TESTED! Cobra KING Tec Hybrid Review

Took the 2h back to the range last week as it has been out of the bag the last few months. Like riding a bike. So easy to hit. Need to keep it ready in case I need it in North Carolina instead of the utility.

Took the 2h back to the range last week as it has been out of the bag the last few months. Like riding a bike. So easy to hit. Need to keep it ready in case I need it in North Carolina instead of the utility.
I’m considering a 2H order. Loft it all the way down and hit some runners with it. Gonna have some extras for trade soon so it likely will be the club.

Got out for the first time with the new King Tec Hybrids in the bag for 9 holes. When I made my decision on the top end of the bag for the Morgan Cup, I went 2, 3, & 4 Hybrid. I did this because I had tested the 3 in my local golf shop and it felt great. I wanted to give myself something long and straight off the tee when driver wasn’t the play, but also easy to hit off the fairway on long par 5’s. My first impressions say I made the right choice.

I played a course that’s new to me. Most of the fairways were right with tree trouble if you missed either direction. I hit hybrids on 5/7 tee shots today and only missed one fairway. That was just long through the fairway on a small dogleg so not the worst miss.
0F7ED52C-8033-42A1-AAC5-62EDDB3B0C1E.png

Not only were they going straight, but they were going long! To have these options off the tee and stay in the fairway will be huge for my game. I know it’s a limited sample size but I’m excited about them. The next round is a tournament on Saturday morning.
6CC2E882-3B6F-4DFD-B1C9-D3DF18ADE559.jpeg

Got out for the first time with the new King Tec Hybrids in the bag for 9 holes. When I made my decision on the top end of the bag for the Morgan Cup, I went 2, 3, & 4 Hybrid. I did this because I had tested the 3 in my local golf shop and it felt great. I wanted to give myself something long and straight off the tee when driver wasn’t the play, but also easy to hit off the fairway on long par 5’s. My first impressions say I made the right choice.

I played a course that’s new to me. Most of the fairways were right with tree trouble if you missed either direction. I hit hybrids on 5/7 tee shots today and only missed one fairway. That was just long through the fairway on a small dogleg so not the worst miss.
View attachment 9101006

Not only were they going straight, but they were going long! To have these options off the tee and stay in the fairway will be huge for my game. I know it’s a limited sample size but I’m excited about them. The next round is a tournament on Saturday morning.
View attachment 9101007
Limited sample size but the gapping looks good. What is you next iron after the hybrid.

Limited sample size but the gapping looks good. What is you next iron after the hybrid.
5 iron after the 4h. My old 5i was my 200yd club. I’m thinking the FTx will be about 210 so I should be ok. Time will tell.

Just finished up the first full round with these in the bag. It’s still early (only 27 holes) on with them but here are my thoughts this far. As a reminder I have 2/3/4 in my bag.

Looks: These clubs look beyond amazing. Everyone that sees them says “wow those look good.”

Sound: When you hit these you know instantly that the ball comes off hot. It’s kind of in between a “ping” and “thwack” sound. I like it because it just sounds like a great hit.

Feel: It seems to feel solid across the face. The only strike that I’ve really felt it in my hands that didn’t feel great was a tee shot off the toe.

Forgiveness: I have the heavy weights in the heel & back to help keep the ball going straight/left because the face naturally sits a touch open. I’ve had several strikes towards the heel and the ball still flies straight. The distance is still very good off the heel. Toe strikes have been a touch shorter but still going straight in the limited sample size. My miss is more often to the heel. So far the 2 & 3 are 100% fairways for me!

Distance: LONG! I knew these were monsters off the tee. The 2 is averaging just over 250 for me and the 3 is just over 230. Today was the first time I had long enough holes to hit them off the deck. I had a long par 5 where I had 210 front, 220 pin and 235 back edge. I had a little helping wind so I went with the 4h. I hit the back fringe and went into the bunker behind 🤯. I felt like it was only a half club wind and definitely no more than one club.

View attachment 9101006

View attachment 9101007
Those are big numbers there :oops: I've had a couple of lower lofted hybrids in the bag previously but never managed to really elevate them well. These are suggesting I maybe should have given them a stronger look!

Those are big numbers there :oops: I've had a couple of lower lofted hybrids in the bag previously but never managed to really elevate them well. These are suggesting I maybe should have given them a stronger look!
So far they’ve been very easy to get elevated. Very happy with the choice of the 2h instead of the 3w so far.

I’m hoping to swap the Apex UW for a 2H very soon. Play it as a back up tee club at 15.5 degrees.

Got out for my second full round with these yesterday (45 holes total now). I was very glad I had these because my driver swing fell apart.

The 2h continues to one of my favorite clubs from my Morgan Cup bag. It’s a long fairway finding machine and so easy to hit. Between the three hybrids I’ve hit 11/14 fairways. Two of those misses were long through the fairway at the dogleg so not a big deal. No real bad misses at all.

