Super excited to get these in the bag. An extra bit of distance and closer to the centerline?! The SMS wedges are responsible for my only current strokes gained stat so I can’t wait to see what these irons bring to my game.

Versatility and customization is a great thing and love seeing these. Can't wait to see them in person!

Versatility and customization is a great thing and love seeing these. Can't wait to see them in person!
They look great. I just can’t get over how solid they felt. I am loving the wedges and can’t wait for the incoming putter. By the time we get the irons, I will be asking them to start making drivers and hybrids 😉

Look and preform great. Club feels great in your hands. Perfect balance of total weight and swing weight. Club is easy to swing. With adjustable weights it’s easy to find your sweet spot to square the face.

I enjoy popping in here and reading more about them. I can't imagine how this thread is going to blow up once Quest guys get their clubs in hand!

I enjoy popping in here and reading more about them. I can't imagine how this thread is going to blow up once Quest guys get their clubs in hand!
We are all like a bunch of kids at Christmas. We are all pretty excited.

As you should be! New clubs and some pretty revolutionary tech. I'd be excited too!

I think a lot of people on THP are too! The visual package and the overall thought process with moveable weights is awesome. But I can't wait for the Quest Cup guys to get theirs, and enjoy them.

And then of course come back and tell us how much they love them ;)

Just getting caught up and reading jman's article. I could spend a lbot of time tinkering with these on the simulator.

I think a lot of people on THP are too! The visual package and the overall thought process with moveable weights is awesome. But I can't wait for the Quest Cup guys to get theirs, and enjoy them.

And then of course come back and tell us how much they love them ;)
Oh we will have plenty to say.

After the last month with the wedges I can't freaking wait to get these in the bag. I can't say enough about how much of a game changer the moveable weight has been. I close the face quite a bit on my natural swing. I have the weight moved to the optimized toe position in my 52 and had it centered in my 56 just to test the difference it makes. Moving the weight to the toe has unlocked so much power, accuracy, and forgiveness for me compared to the center position as it brings my club face back to square. It's shocking sometimes to see the quality of shots I'm hitting with the weight in the toe and I have enough shots in now to say definitively the weight position makes a huge difference. I can't wait to see what I can do with fully optimized Edel irons.

Here is a link to test data of some players pretty interesting info.

This is info from the 1st of 10 pages

We tested with 25 golfers. Here’s what we found...

Player Test: 25 golfers tested with their gamer vs. the SMS Iron. Five shots with the gamer and five shots

with the heavy weight in each position. (Key: 822=Heel, 282=Center, 228=Toe)

● Ball Speed Gains
○ Avg. Ball Speed Increase (Best Position): +3.30 mph
○ Avg. Ball Speed Increase (All Positions) : +2.16 mph
○ *96% of testers had a higher ball speed with SMS vs Gamer (all but one!)
● Carry Distance Gains
○ Avg. Carry Distance Increase (Best Position): +5.60 Yards
○ Avg. Carry Distance Increase (All Positions): +3.38 Yards
● Club Speed Gains
○ Avg. Club Speed Increase (Best Position): +3.06 mph
○ 88% of testers had a higher club head speed with SMS vs Gamer

I really hope one of the local shops will get these in for fittings. The one carries the wedges so fingers crossed.

Player Test: 25 golfers tested with their gamer vs. the SMS Iron. Five shots with the gamer and five shots

● Ball Speed Gains
● Carry Distance Gains
● Club Speed Gains
Those are legit stats no question. I was kind of hoping to see a bigger handicap range included in that though - I would sort of expect to see 0-8 HCPs have a pretty decent, repeatable swing that could produce some really good results.

● Ball Speed Gains
● Carry Distance Gains
● Club Speed Gains
Some of these numbers do not make sense. If average club speed gain was 3.06 mph, shouldn’t the average ball speed gain be more like 4 or 5?

Some of these numbers do not make sense. If average club speed gain was 3.06 mph, shouldn’t the average ball speed gain be more like 4 or 5?
I just pasted info I found on the Edel website. I don't know.

I just pasted info I found on the Edel website. I don't know.
I understand and I am not trying to be critical. Nor is my question directed solely to you. I understood that the theory is that optimization of the weighting would result in better delivery of a square face at impact. That makes sense.

i don’t see how that increases club speed. It should increase ball speed with a higher smash factor.
Also, a higher smash factor should increase ball speed by more than a 1:1 ratio.

After speaking to a number of people today, it seems to me their main concerns are cost and current shaft options. I can’t wait to see what shaft options become available and can’t wait to put them in play!

The anonymous comment was “for $250 a club, there better be a shaft option that works for me”

All I can speak to is that they felt great and were easy to hit. I can’t wait to put them in my bag!
Might be a good idea to sell head only (slight discount) or non assembeled aka head plus shafts to clubfitters. If I’m going to purchase a non offered shaft saving a couple bucks takes the sting out of it. Also I’d like to have them throw some BB&F on them even if there is an offered shaft that fits.

