Tour Edge Exotics Wingman 700 Series Putters

Just some rolls in the living room. I like the sound and feel. Feels like a slightly firmer insert, a good balance between the White Hot insert I have been using and firmer insert like what Taylormade uses. I am not sure the grooves on the insert do anything, they are rather shallow, but they look nice. The sound is pleasant. No twang. Good "thunk".

@blugold @jbuck31 curious what the shipping method was...I have gotten notifications previously for their shipments.

Maybe this will be a surprise on my doorstep when I get home today 🤷‍♂️

I look forward to giving this one a go. The firmer insert sounds like a win in my book...I'm not a huge fan of the super soft putter inserts

First impressions...have not hit a ball yet, just took a picture with the THP logo ball

Weight feels very good to me (coming from a blade). Just swinging putts not hitting a ball.

The size of the 706 is small...wow I would not call this a mid-mallet. It is a small mid-mallet. I can't compare it to other mallets, but the blade length (?) is shorter than maybe every other putter I have in my house. I think I have 6 now including the 706.

Headcover... magnetic...win 👍. Fits snug on the putter. Not complaining at all there.

Just for fun, I tried to scoop the ball with the back wings...while the ball doesn't fit between them for an easy pickup, you can rake a ball back and lift it up with the back of the putter. I know that's a big ask on a putter 😀

Just some rolls in the living room. I like the sound and feel. Feels like a slightly firmer insert, a good balance between the White Hot insert I have been using and firmer insert like what Taylormade uses. I am not sure the grooves on the insert do anything, they are rather shallow, but they look nice. The sound is pleasant. No twang. Good "thunk".
Agreed the grooves are rather shallow

20220728_183701.jpg

I went with the standard lie angle which is slightly more upright than my usual, just 1°, and usually play an Anser 2 shape. So, getting the lines to match up was a mind trick.
I see what you are saying about the lines. I’m having a time getting everything to line up correctly, which says a lot about my setup I suppose. Felt like I had to get it really upright to get lined up.

The lock on technology is going to be interesting on the course. I’ve rolled it the putting matt and it rolls well—very consistent and comes off at a good speed.

And as @The Dave has said, the 706 is very compact.

Some photos of the lock on being line up versus not. B87F2D07-847C-423A-AE34-99B23A402856.jpeg0CA9119A-354D-4490-8474-E83310C476C2.jpeg0B581CB0-C2DA-4D4A-9D18-33981E8B0B5F.jpeg19ACE238-080C-4AF0-960A-41483A1F1653.jpeg

I was excited to be able to put the model 706 in play tonight.

Initial impressions, the fit and finish were top quality. The mid-mallet head was more compact than I expected. Not a bad thing, I was just expecting it to be a little larger. With my preference being a blade, this size of the model 706 was not a distraction by any means. The weight felt great, allowed for a smooth pendulum stroke.
I’m used to playing a milled face putter so I wasn’t sure how I would adjust to the insert. Well, the firm feel of the insert was a little different than what I’m used to, but overall it had a solid feel to it. The sound was a slightly muted “click”. I felt comfortable with the overall sound and felt it was easy to adjust to.
The lock on technology took me a couple holes to adjust to , but once I did, I felt confident over the ball. And alignment felt very natural.
My grip preference is a Super Stroke mid-slim 2.0, it just feels right and helps to keep my wrists stable. That being said, the Sink-fit grip that comes on the wingman felt great. The contoured shape and overall feel was very natural. There was no adjustment period needed. The shape allowed the hands to fit naturally.
Distance control was not off by much, a couple more rounds (or some putting green practice) and I think it should get dialed in.
To say the least, I am pleasantly surprised overall and look forward to the next round.

Digging the early impressions. Seeing the 706 next to a ball was pretty surprising...Didn't expect the size or that I'd like it as much as I do. Looks really good to me. I dig the silver and black. Look forward to hearing more!

Digging the early impressions. Seeing the 706 next to a ball was pretty surprising...Didn't expect the size or that I'd like it as much as I do. Looks really good to me. I dig the silver and black. Look forward to hearing more!
Kind of shocking, huh?

Not going to lie, because I'm fancy, I don't love the chrome shaft. This thing would be an absolute knockout with a black shaft. In fact, I might see if a graphite shaft would fit.

I see what you are saying about the lines. I’m having a time getting everything to line up correctly, which says a lot about my setup I suppose. Felt like I had to get it really upright to get lined up.

The lock on technology is going to be interesting on the course. I’ve rolled it the putting matt and it rolls well—very consistent and comes off at a good speed.

