If it does not spin, it won't help you get yardage at our swingspeed - 88-96.

Even the high-speed guys like @Jman and @templeton80 posting above have difficulty spinning it. That's not good news for the slower speed guys.

My AOA is +6. I like the feel, like the look, but I want more yards. I go Callaway or Ping and not Cobra, Titleist or others only because I don't have time to try everything.
I'll keep looking at the ST-X I think.

I'll keep looking at the ST-X I think.

Do not discount the Z - I hit it expecting it to not work - it worked really really well for me - I was not getting a massive distance jump, but accuracy improved. It was mostly point and shoot, and that was with a random shaft. The X was a bit more left than I expected as well - or maybe I had a good swing that day. For those reasons, I am going to hit the new X and Z when I am able to swing them again 2-4 weeks out (I hope).

That’s the old Z….and I can say having done that comparison as well, the G is still lower launching and spinning than the Z. The G might be the lowest spinning and launching head I tested this year.

Of course it is, but if you watch his other video with the new Z (& X), the spin numbers are about the same from the last model. Not saying it’s 100% scientific, but it still gives a good insight as to the difference with the G.

Of course it is, but if you watch his other video with the new Z (& X), the spin numbers are about the same from the last model. Not saying it’s 100% scientific, but it still gives a good insight as to the difference with the G.
Eh. It’s not his best video imo.

There is a lot to say..

The sound off the G is great. When you square it up, with a relatively square path, it's so full but not loud. It's a natural sound.

The launch for me right now is low, but it's still me working back to a sane path with my driver. I have seen it hit by a number of golfers and all of them have a nice mid flight. One of the best parts for me though, is that I think this thing leads relatively low in spin.

I'll grab a picture tomorrow, but I really haven't had much issue finding the center of the face. Path is still an issue for sure, but I have just been all over the center of the head which gives me a lot of confidence on the balance.

I really want to start championing these heads as I am so excited to see Mizuno take off in the wood game. I've been holding back my thoughts due to the swing being very bad in my perspective, but I am committed to improving it, and sharing more in this thread.

One hole today, it's a 370 yard hole and we had some awesome wind at our backs. I had a sprinkler head with '33' on it, the number of yards to the middle of the green. Wowsa. This marks my first round in probably a year and a half with two 300+ yard drives in it.

Oh yeah.

Canadan is the Canaman! Most happy for you buddy!

This thread has gone cold over the last few months. Also, noticing plenty of St-g's for sale. I finally had an in hand look at the St-g, as I was strongly considering it, but, the set-up, (standard), and cosmetics don't look good to me at all. It does seem to set-up very open. Also, I was expecting a more compact look and deeper face. The face depth is about the same as my St-X.

At this point, I'd be nuts to give up my ST-X. It's a great fit for me, The G will likely only fit a very small percentage of golfers, and I'm not sure why Mizuno has bothered to market it.

This thread has gone cold over the last few months. Also, noticing plenty of St-g's for sale. I finally had an in hand look at the St-g, as I was strongly considering it, but, the set-up, (standard), and cosmetics don't look good to me at all. It does seem to set-up very open. Also, I was expecting a more compact look and deeper face. The face depth is about the same as my St-X.

At this point, I'd be nuts to give up my ST-X. It's a great fit for me, The G will likely only fit a very small percentage of golfers, and I'm not sure why Mizuno has bothered to market it.
I mean, the X is pretty dang deep faced. ;)

At measurement its not that open. You are likely seeing the bulge and roll design making it appear that way.
It has tons of adjustability which can make it attractive in fitting to really fine tune a golfer.

At measurement its not that open. You are likely seeing the bulge and roll design making it appear that way.
It has tons of adjustability which can make it attractive in fitting to really fine tune a golfer.
It’s one where I really do believe a fitting is massively important, because this beast, it might still be the lowest spinning driver I’ve hit in years.

My ST-X doesn't sit particularly open.

Certainly nowhere near as much as my Mavrik Max, which is horrific for it.

Bumping an older thread here to ask about the ST-G 220 driver. For the past 50 rounds of golf I've played the ST-Z 220 with stock Aldila Ascent 60 S flex.
Pros:
looks good
accurate- I fade this driver but my natural ball flight with other clubs irons, hybrids, fairway metals is a draw
medium trajectory with exceptionally good roll out

Cons:
trajectory is a bit lower than ideal so carry yardage could be better

Is it likely that the ST-G 220 would produce higher trajectory shots for me than the ST-Z has done? From reading this thread that the G is designed to be low spin, but am not sure if that means lower trajectory. I assume heads designed for lower spin means lower shot trajectory, but not sure, so that is why I am asking. Thanks.

Bumping an older thread here to ask about the ST-G 220 driver. For the past 50 rounds of golf I've played the ST-Z 220 with stock Aldila Ascent 60 S flex.
Pros:
looks good
accurate- I fade this driver but my natural ball flight with other clubs irons, hybrids, fairway metals is a draw
medium trajectory with exceptionally good roll out

Cons:
trajectory is a bit lower than ideal so carry yardage could be better

Is it likely that the ST-G 220 would produce higher trajectory shots for me than the ST-Z has done? From reading this thread that the G is designed to be low spin, but am not sure if that means lower trajectory. I assume heads designed for lower spin means lower shot trajectory, but not sure, so that is why I am asking. Thanks.
The G will be lower spin and most likely lower launch for a person. Even with the adjustability.

The G will be lower spin and most likely lower launch for a person. Even with the adjustability.

Thanks for your reply. I guess the G was designed for high ball hitters (which I am not) who want to lower their shot trajectory ? I am trying to figure out where the G driver (s) fit within Mizuno's line , as compared to the Z and X models.

Thanks for your reply. I guess the G was designed for high ball hitters (which I am not) who want to lower their shot trajectory ? I am trying to figure out where the G driver (s) fit within Mizuno's line , as compared to the Z and X models.
It’s the lowest spin option, neutral ball flight to slightly open and most adjustable. Geared more towards those with high speed.

At our THP Experience with them, THPers got their choice of any model and much of the feedback in this thread is from them.

Today at the range I was able to strike a few shots with an ST-G 220 driver. Compared to my ST-Z 220 trajectory was similar, but the ST-G shots were nose dive city, balls just turning downwards hard and fast.

Today at the range I was able to strike a few shots with an ST-G 220 driver. Compared to my ST-Z 220 trajectory was similar, but the ST-G shots were nose dive city, balls just turning downwards hard and fast.
The ST-G 220 driver was not a good one for my swing. Next up to try is the ST-G 440 3-wood, which hopefully I will be able to swing within the next few weeks.
Regarding the ST-G driver, has anybody here compared the 220 to the 440? I am curious if the 440 is a minor update or a totally new (less-low-spin) driver.

Back