TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 Wedges

Fresh ones are dialed in and in full weapon mode. And it's so much fun when they are. SO versatile. Up and down on automatic the last few days, and really enjoy them in combination with the CSX LS.

Fresh ones are dialed in and in full weapon mode. And it's so much fun when they are. SO versatile. Up and down on automatic the last few days, and really enjoy them in combination with the CSX LS.
What did you have to dial in, given that you have been playing this wedge? Wouldn’t you just set them up exactly like the last set and throw them in the bag? I am not being critical, just genuinely curious and trying to learn.

Last edited:
I am still really enjoying the wedge setup that I have, even though it is not traditional. I mean, how many people carry a pw, 47*, 52*, 56* and 60*? That is five wedges. I look at my last round, though, and I hit full shots with the 60*, the 56*, the 52* and the pw.

I also continue to see good success with the two TW grinds. They fit my attack and conditions really well. Just really happy with my wedges and that has been a weak spot in my game for a couple of years.

What did you have to dial in, given that you have been playing this wedge? Wouldn’t you just sit them up exactly like the last set and throw them in the bag? I am not being critical, just genuinely curious and trying to learn.
Well I wanted them in play right away, so I just did that. That went as a smart person should expect. 😆 I play longer (and these are pretty short), and flatter, so yeah I did like I had it on my last ones. Moved the shafts down, changed the grips, bent them, and then spent a couple rounds getting used to the fresher grooves. It's been noticable.

Jaws are out and pulling the trigger on MG3 but stuck on picking lofts for two wedges coming from 50/54/58 in jaws.

Jaws are out and pulling the trigger on MG3 but stuck on picking lofts for two wedges coming from 50/54/58 in jaws.
what is your pw loft?

You're wanting to consolidate those 3 into 2 MG3s?

I play a 50.8 SM6 Vokey and a 54.11 MG3, and when I replace that worn out Vokey it'll be with another MG3. For whatever reason they play better for me. Never saw a need for more loft than that 54 degree MG3 either - full shot to flop shot to short sided bunkers, that thing is money and does it all.

52.09 and 56.14 have been ordered. Hopefully they’ll be here by Friday to be in the bag for Sunday’s round

These wedges let me get away with just about anything.

I'm a big fan of that.

These wedges let me get away with just about anything.

I'm a big fan of that.

my low bounce W grind used to be that for me but lately something has changed and just needed to go in a different direction with short game. Hopefully the magic they’ve worked for you will show itself with mine.

Wedges are in and first round is this weekend

79AE6CC8-8367-431A-91A3-F5B9419B09E5.jpeg

Up and down greenside for easy birdie
100y to 17' and 2 putt par (terrible swing)
83y to 2', birdie
92y to 10' lip out, par
32y to 3', birdie
Tough short side to 10', but go the putt for par
up and down from fringe for birdie
up and down greenside for easy par
109y to 15' and birdie
up and down greenside for easy par
up and down greenside for easy birdie

That was the action my two MG3's saw today. A lot of different positions and lies. They're really good.

I guess I missed your post from a couple previous. Sorry. You still planning to get them in play this weekend?

yep, Sunday morning 6:40. Might try and get a chipping session in tomorrow but depends on work load

@Tenputt @OldandStiff either of you go with stock TI S200 shafts? Feel rather light than normal TI s400

yep, Sunday morning 6:40. Might try and get a chipping session in tomorrow but depends on work load

@Tenputt @OldandStiff either of you go with stock TI S200 shafts? Feel rather light than normal TI s400
I play S200 in all my wedges, so that feels like home to me. Good match for DG 120 X100 imo, but I played them even prior to that. These are a little short for me since I play +1/4 and they're already a little shorter than Vokey's, T22, etc, at stock. So I move my 54 shaft to my 60 and cut one for the 54 (55 actual). Even that's dicey though because the heads are heavy. SWs are already pretty heavy prior to that. Definitely gonna have a different feel than S400 though and be about 5g or so lighter overall.

I just have the stock shafts in both my MG3 47* and 52* and in my two Tiger Woods grinds. The stock shafts are S200 and S400, respectively. I didn’t know that, until I read your post and looked it up on the TaylorMade website. I cannot disceren a difference between the two. The website says that the S200 is 129 grams and the S400 is 130 grams, which has got to be negligible. According to True Temper, they are the same shaft, but simply sorted for weight tolerances.

I play S200 in all my wedges, so that feels like home to me. Good match for DG 120 X100 imo, but I played them even prior to that. These are a little short for me since I play +1/4 and they're already a little shorter than Vokey's, T22, etc, at stock. So I move my 54 shaft to my 60 and cut one for the 54 (55 actual). Even that's dicey though because the heads are heavy. SWs are already pretty heavy prior to that. Definitely gonna have a different feel than S400 though and be about 5g or so lighter overall.
As per my prior post, it is interesting that the TaylorMade website only lists the weight difference as 1 gram. According to what else I have read, the weight difference would be anywhere between 3 and 5 grams, as you posted. I wonder if the TM website is wrong or if they are ordering in specified weights, since it all apparently is the same shaft, just sorted by weights. I also would still guess that most of us could not discern the difference. I know I can’t. I was surprised when I looked it up and found out that the TW grinds have a different shaft than the standard MG3.

