Tour Event 2022 Open Championship Contest and Thread Sponsored by Tour Edge

Thanks, I couldnt tell. I just knew it was a TSR. I think he may have a tsr 3 wood as well.
Currently it is a TSi2 3 wood at 15 degrees.

Reactions: JB
For the most part, I do not agree with the criticism of how Rory played. He entered Sunday with a four-shot lead(sans Hovland) and executed about 95% of a Tiger-esque game plan. It required something heroic to beat him, and Cam shot 30 (30!) On the back nine to do it.

I think there are two shots Rory can really be criticized for: the missed putt on nine and the second shot on fourteen. If he executes those two (which he needed to), then we are not having this conversation. And/or if he gets any of the well-struck putts he hit yesterday to drop, we aren't having this conversation. Again, save for two shots (nine and fourteen) Rory did what he was supposed to do. Cam just shot 30.

I know the coverage didnt show a lot of golfers, but was anybody not striping the ball off the tee? it seemed like nearly every golfer hit it past most bunkers and it was a putting contest.

Ya it became a putting contest. Rory led the field in driving and overall T2G. Cam led the field in putting. At the end of the day, when scores are low you have to make putts to win. And we all know how fickle putting can be. Sometimes they drop, sometimes they don't. Unfortunately for Rory it went south on just about the worst weekend imaginable.

For the most part, I do not agree with the criticism of how Rory played. He entered Sunday with a four-shot lead(sans Hovland) and executed about 95% of a Tiger-esque game plan. It required something heroic to beat him, and Cam shot 30 (30!) On the back nine to do it.

I think there are two shots Rory can really be criticized for: the missed putt on nine and the second shot on fourteen. If he executes those two (which he needed to), then we are not having this conversation. And/or if he gets any of the well-struck putts he hit yesterday to drop, we aren't having this conversation. Again, save for two shots (nine and fourteen) Rory did what he was supposed to do. Cam just shot 30.
Agreed he played the Sunday game plan to win. Cam just went nuts. I also think Viktor playing so badly had some effect too. If Rory would have played with Cam or Vilktor played better I think he plays a little more aggressive. I think Cam's run snuck up on Rory and he was caught off guard on the back nine.

Agreed he played the Sunday game plan to win. Cam just went nuts. I also think Viktor playing so badly had some effect too. If Rory would have played with Cam or Vilktor played better I think he plays a little more aggressive. I think Cam's run snuck up on Rory and he was caught off guard on the back nine.
I agree with that too. Definitely felt to me that the Rory-Viktor group couldn't get any momentum going, while the Cams seemed to be indirectly feeding off of each other/pushing each other on the back nine.

I agree with that too. Definitely felt to me that the Rory-Viktor group couldn't get any momentum going, while the Cams seemed to be indirectly feeding off of each other/pushing each other on the back nine.

Almost the opposite of what happened on the Saturday. Rory and Victor pushed each other. Rory only found one bunker all week and when he did he chipped in, possibly because Hovland was past him off the tee and a short chip / uphill putt to the flag. After Rory had chipped in for eagle, Hovland was calm enough to down his birdie putt.

He took a bit too conservative of a game plan. His only birdies came from two putting greens he drove. I get it, the playing partner who was the closest to you was struggling, so you thought you could coast. You forgot about the Tennessee Waterfall in front of you, and he absolutely should have adjusted that game plan a bit as Cam started reeling off birdies in a row. It's not like he didn't see a leaderboard along the walk and know Cam was making a charge.
I'm just here for things like "Tennessee Waterfall".

I agree. I think this is what really made Tiger separate from others. he seemed to be the only person I've ever watched that was completely unfazed by his playing partners or situation. The hardest piece to golf is mental, and how your playing partner is performing, while in theory shouldn't, can have an effect on you. Especially when going into it, you're 4 shots clear of everyone else and the one person you are not is struggling.

He took a bit too conservative of a game plan. His only birdies came from two putting greens he drove. I get it, the playing partner who was the closest to you was struggling, so you thought you could coast. You forgot about the Tennessee Waterfall in front of you, and he absolutely should have adjusted that game plan a bit as Cam started reeling off birdies in a row. It's not like he didn't see a leaderboard along the walk and know Cam was making a charge.
This happens in all sports though, right? It's hard to adjust once you've kinda gone in coast mode. Then once momentum swings and the other team starts going, it's really hard to get back into it. I'm never really a fan of playing it safe just because of this. Just keep doing what has been working.

If you look at his back 9 I think the only real strategy mistake was not missing long on 14. The rest was a couple mediocre approach shots and not making any putts.
He just reminded me of someone stuck in neutral or thinking the competition would falter for him :/

This happens in all sports though, right? It's hard to adjust once you've kinda gone in coast mode. Then once momentum swings and the other team starts going, it's really hard to get back into it. I'm never really a fan of playing it safe just because of this. Just keep doing what has been working.
Exactly

Agreed but I think if Cam would have got hot early it would have been different. The fact that it was the back 9 that he lit up at that point it's a don't do anything to lose this. Things could turn south quickly if he got too aggressive early. Regardless I think Cam won it and Rory didn't lose it. Sometimes someone just goes out and grabs a win and that's what happened.

Agreed but I think if Cam would have got hot early it would have been different. The fact that it was the back 9 that he lit up at that point it's a don't do anything to lose this. Things could turn south quickly if he got too aggressive early. Regardless I think Cam won it and Rory didn't lose it. Sometimes someone just goes out and grabs a win and that's what happened.
oh I absolutely agree. Cam went out and won the damn thing. It's not like Rory went out and shot 80, he went out and said I have a 4 shot lead, push it to 6ish and i should be good as long as Hovland doesn't catch fire. It just turned out the one thing it doesn't account for is what happened. I am sure Rory was looking more for 4 under, but he just didn't make the putts, which is not shocking. He's not a great putter.

Ya it became a putting contest. Rory led the field in driving and overall T2G. Cam led the field in putting. At the end of the day, when scores are low you have to make putts to win. And we all know how fickle putting can be. Sometimes they drop, sometimes they don't. Unfortunately for Rory it went south on just about the worst weekend imaginable.
It seemed like a putting contest? That course is too short for these players now. Maybe restrict their club selection or don't call this a major?

One other shot from Roy's round that I think has gotten lost in the shuffle was his approach on seven. It looked like he hit it perfect and it was going to take that slope down the right almost to the hole. Instead, it appeared to hit some sort of pitch mark and kicked unnaturally to the left off of a hill that was sloping to the right.

I know, breaks of the game, not everything will go your way. But I think that shot shouldn't be forgotten in the discussion of whether Rory took his foot off of the gas. My guess is he makes birdie 8 out of 10 times with the approach shot he struck on that hole, if he doesn't get that weird bounce.

Honestly this still seems wrong - in a perfect world Rory still the more skilled and accomplished golfer and the face of anti Saudi exhibition tour in bold media statements is hosting the cup…..

Honestly this still seems wrong - in a perfect world Rory still the more skilled and accomplished golfer and the face of anti Saudi exhibition tour in bold media statements is hosting the cup…..
But did you see Cam Smith’s putting prowess? DID YOU SEE IT?! He deserved to win and he did.

While you may feel that way, putting, not feelings, son the open. 😁

And this is what you did not see...

Go Rory win Masters 2023

Back