Brand Story: The Origins of SST PURE

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The story of SST PURE brings up a number of thoughts and feelings ranging from incredibly innovative to not necessary and everything in between. Despite the plight, getting from origin to present is about as interesting as anything we have covered in the series. To understand where they are now, let’s go back to a few decades and meet Dick Weiss.

Continue reading...

Great write up. There is always so much to learn about in these brand stories. Especially when things happen almost and kind of but not really by accident and create changes within an industry.

Thanks for sharing.

I've only had one shaft PUREd before. It was marked where it was pured in relation to the logo, which it ended up being not close ... the logo was then facing the target side. But I aligned the cog where I wanted it during the assembly process. I was hoping for this magic fix but .... as with all of my experiments, I didn't get the results I was looking for. Didn't see any real difference to be honest.

• Admin
Especially when things happen almost and kind of but not really by accident and create changes within an industry.
That was a very fun part of the story to learn.

This was interesting. I always wonder how relevant things like this are to inconsistent and/or bad amateur swings, but there are many people that don’t fall in that category.

One parallel I can think of that could be a future place to grow is from the guitar industry. There is a machine called PLEK that uses an automated program to detect inconsistencies in the instrument and make necessary changes to offer the best playability. It used to be almost exclusively an aftermarket process you paid for. Some manufacturers and retailers ended up buying the machines and incorporating their use pre-purchase. For retailers it was an upsell opportunity and for manufacturers it was the chance to add value and (the appearance of) premium quality to their products.

Reactions: JB
What a great read. I have always heard PUR'ing isn't necessary and doesn't do anything but this makes it seem otherwise. I'm not sure how much the effect will have but I would much rather see the OEM do this during the manufacturing process when applying graphics instead of being an after thought

I think this is an awesome story and great idea for high level players. I don't think I would receive any benefit from the process.

Love the history of some of these developments. I wonder why (or if) the OEMs can't or don't just include this on the off the shelf products - it seems shafts can be PUREed in batches and set aside for installation?

Also, I seem to recall many shafts I have purchased new in the past (Aldila NV comes to mind) that had/have a mark on the butt end of the shaft a line - always wondered if that was from some kind of PUREing or from manufacture.

Anyway the article made me think about this stuff - so thanks for that JB!

Very fun read. I always enjoy learning more about golf companies. SST PUReing has always felt unnecessary to me. But, maybe I am wrong.. If Tiger wants it done, either he is just superstitious or knows something I dont..

Pretty cool read on how a fundamental idea driven by hands on experience turned into such a new take on shaft / club builds.

Really good read here, I have heard of SST puring for years, just never had it done for my self

I love these stories. It's been hard for me to wrap my head around the PUREing process. The story explains in a way I can understand it.

Any idea what % of builds that the OEMS or Club Champion do that are PUREd?

I agree with @jdtox that it would be better if the shaft manufacturers did this before applying the graphics but I'm not sure it would be worthwhile for them to interrupt the process like that.

I have a few friends who've had it done. Some believe in it, others believe it's hogwash. I've read the same things on the forum. I suppose if you believe it, it works.

I was lucky to come across a driver shaft that had been PUREd that a friend was getting rid of. I don't know if it was mind games knowing it had been through this process or if it was just coincidence but I hit that shaft better than any I'd had before. It's nice to see the process behind it all and it just reiterates that there are some really smart people in this game.

Any idea what % of builds that the OEMS or Club Champion do that are PUREd?

I honestly do not, but can do some checking.

Another great brand story thanks for sharing that @JB. It seems to make total sense of why SST PURE would be needed but i have not tried it. I think @jdtox hit the nail on the head. OEM's should just do it and then build the cost into the price of the shaft.

Never had anything Pure'd or even completely understood what it was until I read the article. Cool idea, not sure how much benefit there is if any at all but if the pros do it there must be some benefit to them.

Man i love these brand stories. This was excellent and a great read. Never realized PURE stood for something else, not just the word pure. Trippy.

Interesting history and story to how it all started. I know a lot of people swear by this, but i always wonder how much it truly affects things for the average golfer. It is remarkable the traction they have gotten, and some of the nanes that PURE their shafts.

Thanks again for doing these. Love it!!

That was a great read, and a fascinating story. I had a shaft that was pured and for some reason it always did better than the same version that wasn't. Was it a placebo? Possibly, possibly not...however the major downside for me is for the majority of cases if you want to adjust the loft it stops it being effective. As a serial tinkerer it would not be suitable for me a lot of the time!

I love the backstory here. This has always been an interesting product to me.

Love these. I'll be honest, I did not know PURE was an acronym lol. Kind of crazy that one guy secured a patent a decade earlier and didn't really do anything with it, and then Weiss stumbles into the issue, buys the patent and builds everything SST PURE is. That's awesome. I wonder if any testing has been done on the latest equipment to see how much distance an average person may gain from a PUREd shaft vs it in its worst position.

I did go and watch the video from last year of the process and was kind of shocked at the variance shown in the charts on the machine.

I did go and watch the video from last year of the process and was kind of shocked at the variance shown in the charts on the machine.

This was where it got intriguing for me. Not because I believe having this done changes the dynamic of the game giving me slews of more distance or consistency, but watching a random shaft, that I happen to grab out of the box, come up so differently than others means "why not".

I just wished they shared what the actual measurements or scale on the chart is.

Makes it real hard for me to get behind this at all.

This was where it got intriguing for me. Not because I believe having this done changes the dynamic of the game giving me slews of more distance or consistency, but watching a random shaft, that I happen to grab out of the box, come up so differently than others means "why not".
I think for irons is where this would really make difference. If you're expecting them all to feel exactly the same and there is some variation amongst the set it matters.

What is the thinking behind picking the stiffest part of the shaft to orient the shaft?

I just wished they shared what the actual measurements or scale on the chart is.

Makes it real hard for me to get behind this at all.
Yeah that's a fair point

What is the thinking behind picking the stiffest part of the shaft to orient the shaft?
Consistency. It is done in Archery for example to make sure every one is consistent.

Back