2h is 7/8 fairways and averages 252yds
3h is 3/4 fairways and averages 236yds
4h is 1/2 fairways and averages 226yds

The other reason I went these over FW was to have an easier to hit option off the deck. I’ve had a few chances to do this now and been happy with the results. I’m playing 9 with my wife tonight and I’m planning to play the red tees with her using these without a tee to get a better idea of my off the deck distances.

Last edited:
Got out for my second full round with these yesterday (45 holes total now). I was very glad I had these because my driver swing fell apart.

The 2h continues to one of my favorite clubs from my Morgan Cup bag. It’s a long fairway finding machine and so easy to hit. Between the three hybrids I’ve hit 12/16 fairways. Two of those misses were long through the fairway at the dogleg so not a big deal. No real bad misses at all.

The other reason I went these over FW was to have an easier to hit option off the deck. I’ve had a few chances to do this now and been happy with the results. I’m playing 9 with my wife tonight and I’m planning to play the red tees with her using these without a tee to get a better idea of my off the deck distances.
Looks good. The hybrid strategy is looking like it is working.

Looks good. The hybrid strategy is looking like it is working.
Yes it is. I’ve been pleasantly surprised with these considering I only hit the 3h before ordering the other two.

Yes it is. I’ve been pleasantly surprised with these considering I only hit the 3h before ordering the other two.
Makes me even more confident taking two King Tecs as i also only hit the 3h

The 2h continues to one of my favorite clubs from my Morgan Cup bag. It’s a long fairway finding machine and so easy to hit. Between the three hybrids I’ve hit 12/16 fairways. Two of those misses were long through the fairway at the dogleg so not a big deal. No real bad misses at all.

You are still hitting driver on the first tee box though!! :cool:

Any hybrid chips with those things yet?

Another round in the books with these. I’m fairly certain the 2h is my new favorite club. I hit it on all but one hole off the tee today. It’s such a nice reliable feeling and provides plenty of distance. I’m sitting at 69% fairways with it through 3.5 rounds. That’s some team Hackers numbers 😂. The one thing I did notice is that if I get lazy about ball positioning and let it get just a little further forward, the hook comes into play quickly. I have the heavy weights heel & center to promote more draw shape.

These hybrids are very easy to hit off the deck and have been going nice and straight for me there. I’m finally feeling comfortable going after par 5 greens in two. These clubs are putting less pressure on me to hit driver perfect on these holes so that area is improving. I hit this green in two for the first time ever today and made an easy birdie. This is what I was really hoping to get from these hybrids.
625A5F63-CA80-46C7-B64E-918B889DAF9C.jpeg
Any hybrid chips with those things yet?
I had one chip out of some ugly rough with the 2h today and got up & down to save par. I also had two punch shots from the trees that I used the 2h. One got onto the green from about 125 out and the other stopped on the fringe. I stole pars on both holes.

Another round in the books with these. I’m fairly certain the 2h is my new favorite club. I hit it on all but one hole off the tee today. It’s such a nice reliable feeling and provides plenty of distance. I’m sitting at 69% fairways with it through 3.5 rounds. That’s some team Hackers numbers 😂. The one thing I did notice is that if I get lazy about ball positioning and let it get just a little further forward, the hook comes into play quickly. I have the heavy weights heel & center to promote more draw shape.

These hybrids are very easy to hit off the deck and have been going nice and straight for me there. I’m finally feeling comfortable going after par 5 greens in two. These clubs are putting less pressure on me to hit driver perfect on these holes so that area is improving. I hit this green in two for the first time ever today and made an easy birdie. This is what I was really hoping to get from these hybrids.
View attachment 9104059

I had one chip out of some ugly rough with the 2h today and got up & down to save par. I also had two punch shots from the trees that I used the 2h. One got onto the green from about 125 out and the other stopped on the fringe. I stole pars on both holes.
Stealing pars is a beautiful thing.

View attachment 9104059

Stealing Pars is great golf especially in match play

I love stolen pars.

I also love thinning these and skipping it off the short lake into the fairway like I did tonight. 😎

I love stolen pars.

I also love thinning these and skipping it off the short lake into the fairway like I did tonight. 😎
Did you strut afterwards?

I love stolen pars.

thats always fun 👊🏻

Received my 4 and 5 hybrids with the MMT shaft for the Morgan Cup bag yesterday. Hit a few balls inside and I like what I'm seeing so far. They aren't a compact hybrid of course but I didn't find them to be too big. I really like the contrast on the head, the grey strip makes it feel like I'm lining up a "blade" if that makes sense. Feel is a nice combo of "solid" and "tech". The MMT shaft seems to be a good pairing with this head and feels really stable. In the stock settings, the 5h goes about the same as my current 5h, and the 4h goes just a couple yards shorter than my 21* UW. Haven't started tinkering with lofts or weight settings yet. Felt I was hitting it pretty straight with the stock weight settings so I don't immediately see a need to change those. Could see maybe bumping up the loft on the 5h and down on the 4h but we'll see once the FWs arrive and I get settled in with the rest of the clubs.

Back