I totally agree. And as I've gotten older, I care less and less about what people think about what's in my bag. Ultimately it's about what score you post at the end of the day.

All of my stats show my short game is absolutely killing my score. If something can make it easier, I'm all for it. My only hesitation with the CHIPR is the price. It's pretty steep for this type of club. The funny thing is that even though I have a lot of Cleveland clubs in my bag, this actually made me look more in the Chipper C....which I always ignored because I liked my CBX2. I feel pretty good with full and partial wedges. But my weakness is the simple chip. My percentage of 1-putts after chipping is really low. I need a lot more putts under 3 feet.

I will Prob demo the ChipR. But as a Cleveland C owner I can contest it’s a great club. Has 42 degrees of loft and if struck well you can get some spin on it. It’s far more versatile than you would think. Just have to practice with it. Like any club. They can be had for pretty good price used. Certainly less than the Ping. Or try and an old Cleveland Niblick 42. The older brother of the C wedge. 👍

I have the Cleveland Smart Sole 4 C. I like it but seem to leave every chip short. When I try to muscle it I tend to skull it. Still trying to find how to use it effectively.
Maybe try a slightly longer backswing? Are you using a putter stroke with it? I find I swing it less like a putter and more like a wedge, to be honest.

The ChipR and links courses. I can see it.

I may need to lease one from PGATSS on their 90-day return policy for credit. Undecided. The Gap would probably go; grip down on PW

Maybe try a slightly longer backswing? Are you using a putter stroke with it? I find I swing it less like a putter and more like a wedge, to be honest.

I do the same thing with the C. I hit slightly down on it like a wedge and accelerate through the shot. The loft keeps it low and the Cleveland grooves will give it a little bite. The only time I use a putting stroke is on short chips. Like less that 20ft when I’m short sided with no obstacles. It’s very good for that. It’s a short club already so no need to choke up unless the lie angle is way above your feet or something. Choking up may cause you to blade it especially if it’s up in your stance. I put the ball exactly where I would put it for a putt.

The Ping ChipR has 38.5 degrees and looks much more like a club that will release more. Which is what is appealing to me. The C you gotta get some speed on the strike to get it to release fully when using a putter stroke. I mean it’s an all arms swing keep in mind. Unless it’s a downhill green or something hit that thing good! Bump and run gapping. 🤣 I love it.

I am all for anything that will help people play/score better. I just don’t know how successful this can be at $200 and taking one club out of your bag. However, if you don’t use 14 clubs then maybe this would be a good option.

Seems like you could get similar results choking down on a 7 or 8 iron, considering the target audience is probably playing a wider-soled iron already. Whatever gives you confidence though.

Seems like you could get similar results choking down on a 7 or 8 iron, considering the target audience is probably playing a wider-soled iron already. Whatever gives you confidence though.
The bold is an excellent point actually. I hadn’t thought of that, but it’s likely true.

I also even as a HS golf coach am amazed at the resistance to taking lower lofted clubs to chip, it’s just so damn easy and repeatable already.

The bold is an excellent point actually. I hadn’t thought of that, but it’s likely true.

I also even as a HS golf coach am amazed at the resistance to taking lower lofted clubs to chip, it’s just so damn easy and repeatable already.

It’s definitely not the sexy option, but works really well with a putter stroke and the right lie.

The only drawback I see in this approach (and it's more of an indictment of my game than anything else) is the need to manipulate the iron to "heel up" at the set up. I've forgotten to do that (frequently) and the results were less than impressive. The chipper already sets me up that way. (Just splitting hairs here, since work is quiet today.)

How does this compare to the Cleveland Smart Sole? I am looking into getting a chipper as a Christmas gift, my short game is a mess. I’m a high handicapper and don’t care what others think. I see it as no different than using a hybrid.

How does this compare to the Cleveland Smart Sole? I am looking into getting a chipper as a Christmas gift, my short game is a mess. I’m a high handicapper and don’t care what others think. I see it as no different than using a hybrid.
I can't make a comparison, since I've not even seen the Ping in the wild, but, I can endorse the Cleveland. I have the older version that I bought, then sold to a buddy, then bought back from him. I use it, I like it.

I can't make a comparison, since I've not even seen the Ping in the wild, but, I can endorse the Cleveland. I have the older version that I bought, then sold to a buddy, then bought back from him. I use it, I like it.
I understand that it comes in three different lofts, which one is the standard all purpose one?

I understand that it comes in three different lofts, which one is the standard all purpose one?
Looking at their website, the chipper is a 42 degree club, with the "C" designation. The other SS clubs look to be a gap wedge and a sand wedge.

The more I read/see about this club as a chipper, I’m starting to think that it may be the “skilled” chipper out of 3 types. This is way to much analysis but what the hell, here goes.

Standard Chipper-Odyssey X-Act. More traditional style chipper with some upgrades. 37 degree. Putter length. Ugly yes but very effective. Made for a true putting style chip. Target player is high handicap/beginners who need simplicity and reliability.
4023EB1D-1B5A-4560-AF35-162E770DE163.jpeg
Modern Mid Skilled Chipper-Cleveland Smart Sole C. More wedge like design with some versatility. 42 degree. Maintains most of the simplicity of a standard chipper but additional loft, grooves and design offer more options for mid level players. Target player is the mid handicap player who is inconsistent with high loft wedges overall and wants more reliability. (Me)
A86CE8D3-60D3-4395-8FE9-E69B3D3BB3FA.jpeg

Modern Higher Skilled Chipper-Ping ChipR. Much more iron/wedge design. Maintains some of the chipper simplicity but the design offers more options than any other chippers before it. 38.5 degree. Putter length. Wider sole than a standard iron but much less than the X-Act or C so it requires more precision than the other 2 design types. Target player-mid to lower handicap players who are solid with their higher lofted wedges but struggle with traditional bump and run shots with full 7,8,9 irons and have room in their bag for a go to club on those shots. (Kind of me)
49ECE5F2-765F-4540-BB35-EF4D2DF55EA4.jpeg

:)

Lol when I played in high school if it wasn't a flop shot I wasn't interested.

