Srixon Z-Star XV, TriSpeed, Soft Feel Golf Balls

When you say off the tee that means off the driver as well? I'm becoming a srixon fan and am curious about the new release, but can't handle a high spin ball off a driver yet.

Edit. That wasn't clear at all, what I meant was are you seeing more spin relative to height or side to side movement.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I would say both.

Both my playing partner and I played these today (Z-Star and Z-Star XV) each for 9 holes. Both of us came away liking them more and more. The Z-Star is definitely the spinnier of the two both around the greens and off the tee, it is also the easier of the two to compress off the tee and gave me more distance and him less distance (fast SS).

The one thing I want to comment on is the incredible sound that we both enjoyed from the Z-Star off the putter. It is a deeper sound that I remember and one that gives off the impression of an even softer feel. Great performance all around and a premium ball people should really consider.

Hey JB, I know you only have one round in now with the Z Star and I'm sure you'll do additional on course testing but do you feel it may have a chance to be your gamer?

Hey JB, I know you only have one round in now with the Z Star and I'm sure you'll do additional on course testing but do you feel it may have a chance to be your gamer?

Not at this time. Its a great ball and I like it quite a bit, but I have been to a fitting and seen exactly what the best ball for me is for my game.

Not at this time. Its a great ball and I like it quite a bit, but I have been to a fitting and seen exactly what the best ball for me is for my game.

Understood. I think the Z Star and the B330-RX are really close performance wise. Playing the Z Star now for over a year and just haven't seen any real gains while on the course playing the RX. Having said that I think the only real difference I have found is that I personally seem to get just a little more bite on the greens with the Z Star.

Truth be told, I could play either ball and not be disappointed.

Understood. I think the Z Star and the B330-RX are really close performance wise. Playing the Z Star now for over a year and just haven't seen any real gains while on the course playing the RX. Having said that I think the only real difference I have found is that I personally seem to get just a little more bite on the greens with the Z Star.

Truth be told, I could play either ball and not be disappointed.

I get more bite around the greens with Z-Star too. Unfortunately I also get a ton more spin off the tee too. I am a big believer in finding optimal launch conditions.

I get more bite around the greens with Z-Star too. Unfortunately I also get a ton more spin off the tee too. I am a big believer in finding optimal launch conditions.

I've got to find a way to get to an in person, on the range Bridgestone fitting. Would love to see the numbers. Would make the switch without a second thought if the RX gave me better launch numbers. May have to see if I can compare the two on the launch monitor at the local Golf Galaxy.

I've got to find a way to get to an in person, on the range Bridgestone fitting. Would love to see the numbers. Would make the switch without a second thought if the RX gave me better launch numbers. May have to see if I can compare the two on the launch monitor at the local Golf Galaxy.

And I want to reiterate that this was strictly for me. Many others will find that the Srixon is the best ball for them.

And I want to reiterate that this was strictly for me. Many others will find that the Srixon is the best ball for them.

Got it, that's the way I feel about the Z Star but I will make it a priority to get launch monitor numbers in the next 2 weeks. Hard data will overrule my feelings and I know I can make the adjustments around the green to become very confident playing the RX if the numbers support that ball.

I have been using the Trispeed Tour yellow the last two weeks and I think it performs well but has a "different" feel to me than the standard Trispeed white.Performance is close but i just don't feel like the Trispeed tour is "compressing" like the standard white.Am I just imagining this or is there that much difference in the Trispeed and Trispeed tour.I reallly love the yellow color of the tour.

Played all weekend with the Srixon Z-Star and Z-Star XV golf balls. Really enjoy them. Based on my game and swing, the Z-Star fits me a little better and I get better distance out of it. It also spins like the dickens around the green. The Z-Star XV launches a little lower for me and spins a little less around the green. I like a little less spin around the green personally.

Based on fitting, if these fit you, you should definitely try them out.

I have a fairly high , sometimes ballooning driver launch with my SuperTri that I am borrowing and trying out. Yes, I know that driver is a high-spin, high launch but I like its feel and want to try to lower the flight through weighting changes, maybe a shaft change, and also a ball before giving up.

Would the Trispeed Tour launch noticeably lower than an e6?

If anyone wants to get rid of their yellow Z-Stars, throw them my way...

I got the chance to play the yellow XVs and really liked them. Apparently perfect for my 105 swing speed, I love the feel and look of them. If they can handle the wind like they are supposed to, then I am all set! My next step is to do some short game tests to see if they stop a little better than the e6 like I would assume.

Had the chance to play the z-star and z-star xv yesterday, 9 holes each. I found the z-star a little longer off the tee and the xv a little better around the greens. That had me a little confused since the xv is supposed to have a slightly firmer cover.

