Cleveland Launcher XL Halo Irons

I am so glad I decided to give my Halos a second chance. I do not see myself changing them out anytime soon. As a matter of fact, the only club I struggle with is my sand wedge, so I may change that out for a Cleveland Smartsole 4 some day.

79.5 years old. Just revisited my Altitude 588’s. 4i-9i followed by four 588 raw wedges(45*, 51*, 56*, 60*). The older I get the more I enjoy this set. Shot a fairly honest 42 for 9 holes from senior tees yesterday. But I am still curious if senior golfers who have played the Altitudes and Halo Xl have seen a noticeable difference. Thank you.
I believe @erock9174 can answer this. Sr golfer here. I played the HB3's and find the XL Halo's to be lighter with a more flexed shaft. The HB3's want to hook, where the Halo XL's want to go straight and they have more forgiveness. I think a lot comes down to the flex you choose and your personal preference. HB Turbos, prior gen is an excellent choice too.

I am so glad I decided to give my Halos a second chance. I do not see myself changing them out anytime soon. As a matter of fact, the only club I struggle with is my sand wedge, so I may change that out for a Cleveland Smartsole 4 some day.

It took me nearly a year to get used to them. Now, I am not changing either.

79.5 years old. Just revisited my Altitude 588’s. 4i-9i followed by four 588 raw wedges(45*, 51*, 56*, 60*). The older I get the more I enjoy this set. Shot a fairly honest 42 for 9 holes from senior tees yesterday. But I am still curious if senior golfers who have played the Altitudes and Halo Xl have seen a noticeable difference. Thank you.

I’m not currently gaming altitudes but I keep a set around when my swing is off the rails. Usually early season. They are the stock R flex steel shafts.

Anyhow, briefly owned the Halos earlier this year. Also with the stock steel shafts in Reg. For me both sets played similarly. I think it boiled down to looks as the Halo's have a slightly longer blade length and overall head size. I believe Cleveland said they were around 10-12% larger than any of their predecers. Don't quote me on that though.
Also what stood out to be was the set wedge size. I didn't think the Altitude wedges were all that large looking but the Halo wedges look very large. So to my eye the Altitudes looked a little more progressive size wise.

As for numbers I got you. Limited set. I was hitting the ball pretty well that day and hit 5 in with each club. If need to remove a ball (poor swing I took one out).
Maybe a hair more ball speed out of the Halos but really not much in them.

Here were the numbers:

1658967963602.png
1658967983162.png
1658968001527.png
1658968011845.png
1658968033982.png
1658968045728.png

1658968060433.png

Halo Dispersion Chart
1658967693103.png

Altitude Dispersion Chart
1658967734664.png

For whatever reason I didn't seem to get a good gapping between the Altitude 6 and 7 irons during that session. The 7i seemed to go longer on the monitor than in real life. I usually allocate 140 for the 7i carry and 150 for a 6i no matter what iron set I play and typically have no issues with gapping there. The Halos did gap off nicely that day on the monitor.

I’m not currently gaming altitudes but I keep a set around when my swing is off the rails. Usually early season. They are the stock R flex steel shafts.

Anyhow, briefly owned the Halos earlier this year. Also with the stock steel shafts in Reg. For me both sets played similarly. I think it boiled down to looks as the Halo's have a slightly longer blade length and overall head size. I believe Cleveland said they were around 10-12% larger than any of their predecers. Don't quote me on that though.
Also what stood out to be was the set wedge size. I didn't think the Altitude wedges were all that large looking but the Halo wedges look very large. So to my eye the Altitudes looked a little more progressive size wise.

As for numbers I got you. Limited set. I was hitting the ball pretty well that day and hit 5 in with each club. If need to remove a ball (poor swing I took one out).
Maybe a hair more ball speed out of the Halos but really not much in them.

Here were the numbers:

View attachment 9107462
View attachment 9107463
View attachment 9107465
View attachment 9107466
View attachment 9107469
View attachment 9107470

View attachment 9107471

Halo Dispersion Chart
View attachment 9107457

Altitude Dispersion Chart
View attachment 9107458

For whatever reason I didn't seem to get a good gapping between the Altitude 6 and 7 irons during that session. The 7i seemed to go longer on the monitor than in real life. I usually allocate 140 for the 7i carry and 150 for a 6i no matter what iron set I play and typically have no issues with gapping there. The Halos did gap off nicely that day on the monitor.