And as @The Dave has said, the 706 is very compact.

Some photos of the lock on being line up versus not. View attachment 9107700View attachment 9107701View attachment 9107702View attachment 9107703
I was just playing around with it in my living room and feeling like the toe was up made the line straight, but if I wanted the putter flat, it felt like I was way over. I'm sure this is bringing to light a major issue that I have just dealt with.

Not going to lie, because I'm fancy, I don't love the chrome shaft. This thing would be an absolute knockout with a black shaft. In fact, I might see if a graphite shaft would fit.
Totally get that. I'm partial to black shafts in my clubs in general. That would look pretty sweet with the black in the club head as it is. Oooh, a graphite shaft would be fancy.

I was just playing around with it in my living room and feeling like the toe was up made the line straight, but if I wanted the putter flat, it felt like I was way over. I'm sure this is bringing to light a major issue that I have just dealt with.
That’s exactly what I am seeing. I have to heel almost lifted off the ground to get it lined up.

@checkered Swag Handsome Too vs the 706
2BB9D8FE-CEF3-43B3-844C-6CA18E37A9EC.jpeg

I think getting the lie angle correct on this putter is key for how you set up your putts or else it'll throw that lock on technology alignment off and play mind games with you...at least it will for me

That’s exactly what I am seeing. I have to heel almost lifted off the ground to get it lined up.

@checkered Swag Handsome Too vs the 706
View attachment 9107711
In my head before seeing the 706 I would have said the blade putter was rather small...the 706 makes the Handsome Too look like a giant blade length putter

I think getting the lie angle correct on this putter is key for how you set up your putts or else it'll throw that lock on technology alignment off and play mind games with you...at least it will for me
Without a doubt. I went with the standard lie to see if they were on point having their standard being more upright than everybody else's standard.

Without a doubt. I went with the standard lie to see if they were on point having their standard being more upright than everybody else's standard.
I went with the lie angle of my other putters and I think the more upright is the way to go honestly. When I set it up "normal" to my eye the alignment is off ever so slightly

More subjective thoughts on this putter... have not hit a putt yet

Lock on alignment tech either identifies a flaw in set up or greatly helps with alignment. I really like the two tone color (silver/black) that focuses your eye on the alignment. I think the lock on tech will really work and help my setup.

Bottom of the putter color scheme with the carbon plate looks really cool. Still not sure why it's orange when all their other Exotics clubs seem to be red/black (excluding the EXS/EXS Pro launch which had blue🤔). I like the red/black better, but the orange stands out as different from most other brands. Seem a lot like to use red 🤷‍♂️.

The mid mallet look is growing on me some. It wouldn’t have been my first pick, initially.

oh wow, that is shockingly small. 🤯
Yeah, it's wild.

I think I am going to see about having the putter bent a little more upright. I may be hiding a flaw doing this, but having a problem getting things lined up properly.

After a handful of, few dozen maybe, carpet putts today, I think I'm going to really like the putter. I'll cut right to the chase, the sound...

The original Wingman had an interesting sound from what I've read...this one is not that. It is similar to my other putters with sound, Cobra Widesport, SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange, Toulon Columbus. I will say the others are a touch more muted but similar dull thud/thwack sound. I did have an odd sounding plastic clicky sound on a few putts, so I was determined to figure out why it was so audibly different. On the 706, if you hit the ball at where the hosel meets the club head or closer to the end by the golfer (right side when looking face on at the putter) the sound is a loud click (very plastic sounding). Such an audible change you'll know you miss hit the putt, but I didn't see any real change in distance on 10ft putts.

The lock on alignment is money. Might be one of the best alignment aids I've seen. I'll still say SeeMore has the best with their rifle scope tech, but this one also makes it very easy to align the putt correctly.

I also might like this putter grip (Lamkin Sink Fit Pistol) better than the Super Stroke putter grips I've gamed for years. Their Fingerprint Technology give the grip a good feel to me (but that's not for a Tour Edge review).

The lie angle is important I feel with the 706 but maybe not a huge deal breaker if it's wrong. The standard lie angle is a touch more upright than most other putter brands and that is probably correct/ideal for this style. I went with a 70° lie angle and feel like I need to angle the putter more upright ever so slightly to align the "lock on alignment". Not enough for me to need to change the lie angle.

The putter puts a very good roll on the ball, can't wait to get it on the course. Coming from a blade, I don't think the adjustment period will be too long for this "mini" mid mallet putter. Weighting felt similar enough to me to the blade style that it was an easy practice session.

Back