I hardly ever spin balls back, but I did it 3 times yesterday with a full 58* and a 9 iron. Enjoyed the audible tone coming from the putter and the smooth feel on both models. Took a sharpie and marked over the names and putted each ball a few times, couldn't tell a difference.

I'm hoping to get out for a round on Christmas and play these two side by side. Both are incredibly good so it will be a tough choice between the two.

Last edited:
SW - did you see any noticeable difference off the tee when it came to ball flight or side-spin? I've been playing around with the Z-Star, but the local pro-shop didn't have any sleeves of XV's when I went to look. I didn't see much difference off the tee between the Z-Star and Q-Star, but that was just visual.

I wish I could hit the ball on some real greens to get a feel for that aspect, but I'm going to need to be patient I guess.

SW - did you see any noticeable difference off the tee when it came to ball flight or side-spin? I've been playing around with the Z-Star, but the local pro-shop didn't have any sleeves of XV's when I went to look. I didn't see much difference off the tee between the Z-Star and Q-Star, but that was just visual.

I wish I could hit the ball on some real greens to get a feel for that aspect, but I'm going to need to be patient I guess.

Distance wise no not really, the Z-star and Q-star were neck and neck and the XV was a little shorter. Most likely because the XV has the higher compression of the 3. Side to side I found them to be in this order Z-Star, Q-star, XV. That order might sound odd since the Z-Star is supposed to be the highest spinning one off the tee but I've hit more fairways with it than the others through 3 rounds. To make it even more confusing I like the XV around the greens, I don't spin balls back, ever, but I did it several times with the XV. Off course each time made the putt longer, fml!

I have a lesson on Thursday and I'm going to put all 3 on the launch monitor afterwards, I'll post up the numbers for everyone.

You want me to send you an XV care package?

Thanks for the great info dude. I need to get all three on the monitor as well, but I'm thinking I'll wait until my lessons have progressed a bit. I appreciate the care package offer, but no worries ;) I just stopped by one place and haven't been by any others. Didn't surprise me the one I went to didn't have them. They are still trying to offload 2008's equipment.

I really like the z-star as a ball, and that would be my gamer if I was a Cleveland srixon staffer. Q-star is also a great ball, but around the greens, the z-star can be magic for you.

I've liked it in the past for sure. I wonder if Srixon is coming out with any new lines in 2012?

I've been playing the Z-Star XV since last summer, and I'm sure I'll be playing it for quite a while. It's the only ball that basically even works for me off the driver, not to mention I gained 10 to 20 yards throughout the bag once I got off the ProV1X. Every now and then, especially now in winter, I'll try to play with another ball, most recently the Nike 20XI-X and I just cant control it with the driver. The Srixon feels great, flies high, stay's on target, and I love it. Occasionally I'll catch one and it'll spin back off the green, but for the most part, my iron shots are sticking where they hit. I've even come to prefer the Tour Yellow so much so, that in my club tournaments people see the yellow ball dropping behind them and know who's it is. :act-up:

Also they are at a pretty good price point for a premium ball. I usually get the trial pack they have at my course with a sleeve of white and a sleeve of yellow for $20.

I've been playing the Z-Star XV since last summer, and I'm sure I'll be playing it for quite a while. It's the only ball that basically even works for me off the driver, not to mention I gained 10 to 20 yards throughout the bag once I got off the ProV1X. Every now and then, especially now in winter, I'll try to play with another ball, most recently the Nike 20XI-X and I just cant control it with the driver. The Srixon feels great, flies high, stay's on target, and I love it. Occasionally I'll catch one and it'll spin back off the green, but for the most part, my iron shots are sticking where they hit. I've even come to prefer the Tour Yellow so much so, that in my club tournaments people see the yellow ball dropping behind them and know who's it is. :act-up:

Also they are at a pretty good price point for a premium ball. I usually get the trial pack they have at my course with a sleeve of white and a sleeve of yellow for $20.

Thanks for the thoughts, Dr D. I know the XV's aren't exactly designed with me in mind, but I still feel like I should give them a shot. Can't rule out anything without seeing the numbers I guess. I almost grabbed a dozen today, but I think I'm just going to get a sleeve to start with.

I would absolutely recommend giving them a try. I would still love to try some other options, but at this point I've found what works for me. I know I can get more greenside spin with some other balls, but apparently that is where the compromise for my game is going to come.

I would absolutely recommend giving them a try. I would still love to try some other options, but at this point I've found what works for me. I know I can get more greenside spin with some other balls, but apparently that is where the compromise for my game is going to come.

I think it's a fair compromise and I imagine you can still getting pretty decent spin out of them.

I think I'm still getting plenty of spin, but sometimes I wish I could zip 'em all back. Just for fun.

I think I'm still getting plenty of spin, but sometimes I wish I could zip 'em all back. Just for fun.

hahaha. I do that once or twice a year!

Back