I understand and I am not trying to be critical. Nor is my question directed solely to you. I understood that the theory is that optimization of the weighting would result in better delivery of a square face at impact. That makes sense.

i don’t see how that increases club speed. It should increase ball speed with a higher smash factor.
Also, a higher smash factor should increase ball speed by more than a 1:1 ratio.
When I first read it it jumped out at me too. Something's a bit off. And I thought, 'they should have just left that last one (club speed) out'. It would have avoided a lot of extra thinking. They seemed to want to include all the typical fitting data though, or make it seem like the did. *This is not me knocking anyone. This is just how I see it and I totally get the possible reasons for some of it. Marketing is important. I have no issues with any of it*

So if you go look at the data, they give you the player, their handicap, the gamer club model, and 5 swings with each setting and with their gamer. What they don't give you is the specs on the gamer club. Or the test club outside of weight position. Or the order they were hit in. That leaves a lot of room for apples to not be going up against apples. Loft, shaft, warm/cold body, even different grips affect closure rates and face to path results and those affect pretty much everything. 🤷‍♂️ First guy swung 1.6 mph faster with the SMS they chose as best fit, averaged 3.1 mph more ball speed, launched it .4* higher, spun it almost the same, and gained .7 yards in the air. Closure rate nearly identical, face a little more neutral at impact, and deviations pretty much tighter across the board. Pretty solid argument to consider them. Yay! No worries. Things look a lot like that going forward. And that thinking problem with the swing speeds comes right back because of it. When I first read it one of the things I thought was 'hey, you get someone squaring it up and they tend to swing a little faster because they're more confident'. Well there are some really solid players in that data group. Low single, scratch, and multiple plus handicaps that would know and feel extremely comfortable with their own gear. And aside from one guy (8.2 hdcp), whose SS they just didn't put a highlight around, their fastest swing speeds with their own are uniformly slower or at best about tied with the slowest of any with the test clubs. That just doesn't tend to happen unless you're handing them a bit of an orange to compare to their apple. Something lighter, softer, warm vs. not warm, something. It's odd. And it's odd in its universality.

But odd things happen and are part of the beauty of life. Averages themselves can be a little odd. Ever look at your average numbers after hitting something and think the numbers don't make sense. Like those averages as a 'shot' don't make any sense. Cause that happens. I'm not asking or looking for any kind of explanation, because I think talking about it probably just takes away from the important parts. Which is why I kind of wish they'd just left it out of that little bullet point results thing. The important parts, for me, being that deviations were mostly tighter with the SMS they fit best in, the weight system showed decent effect, and the face data on the their fit vs. their gamer was really interesting. I would be a big fan of another company opening up their data books as it were, like this, even if it invites a couple questions, but I can't think of who would. Just that alone got me to look deeper and think more about these irons than anyone's regular marketing has. And that's pretty cool.

Last edited:
When I first read it it jumped out at me too. Something's a bit off. And I thought, 'they should have just left that last one (club speed) out'. It would have avoided a lot of extra thinking. They seemed to want to include all the typical fitting data though, or make it seem like the did. *This is not me knocking anyone. This is just how I see it and I totally get the possible reasons for some of it. Marketing is important. I have no issues with any of it*

So if you go look at the data, they give you the player, their handicap, the gamer club model, and 5 swings with each setting and with their gamer. What they don't give you is the specs on the gamer club. Or the test club outside of weight position. Or the order they were hit in. That leaves a lot of room for apples to not be going up against apples. Loft, shaft, warm/cold body, even different grips affect closure rates and face to path results and those affect pretty much everything. 🤷‍♂️ First guy swung 1.6 mph faster with the SMS they chose as best fit, averaged 3.1 mph more ball speed, launched it .4* higher, spun it almost the same, and gained .7 yards in the air. Closure rate nearly identical, face a little more neutral at impact, and deviations pretty much tighter across the board. Pretty solid argument to consider them. Yay! No worries. Things look a lot like that going forward. And that thinking problem with the swing speeds comes right back because of it. When I first read it one of the things I thought was 'hey, you get someone squaring it up and they tend to swing a little faster because they're more confident'. Well there are some really solid players in that data group. Low single, scratch, and multiple plus handicaps that would know and feel extremely comfortable with their own gear. And aside from one guy (8.2 hdcp), whose SS they just didn't put a highlight around, their fastest swing speeds with their own are uniformly slower or at best about tied with the slowest of any with the test clubs. That just doesn't tend to happen unless you're handing them a bit of an orange to compare to their apple. Something lighter, softer, warm vs. not warm, something. It's odd. And it's odd in its universality.

But odd things happen and are part of the beauty of life. Averages themselves can be a little odd. Ever look at your average numbers after hitting something and think the numbers don't make sense. Like those averages as a 'shot' don't make any sense. Cause that happens. I'm not asking or looking for any kind of explanation, because I think talking about it probably just takes away from the important parts. Which is why I kind of wish they'd just left it out of that little bullet point results thing. The important parts, for me, being that deviations were mostly tighter with the SMS they fit best in, the weight system showed decent effect, and the face data on the their fit vs. their gamer was really interesting. I would be a big fan of another company opening up their data books as it were, like this, even if it invites a couple questions, but I can't think of who would. Just that alone got me to look deeper and think more about these irons than anyone's regular marketing has. And that's pretty cool.
Great thoughts! Thanks for taking the time to write them.

Another great promo on IG about the new irons with @Koske. I am crazy excited about these.

I absolutely cannot wait to get my set of these. There’s a LOT to be curious of, and @Canadan and @Koske on Off Course this week just got me even more curious!

Back