Returning this back to the conversation, I think that service mentioned by many is a unique one. Nobody needs to be fawned over, but a general level of appreciation for being there and enjoying their course can mean a lot.

I actually think that is not a "little thing" but something that every course should have.

After spending some time at the Dormie Club this week in North Carolina, I had a chance to talk with @jdtox and @Powder about how courses differentiate themselves. Be it while traveling to a special place or just your local facilities.

This is a separate conversation from course design and conditions, but rather the little details that make a good facility great or something that becomes memorable. What types of the little details make you take notice?

View attachment 9107239

Continue reading...
We have new ownership and they have done a lot in a short period of time. We have water on our first hole and adjacent hole. They got the fountains going which look nice. They also just put in a very nice clock by the first tee. I took the clock picture before the landscaping was finished. Its nice when you bring a guest these things stand out . I think first impressions make a difference in peoples perception of a Course along with the staff making you feel welcome.
D2862AEE-6497-474D-A1E2-0749A506659B.jpeg19CD245C-8FD2-41FB-A229-E5FA96DB89BE.jpeg

Things that really make a course standout:

• Free (quality) range balls with your greens fee
  • Carts in good shape, with GPS
  • Wet towels available for club wiping
  • Free water bottles/water to fill your bottle
  • Good looking swag for purchase
  • Good place for lunch/ post-round beverages
  • Well maintained courses (including cart path)
  • Available free tees if needed
  • Driving ranges with grass, not mats

Towels in the cart for each player. when there is a set of towels in the cart, I know I am at a class facility.

My second would be a starter who is not just sitting at the first tee and is actually starting from the range or putting green, or somewhere in that area. It shows that the course cares about making sure people go off at the correct time, and just shows overall course management and control.
I've never seen that! That would be great. Love when the cart has a cooler on the side, speakers and a charging port that actually works.

I have only been to a few "high end" places such as Whistling Straits. The little things like the balls out on the range are a great touch! But that first interaction with staff is so important and makes for a great start to the day. I love those branded ice cubes in the drinks and the other little things I would not think of but they do make a great impression on the golfers!

Love water and ice in the coolers on golf carts. Really appreciate when a towel is given for use as well. Maybe some tees in the cart.

Little things like having an engaging starter is nice too. A starter that is willing to give a course rundown etc.

yes, a tap of margaritas in the passenger seat of beer cart
I have seen that at some of the Courses we play on our annual Scottsdale Trip. LOL we don't refer to them as Beer Carts on our trip we call those Beer Trucks. IM not a Margarita drinker generally but they taste really good there. Took this picture out there.
86895043-1FDB-4B16-AFD7-89DF76894F17.jpeg

Returning this back to the conversation, I think that service mentioned by many is a unique one. Nobody needs to be fawned over, but a general level of appreciation for being there and enjoying their course can mean a lot.

I actually think that is not a "little thing" but something that every course should have.
When I moved to the course I'm at now, the first time I showed up to play a round, the head pro greeted me, knew my name, asked me how I was doing. After coming from a muni where I was a member for three years and the only people that new my name were a new pro shop employee and the folks that ran the restaurant, it was a good feeling to be welcomed so warmly.

yes, a tap of margaritas in the passenger seat of beer cart
I have seen that at some of the Courses we play on our annual Scottsdale Trip. LOL we don't refer to them as Beer Carts on our trip we call those Beer Trucks. IM not a Margarita drinker generally but they taste really good there. Took this picture out there.
View attachment 9107303
Man, my local places are really holding out on us! That's a sure fire way to get me buying

played Regatta Bay with my golf group this past May. There were 16 of us. Regatta included lunch in the green fee. Nothing fancy, but they had deli sandwiches, chips and drinks ready for us at the turn. Hop off the cart, drop in the clubhouse, use the facilities, grab your “to go” box and head to number 10. Really nice touch. Saved us time at the turn and kept our group on pace.

@Elmave - Are those beer taps on the back of that cart/truck. Have never seen that before.😍😍

Random things that make a place stand out are things I just never really knew I’d use/need.
The shoe cleaning service. Carts that have enough power to get me around the course. Water. A place to eat an actual meal or even just purchase a bag of chips. Hole layout is important. 3 minute drives to the next tee are annoying. Staff friendliness is cool but I can deal with quiet people that function at a high level.
The biggest stand out about a golf course for me is the flow of play. Pace can get out of control but consistency is really good from hole to hole.

