Anders73

Reaction score
Handicap
What would you expect to lose in distance when using range balls? 1 club?

Just curious as took the new Ping G15's out for the 1st time last night and was hitting about 160 yrds with my 7 iron, about 10-15 yrds further my Cobra S3 Max's

On a side note, well done Ping....I was expecting 4-PW but also got a SW thrown in :D

What would you expect to lose in distance when using range balls? 1 club?

Just curious as took the new Ping G15's out for the 1st time last night and was hitting about 160 yrds with my 7 iron, about 10-15 yrds further my Cobra S3 Max's

On a side note, well done Ping....I was expecting 4-PW but also got a SW thrown in :D
I don't put too much merit in distance when hitting range balls. Unless they are newer, you can just never tell. It's something you have to dial in on the course.

If you are hitting hit father, it could be they are stronger lofted or you were amped up from the excitement of new sticks. Either way, looks like you are happy. Congrats on the new sticks. Hope they treat you well.

I don't put too much merit in distance when hitting range balls. Unless they are newer, you can just never tell. It's something you have to dial in on the course.

If you are hitting hit father, it could be they are stronger lofted or you were amped up from the excitement of new sticks. Either way, looks like you are happy. Congrats on the new sticks. Hope they treat you well.

Not very impressed with the stock grips though, was quite humid and could really feel my bottom hand twisting. So new grips are going to be needed but other than that very happy

Not very impressed with the stock grips though, was quite humid and could really feel my bottom hand twisting. So new grips are going to be needed but other than that very happy
I can't tell you how many stock grips are just complete junk. It's almost a given with any club I've purchased in the last two years that I go with something I like. It sucks.

depending on what balls you're using and what condition the range balls are, you could probably either gain a club or lose a club in terms of distance

The range balls I get at my local place are rubbish, and I don't bother about the distance they fly at all. It's about consistency of the strike when at the range for me.

I do not know if this is fact or urban legend, but my understanding is that there is about a 10% lose of distance. Again this is what I have heard over the years from various driving range owners and teaching pros that I know.

I was smashing balls at a new range once and could not for the life of me figure out why they were only going about 70% of their intended distance. Upon further investigation, they were freakin' stamped 'flight restricted'. So a solid 5 iron was lucky to go about 140-150.
I even think the harder they were hit, the more distance they lost. I couldn't get anywhere near 250 even swinging out of my shoes.

It pretty much evens out for me. Range balls may not fly as far but I'm on a dead flat lie and zero distractions. I definitely get better trajectory at the range.

I would think at least a club maybe 2

Do you still have your old irons? When I was demoing I hit both my old one and the new one just for a comparison. Don't know that it's very accurate based on the range ball flights, but at least you'd get a pretty good idea?

Yes, I love those too!

I do not know if this is fact or urban legend, but my understanding is that there is about a 10% lose of distance. Again this is what I have heard over the years from various driving range owners and teaching pros that I know.

That is what I have heard too, not sure how this is determined as our range has TaylorMade, Precept & TopFlight balls in the buckets in all stages of usage from new to almost no dimples.

My club uses whitek range balks and they are restricted flight. Not distance loss until you get into the mid irons. Then the distance increases with the club. Super noticeable with the driver and three word. From what I heard from the ping rep was to not use range balls on a new driver anyway.

All the courses around here use lost balls as range balls. It drives me crazy especially since I've been trying to really dial in my distances after a big swing change. One ball will fly great then the next you swore you've hit a rock.

So to answer your question (imo) you cannot even guess-timate one club loss. You have no idea how old they are or what kind of abuse they've been subjected to.

Congrats on the new clubs btw.

my range just got brand spanking new pinnacle yellow range balls, really a big improvement over what they had, i have noticed about a 1/2 club to a club distance loss which is great compared to the old beat up balls we had before

Realistically, you should be hitting the ball the same if not a tad bit further. More than likely the range you are using is using the standard 2piece ball. Should be around your stock distances though.
-Bennett

Back