died, I was lucky that I was close to the clubhouse.

Will after nearly 4 years and 1100 miles my cart died at the club through no fault of it's own.

Storms flooded the bag shop and my bag was under their care and charging at the time and everything was submerged and sorted out as were charging at the time.

Wasn't only one.
Thankfully the club insurance covering it and got the AT model to replace it.
Can't wait to play my first round on it.

I tried some non remote loaner ones and can't tell you how much I missed the hill speed control the gyro and of course the remote.

The unit I borrowed would go flying downhill and choke uphills and kept going off line and actually hurt my back pushing it back online since the front wheel was fixed.

Agree with others no need or desire for a follow unit. Address cost and with unit behind it would be easy to have it end up in a hole or bunker etc as I can't see exactly where it is tracking. Also the remote on the Stewart model is huge.
Prefer a small one.

Looks like I will be ditching my follow cart for this style once the follow cart dies (which may be soon). I absolutely love the follow cart but the price is just too good paired with the solid performance.

Back