PGA Tour Prize Money Increases

They sit on a large chunk of $ and have done nothing to improve TV coverage or take care of the caddies and lower level tours. Hey, let's do events for the top players with guaranteed money...isn't this what the WGC was suppose to be???

All PGA Tour events are helped with volunteers who has to pay out of pocket so they can help "volunteer".

Danny

Interesting all of a sudden millions of dollars have been found.

what a joke.

It must be nice to have the operating reserve to fund these events.

Or the fact that everything has been said is now coming to light. Shady things have been taking place. 😂

They sit on a large chunk of $ and have done nothing to improve TV coverage or take care of the caddies and lower level tours. Hey, let's do events for the top players with guaranteed money...isn't this what the WGC was suppose to be???

All PGA Tour events are helped with volunteers who has to pay out of pocket so they can help "volunteer".

Danny

And pay for their "uniforms" and a portion of their food and beverage. At least that was how it was the last time I looked at being a volunteer.

This whole ordeal has been a dumpster fire on both sides from a communication and priorities. 🤣 It’s like watching all the other train wreck reality tv shows can’t wait to see what happens next week.

Oh boy now we’re attacking the PGA Tour’s taking advantage of poor unsuspecting volunteers? 😆

I don't know why you all think this is somehow related to golfers leaving for LIV. They increase the size of the legacy purse at a few events and people start screaming gotcha.

Oh boy now we’re attacking the PGA Tour’s taking advantage of poor unsuspecting volunteers? 😆

It just goes to show you that you never know where these threads will lead us. :LOL:

Interesting all of a sudden millions of dollars have been found.

what a joke.

I am not understanding why everyone keeps saying it's money that is magically found? It is very very very poor timing on the PGAT, but this has been in the works for awhile now. Its been known or at least assumed as players and people in the know have spoken out about it.

And the commissioner himself sent this to the players "These increase will be funded by sponsorship support and supplemented in the short term by operating revenue." This found money isn't all coming from extra revenue that the tour is hiding.

Monahan keeps saying that it’s not about money... and then all of a sudden here comes more $$$$$.

Been saying this all along. His reaction wasn't to "Protect the integrity of the game of golf and of the PGA Tour", it was to protect the revenue stream of the PGA Tour.

I like the gripes about how "suddenly this is about money??". This is a money-making enterprise. This is a job. For everyone involved. Of course its about money. Its always been about money. But it can be about money, AND playing the best in the world on the tour with all the legacy and history.

Monahan keeps saying that it’s not about money... and then all of a sudden here comes more $$$$$.
With respect to that, just because they put out more money doesn't mean it is or isn't about money. It's certainly not all about money but the media narrative (for right or wrong) has been a big focus on the money that is going to the LIV players. Something needed to happen to address it, we all knew it was coming.

For the PGA to hold or get talent they are going to need to move at least a little bit. I'm not saying it's right but it is part of horse trading.

I still don't agree with it if the purses are going to be again skewed to the top I would rather than 5 million or 8 million added go to the missed cuts and to help balance everyone who's not top 3. The top of the curve doesn't need this additional money, but that's who it is aimed at yet because they have to recognition. They need to continue to pay all levels and make it a reasonable living with all of the added expenses.

Well that is interesting both in what's being done and timing, imho. I see it good for the players, but it feels like it validates concerns that have been brought up and does little to actually address many of them. At least is feels like somewhat of a step in the right direction.

And pay for their "uniforms" and a portion of their food and beverage. At least that was how it was the last time I looked at being a volunteer.
You are correct. You have a volunteer application fee then on top of that uniform fees. Question is where does all those application fees go?

Granted I got to play TPC Sawgrass for a cart fee.

Danny

so everybody, including volunteers should get paid? I'd love to see the P&L from the volunteers paying.I'm assuming their money goes to the charitable contributions....

I’d laugh if it wasn’t so throughly predictable. I doubt just tossing money at it stops the exodus but I guess we’ll find out.

I volunteer for the Memorial Tournament and I'm not buying anything except maybe an extra shirt or rain jacket if I want it. I get 2 free passes for the tournament and the uniform shirt for nothing other than 12 hours of my time to help the event be successful. I'm not asked to pay a dime to volunteer my time if I don't want to.

I've heard of people paying to volunteer at majors and I don't know about other tournaments on the PGA tour but I suspect the tournament committees for each event are responsible for their own volunteers. Since the PGA doesn't control the majors as everyone here loves to point out, I can only assume the USGA is responsible for staffing the US Open and the PGA of America is responsible for staffing the PGA.

EDT: I also got tickets for free meals that could be used at the course concessions stands for my time since I didn't actually work at the course much during my volunteer sessions.

I volunteer for the Memorial Tournament and I'm not buying anything except maybe an extra shirt or rain jacket if I want it. I get 2 free passes for the tournament and the uniform shirt for nothing other than 12 hours of my time to help the event be successful. I'm not asked to pay a dime to volunteer my time if I don't want to.

I've heard of people paying to volunteer at majors and I don't know about other tournaments on the PGA tour but I suspect the tournament committees for each event are responsible for their own volunteers. Since the PGA doesn't control the majors as everyone here loves to point out, I can only assume the USGA is responsible for staffing the US Open and the PGA of America is responsible for staffing the PGA.

EDT: I also got tickets for free meals that could be used at the course concessions stands for my time since I didn't actually work at the course much during my volunteer sessions.
I volunteered twice for the USGA. Bought my own shirts, kept them, badge got me in when not working and food tickets for when I did.

I agree it may not stop the has-beens and no-chances from taking the LIV money, but I'm sure the top players are happy and that helps, nobody with an opinion that matters is criticizing them on this move.

Not a great look for the PGA.

Curious what a better look (within reason) would have been at this point with so many players jumping ship.

If they made the changes a long time ago on their own accord by listening to the player's issues and worked with them better. I'm sure it has been a long time well before LIV that the players have wanted a lot of changes. Also obviously, they are not taking out loans and running themselves financially thin to dump more money into the tour, and they have a ton of money laying around (about 1 billion in cash). So, it really looks like they didn't want to make any changes until LIV came around.

Last edited:
Back