As per my prior post, it is interesting that the TaylorMade website only lists the weight difference as 1 gram. According to what else I have read, the weight difference would be anywhere between 3 and 5 grams, as you posted. I wonder if the TM website is wrong or if they are ordering in specified weights, since it all apparently is the same shaft, just sorted by weights. I also would still guess that most of us could not discern the difference. I know I can’t. I was surprised when I looked it up and found out that the TW grinds have a different shaft than the standard MG3.
They're definitely more like 5 from my weighing them. They're the exact same as the ones I buy. You can often find a TM labeled one mixed in on one my wedges, because I move them from wedge to wedge when the length is right for whatever hosel they have.

And yeah we're all a little different. The TW ones jump out at me like crazy.

First practice session with MG3 52/56 and to be honest, very underwhelmed with them. Had very high hopes for these given my past experience with true temper shafts and actually demoing similar MG3 head twice. But alas it appears while results were good, the feel of the club (reason for my change from JAWS) is lacking.

My set up is stock across the board

true temper TI s200 wedge and lamkin cross line 360 52g grip. The demo club I tried before was TI s400 with same grip and it’s a night and day difference. TM website states stock form should come in at D5 but I’m going to shop today to get them SW.

Either way I spent 45 minutes at the practice which resulted in 120 chips greenside varying from 5ft to 25 ft. Mixed in tp5x balls and CSX balls from 2019. Going high or bumping low was easy with 56 but better controlled with 52. Check wasn’t quite there but have a feeling hand speed or lack it played a part in that equation. Not giving up on them yet but definitely looking in to set up more before committing to them for rest of the year

First practice session with MG3 52/56 and to be honest, very underwhelmed with them. Had very high hopes for these given my past experience with true temper shafts and actually demoing similar MG3 head twice. But alas it appears while results were good, the feel of the club (reason for my change from JAWS) is lacking.

My set up is stock across the board

true temper TI s200 wedge and lamkin cross line 360 52g grip. The demo club I tried before was TI s400 with same grip and it’s a night and day difference. TM website states stock form should come in at D5 but I’m going to shop today to get them SW.

Either way I spent 45 minutes at the practice which resulted in 120 chips greenside varying from 5ft to 25 ft. Mixed in tp5x balls and CSX balls from 2019. Going high or bumping low was easy with 56 but better controlled with 52. Check wasn’t quite there but have a feeling hand speed or lack it played a part in that equation. Not giving up on them yet but definitely looking in to set up more before committing to them for rest of the year
See I notice a big difference between S400 and S200, but I didn't want to poison anything for you. My setup definitely feels maybe more harsh to some, but also more responsive to me because of that. S400 always feels soft to me, and maybe just from the weight or butt, a little looser. Going from S400 T22 to MG3 S200 in testing was about as night and day on feel and feedback as it gets for me.

And the feel of these is definitely unique. MD5s are just firmish hard to me, T22s very soft, but these are just kind of their own feel. I think I mention it a bunch early in the thread that it's a little different. Even from the MG2s. Lot of feedback, and some of it a little different. Crisp-ish, but a little odd. And it really brings it differences in balls. I know I mentioned that. It's great for ball testing, and in my opinion it shines a massive light on what I consider to be a pretty clicky feeling/sounding previous version CSX. That ball off this wedge might be the worst combo I've ever hit. I couldn't stand it. I didn't really like those balls outside of these wedges anyway, so it wasn't an issue for me. I played TP5x mostly with them early on. Sucks your first outing wasn't quite what you were hoping.

See I notice a big difference between S400 and S200, but I didn't want to poison anything for you. My setup definitely feels maybe more harsh to some, but also more responsive to me because of that. S400 always feels soft to me, and maybe just from the weight or butt, a little looser. Going from S400 T22 to MG3 S200 in testing was about as night and day on feel and feedback as it gets for me.

And the feel of these is definitely unique. MD5s are just firmish hard to me, T22s very soft, but these are just kind of their own feel. I think I mention it a bunch early in the thread that it's a little different. Even from the MG2s. Lot of feedback, and some of it a little different. Crisp-ish, but a little odd. And it really brings it differences in balls. I know I mentioned that. It's great for ball testing, and in my opinion it shines a massive light on what I consider to be a pretty clicky feeling/sounding previous version CSX. That ball off this wedge might be the worst combo I've ever hit. I couldn't stand it. I didn't really like those balls outside of these wedges anyway, so it wasn't an issue for me. I played TP5x mostly with them early on. Sucks your first outing wasn't quite what you were hoping.

Appreciate the detailed response and I’m definitely understanding more about these wedges as the day goes on.

Back