The more I read/see about this club as a chipper, I’m starting to think that it may be the “skilled” chipper out of 3 types. This is way to much analysis but what the hell, here goes.

Standard Chipper-Odyssey X-Act. More traditional style chipper with some upgrades. 37 degree. Putter length. Ugly yes but very effective. Made for a true putting style chip. Target player is high handicap/beginners who need simplicity and reliability.
View attachment 9104197
Modern Mid Skilled Chipper-Cleveland Smart Sole C. More wedge like design with some versatility. 42 degree. Maintains most of the simplicity of a standard chipper but additional loft, grooves and design offer more options for mid level players. Target player is the mid handicap player who is inconsistent with high loft wedges overall and wants more reliability. (Me)
View attachment 9104200

Modern Higher Skilled Chipper-Ping ChipR. Much more iron/wedge design. Maintains some of the chipper simplicity but the design offers more options than any other chippers before it. 38.5 degree. Putter length. Wider sole than a standard iron but much less than the X-Act or C so it requires more precision than the other 2 design types. Target player-mid to lower handicap players who are solid with their higher lofted wedges but struggle with traditional bump and run shots with full 7,8,9 irons and have room in their bag for a go to club on those shots. (Kind of me)
View attachment 9104201

Brilliantly written. Put yourself in for a nice bonus.

My skill level around the green is higher than my skill level off the tee, or on approach to the green, (I'd classify myself as a mid-cap there, but a high-cap in the other 2 phases) so the SmartSole C is the right one for me.

Lol when I played in high school if it wasn't a flop shot I wasn't interested.
You and every other HS golfer.

Until I take their SW and LW away from them. 🤣

I wanted a chipper for a while but didn't want to be laughed at for using one. This may not get any laughs.
I stopped caring what other people think of my equipment. I advise you to do the same.

I really like my chipper. I had a ball leak left about 30 yards off the green on a par 3 but had 2 trees in the way.
I managed to keep it under the trees and ended up 4' from the pin. It's just another tool in the tool box.

View attachment 9104197
View attachment 9104200

View attachment 9104201

Thank you for taking the time to explain this. I appreciate it!

View attachment 9104197
View attachment 9104200

View attachment 9104201

Thank you! . Based on that review, I just ordered a new Odyssey X-ACT to replace my old EZ-ROLL. Yes, that is a putter grip on the old chipper, but I have no aspirations to join the PGA, no matter how much they want me to play with them. I have no shame...
45aafb15837cf69238ec1ba43cd6e41c.jpg

Thank you! . Based on that review, I just ordered a new Odyssey X-ACT to replace my old EZ-ROLL. Yes, that is a putter grip on the old chipper, but I have no aspirations to join the PGA, no matter how much they want me to play with them. I have no shame...
45aafb15837cf69238ec1ba43cd6e41c.jpg

Wow. Am I like an influencer now? 🤣 Odyssey owes me a commission! Hope you enjoy it. 🙂

Cos i dont play proper golf it doesn`t matter, but 20 plus years ago i bought i chipper (instead of practicing for 12 hrs a day LOL) and i was ridiculed big time .
i dont care now i........................ got a wilson chipper

i was speechless when i saw this chipr on you tube with reviews and i had to chuckle to myself

they are on sale over here for approx £150

i have a question re types/style/gimmicky clubs .A chipper is a chipping rescue club imho ........................i read this ..................
" Hybrid golf clubs, also known as rescue clubs, are a combination of the best properties of a long iron and a fairway wood. "

So a chipper is a combi of an iron and a putter !!!!! ..............yes ???

I just wish they would have invented a driving rescue club
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

How can they possibly justify $200 for a chipper?
I know this is going to ruffle some feathers, but at this point OEMs are just clowning consumers with some of their pricing and as much as I like PING products, they’re leading the charge.
No better example than when they raised the pricing on the 410 series months AFTER the release of the 425’s.

As for club shaming, there's no video cam on the scorecard, nor does it ask what clubs you used. All that matters is a correctly-recorded score. Use whatever legal clubs allow you to post your lowest scores and that make the game enjoyable for you.

I currently use my 8 iron for most chips shots, but have used chippers in the past. I still have my Cleveland C and my Square Strike. There are definite differences between using an 8 iron vs. a chipper. When I do carry a chipper, I usually pull my LW to make room. Right now, I'm barely good enough with my LW to keep it in the bag. However, I've been considering replacing my 3 wood with a chipper since I've been hitting my 5 wood just as far and more consistently than my 3 wood. Decisions, decisions.

As someone much wiser than myself said recently, play and enjoy each round as if it's the last you'll ever play. We never know which round will be our last. Enjoy it ... it's a game.

Maybe a bit off topic, but the great thing about developing a good short game is you don't need to be young or athletic to do so...and having one is a real stroke saver.

Back