Thanks for your effort and info. I find dispersion and distance and gapping pretty good with stock senior shaft graphite Altitudes. Probably because they allow me to swing with better control, tempo etc thanks again.

Is anyone playing these with a fast swing speed? Like 115mph driver, 260m av carry speed?
I'm fairly fit, fairly strong, just don't have time to practice as much as I should.
Currently play uhx with 120 stiff shafts. Just worried if I go to these they will 1.be to soft, and 2. Pull left like most hybrids iv tried.

Yes sir...I'll PM you vs derailing this thread

I’m considering going to the Halos from i210s also, keen to hear your thoughts on how you found the Halos compared to the i210s

hybrids have a tendency to hook as they are very upright - the halo hybrid irons are not as upright

hybrids have a tendency to hook as they are very upright - the halo hybrid irons are not as upright
And the mentioned soft shaft? Iv been seeing that mentioned a lot reading back through the thread but might just apply to the senior and r flex. Might see if the fitters can still order custom. Being in Australia we are a bit limited.

And the mentioned soft shaft? Iv been seeing that mentioned a lot reading back through the thread but might just apply to the senior and r flex. Might see if the fitters can still order custom. Being in Australia we are a bit limited.

correct, the shaft is very soft, I'd recommend a fitting or demo one to get it right. Adding, length, they are more upright. Also, consider the hywood and 4 hybrid.

correct, the shaft is very soft, I'd recommend a fitting or demo one to get it right. Adding, length, they are more upright. Also, consider the hywood and 4 hybrid.
I'm happy with my speedzones. It's just irons I struggle with, and really can't find the time to learn.

I have the Project X Cypher sixty 5.5R in my Halo irons - just switched from stiff steel to R graphite 4 years ago when I turned 65 - driver ss is 98 to 102 - certainly wouldn't call this Cypher shaft very soft

I’m considering going to the Halos from i210s also, keen to hear your thoughts on how you found the Halos compared to the i210s
I don't have the i210's, I have the i200s but from my testing are pretty comparable.

The i200's and Halos are very different beasts. i200 is your pretty common players type cavity back with some perimeter weighting and bounce to help one out a bit).
I like the i200/210 because they launch high with plenty of spin and are workable.

The Halo's are going to be a much larger head, hollow body hybrid style iron with a thicker topline. Aimed at getting the ball up in the air and will be pretty long too loft for loft as they will likely be lower spinning than most cavity back irons.

Both have similar offset though (not crazy like some GI/SGI irons).

Based on how I measure, the 7i heads are as followed:

i210
Blade length (from bend in the hosel to the outer edge) - 2 7/8"
Sole width - 7/8"
Toe height - 2 1/8"

Halo
Blade length- 3 3/16"
Sole width - 1 1/2"
Toe height - 2"

Altitude:
Blade length- 3"
Sole width - 1 1/2"
Toe height - 1 15/16"

So as you can see the Halo blade length wise is about 1/4" longer, which is going to be very noticable.
Sole width on th Halo is slightly over 1/2" wider.
Toe height similar.

I got rid of the Halos, but still have the Altitudes and i200. Here are some pics of the 7i. And to note, the Halo is an even larger of a head than the Altitude is. So looks wise they will be very different.

67057F3E-1FCB-448E-91DE-248ECC9FAEE2.jpeg17405BA9-0EAB-4329-8A35-205283890838.jpeg58A9014D-B13F-48DF-BDFA-6B24EB954EA8.jpeg01318EB4-32FD-461B-BB9C-3054CB4DEAD0.jpeg

@SundayHack - also forgot to mention, my i200s are powered spec'd so the 6i is 28*. The Halo 6i is 26.5, If you're i210's are std lofts, the 6i is 29.5. So I'd expect the Halos to be about a club longer just due to the loft. The i200/210s were not really built with distance in mine. They are more for accuracy and control.

When I get out of my own way, these irons perform so well. One case were less is more.

as they will likely be lower spinning than most cavity back irons.

This isn’t true. TXG’s review on YouTube dispels this myth. See below. We don’t know how the wedges compare, but the results here are pretty eye opening.