To me there are a lot of little things many have been mentioned - but like the branding is great. It's super nice to see some tee pegs with the course name on them in the cart. Bottled water throughout the course, already on ice - same with towels.

Everything working in the carts - gps, chargers, cart itself etc

One that I didn't really see mentioned is the restroom situation - making sure that it's reasonably comfortable for the small amount of time you are in there, in Arkansas the country club had AC units in the one bathroom we stopped at, which was on full blast so it was like 30 degree's cooler than the outside sun.

Speaking of Arkansas - they had 2 or 3 water/ice machines on the course as well just like a fountain stop that you could refill. The worse course we played at had like 4 oz cups, the country club had these big 16-20oz cups at each stand so it was easy to fill one up and put it in a cup holder.

So comfortable restroom situation and good cups if you're not giving out bottles are two small things that we made mention of on a recent trip.

I don't know if this is in the same boat - but having both level and accurate tee boxes. My watch said 131 to middle of green the rangefinder said like 134 to pin and there was a sign that said it was 157 to center like 3 yards back, just not accurate at all. It was like they moved either the tee box or the green and just didn't update the signage to go with it.

Now that I'm thinking, another small thing would be mixed tee sets that were pre-established or combo sets. Giving you more options when playing than just the standard 3-4 etc.

Im a huge fan of having water available in the cooler or someone offering it. That is definitely a little thing that goes a very long way.
The couple of Discovery Land Company courses I have played when you get done on 18 someone is there to greet you with a cool towel and a shot of tequila.

Good greens and fringes. The rest of the course can be a dumpster fire and make up for it with good greens and surrounds. I appreciate a small trinket such as custom tees or ball mark repair tool. The best one to date was the one received at The Hideaway. I also really appreciate if there is bottled water provided or water filling stations available.

As many have said it’s just the little things. A few bottles of cold water in the cart and some coolers on the course. Towels in the carts. A well kept range and a putting green that is the same speed as the course. A friendly staff is a huge deal especially at bucket list type courses. When it’s a resort and people are for staying on property and rarely leaving, good food and a spa /massage is a must.

As many have said it’s just the little things. A few bottles of cold water in the cart and some coolers on the course. Towels in the carts. A well kept range and a putting green that is the same speed as the course. A friendly staff is a huge deal especially at bucket list type courses. When it’s a resort and people are for staying on property and rarely leaving, good food and a spa /massage is a must.
There was no spa at Dormie and I'm ok with that, though I guess if there was at least a massage option, it would get used plenty. Can't see too many guys getting facials :ROFLMAO:

Driving range tee that looks like a fairway at Augusta National and not a moon crater. With target flags….. target greens even better. It’s not hard to do, promise.

A lot of the things already mentioned are big pluses - friendly staff, prompt service, logo'ed items, water, cold towels, etc. What I don't like, and will really turn me off about a course, is being hit for money every time you turn around. Service is good, but it can go too far, too - being expected to tip the valet, the starter, the guy in the bathroom who hands you a towel, the guy who hands you a bottle of water, the guy who puts ice in your cooler, the guy who brings you your cart, the guy who wipes down your clubs, etc. All of that can nearly double the cost of a round by the time you're through. I'm not a tightass, I'm usually a very generous tipper, but it gets old when everybody you come in contact with has their hand out.

Last edited:
Getting into a cart loaded with tees is always a nice touch, doesn't matter if they're branded or not.

That's expected at country clubs or resorts, but around here it's probably 50-50 for munis. Any muni that spends the 25 cents to do it slides onto the "nice" half of the ledger for me.

I have a huge list, but something as simple as a clock within view of the range. There's nothing worse than getting out onto the range and losing track of time only to have the starter come rolling across the range shouting for the Dixon group because "you guys were supposed to be at the first tee 10 minutes ago"

It honestly starts at the bag drop: a warm welcome, taking the clubs and loading them on a cart. Directions to the pro shop. Directions to the range. Water. Towels. Tees. A friendly starter who tells you a little bit about the course. Balls already on the range. A good putting green.

For the lodging options the Dormie setup is top notch. Everything stocked and I'm sure if there was something else you wanted they would do everything in their power to get it for you. The cigar setup on the patio seems simple, but it goes such a long way.

Just the whole premise that once you arrive on property there is no reason that you should have to leave, or feel that you neglected to bring something.

Back