Attachments

• DC9171E7-09AB-4E01-AC22-0BA82FABE40F.jpeg
    DC9171E7-09AB-4E01-AC22-0BA82FABE40F.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 727847B2-F288-49F3-ACA2-C1F859F84CEB.jpeg
    727847B2-F288-49F3-ACA2-C1F859F84CEB.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 18
This isn’t true. TXG’s review on YouTube dispels this myth. See below. We don’t know how the wedges compare, but the results here are pretty eye opening.

^This. The Halo irons will generally launch higher and spin more than any traditional iron. The lower and farther back weighting will ensure this, just like a true hybrid vs iron. Pretty much every comparison review test showed this.

The original question was posed to me how the i210's would compare to the Halos. The i200/210 were noted for being higher spinning irons so my comments were directed towards those compared to the Halos/Altitude irons. When I tested the i200's vs Halo they both spun at 5200 but my i200's are 2* stronger than normal. So at std specs the i200s would be a little higher spinning than the Halos I had. I was under the assumption that the person asking me the question had std lofts in his i210s. I do agree though that the Halos have a healthy amount of spin for the design.

I don't have the i210's, I have the i200s but from my testing are pretty comparable.

The i200's and Halos are very different beasts. i200 is your pretty common players type cavity back with some perimeter weighting and bounce to help one out a bit).
I like the i200/210 because they launch high with plenty of spin and are workable.

The Halo's are going to be a much larger head, hollow body hybrid style iron with a thicker topline. Aimed at getting the ball up in the air and will be pretty long too loft for loft as they will likely be lower spinning than most cavity back irons.

Both have similar offset though (not crazy like some GI/SGI irons).

Based on how I measure, the 7i heads are as followed:

i210
Blade length (from bend in the hosel to the outer edge) - 2 7/8"
Sole width - 7/8"
Toe height - 2 1/8"

Halo
Blade length- 3 3/16"
Sole width - 1 1/2"
Toe height - 2"

Altitude:
Blade length- 3"
Sole width - 1 1/2"
Toe height - 1 15/16"

So as you can see the Halo blade length wise is about 1/4" longer, which is going to be very noticable.
Sole width on th Halo is slightly over 1/2" wider.
Toe height similar.

I got rid of the Halos, but still have the Altitudes and i200. Here are some pics of the 7i. And to note, the Halo is an even larger of a head than the Altitude is. So looks wise they will be very different.

View attachment 9112532View attachment 9112533View attachment 9112534View attachment 9112535

Thanks for that great response, much appreciated. I have managed to get out and hit both and found my i210s launched just as high and weren't too much shorter maybe half a club? one thing where the i210s win hands down is feel (to be expected).

So I have 3 rounds in with my Halo hybrid irons and they perform perfect for my game. The only caveat is the black finish on top is already chipping off from bag chatter, no way I'm putting headcovers on these as it will clutter the bag to much.

I understand the black is to make it look smaller but they should've realized it was gonna chip away and make it a eye sore.

Anyone have a solution to the black chipping away? I was thinking of just removing somehow all of it myself.

So I have 3 rounds in with my Halo hybrid irons and they perform perfect for my game. The only caveat is the black finish on top is already chipping off from bag chatter, no way I'm putting headcovers on these as it will clutter the bag to much.

I understand the black is to make it look smaller but they should've realized it was gonna chip away and make it a eye sore.

Anyone have a solution to the black chipping away? I was thinking of just removing somehow all of it myself.
This has been a pet peeve of mine with the Cleveland hybrid style irons over the years.

I have the altitudes in my spare bag and in my humble opinion was the most resilient cavity finish Cleveland used on that line. The black almost seemed baked on or powder coated. Sure it marked up a bit (think matte crown drivers) but never chipped.

Then came the Launchers HBs and Turbos with satin paint that chipped away very easily. The halos when I had them briefly seemed to be more like the altitude finish but perhaps not it you are sating it’s chipping already. The set I had came with covers and I used them while testing to protect the resale value.

I found the same issue with my Cobra trails. I’m meticulous with my clubs and these looked horrible after a season of use. Sold thembecause of it.
Now I’m rocking g425s which will look the same as they do 10 years from now.

Last edited:
Back