Off Course: Ranking the Four Majors

Cam Smith played the most amazing major 9 holes maybe ever. Tigers back 9 at Augusta in 1997 maybe the only competition.

distance.. here is my feeling. I don’t care. Do we need to protect par? Also, golf is better at all locations, courses, and levels, if the course is firmer. Greens need to hold shots but fairways should be firm and fast. It’s just better. We just have to stop caring about some arbitrary number like par..
Yep, I am good with firm and fast... but you can't protect the length of a golf course with 100+ yards of roll. Can't have both haha

I rank Gary Player the 4th best South African golfer ever! Of course I can only name four…..

What about Henrik and Phil dueling it out?

oh.. That was an AMAZINGLY fun round to watch. They were both dialed. But, As far as a player absolutely combusting into a flaming monster on the course? It's Cam Smith or Tiger. Especially when on the front It looked as though he didn't really have it.. I mean, look at this card!!

1659100319113.png

Yep, I am good with firm and fast... but you can't protect the length of a golf course with 100+ yards of roll. Can't have both haha

I agree. But I think firm and fast is why Cameron Smith won. If it was soft, I am not sure he does. Firm and fast also makes the distance differences between the longest players and the shortest players less significant.

oh.. That was an AMAZINGLY fun round to watch. They were both dialed. But, As far as a player absolutely combusting into a flaming monster on the course? It's Cam Smith or Tiger. Especially when on the front It looked as though he didn't really have it.. I mean, look at this card!!

View attachment 9107740
What i find most interesting about Cam's Open this year is not just his scorching Sunday round, but feedback early in the tournament that he'd lost his putter out there.

Seems like he found it just fine hahaha

What i find most interesting about Cam's Open this year is not just his scorching Sunday round, but feedback early in the tournament that he'd lost his putter out there.

Seems like he found it just fine hahaha

lol!!!

Thursday was a bit of a lackluster putting day. But maybe the putters was just resting for the sprint on Sunday. I mean, at some point you have to take a break from making everything from 35 feet and in... lol

From a personal experience, I haven’t been to The Open or the PGA but ive been to rest with 3 times to the Masters and 2 US Opens. The Masters in person is just a better run event. The US Open is hit a miss with course prep.
1. Masters
2. US Open
3. The Open ( could be #2 depending on the course)
4. PGA

View attachment 9107740
Hard to argue with the 30, the irony being Stenson shot the same thing at -8 to go to -20 for the tournament to win.

Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 9.26.20 AM.png

Spicy Dan this week. :LOL: love it!
Man, I had to stop myself at one point... I am just SOOO frustrated that we can't appreciate these guys for what they did, and have to focus on what they are currently doing.

@Canadan listening now...
2018 US Open at Shinnecock when Lefty hit the putt that was still moving

"Two dudes with mullets..." :ROFLMAO:

"Two dudes with mullets..." :ROFLMAO:
That and the discussion of the launch monitor are the 2 things that immediately stuck with me. The LMs have allowed an optimization of a player's clubs (and the balls played) that is hard to comprehend.

Softening the fairways is a great idea and, when you add a bit of rain to it, sure to create much consternation and teeth-gnashing from mudballs. Bring it on. (on tour).

@Jman made a good comment that these guys are trying to protect their legacy with all this equipment talk. Then @Canadan made a comment that he's more or less assessing them on their current perspectives. So do you think in trying to protect their legacy they're actually tarnishing it a little in some people's minds?

@Jman made a good comment that these guys are trying to protect their legacy with all this equipment talk. Then @Canadan made a comment that he's more or less assessing them on their current perspectives. So do you think in trying to protect their legacy they're actually tarnishing it a little in some people's minds?
Yeah, maybe not so much for older generations, but here's how I see it... Guys like Player - outside of in a book, their relevancy for me has been in their post PGA careers, so all I get to digest is their present perspectives. It's a lot harder to appreciate guys like that and what they accomplished in their time when they are busy crusading against the current landscape of the game. (or ******** on the Masters because they banned his Son)

Yeah, maybe not so much for older generations, but here's how I see it... Guys like Player - outside of in a book, their relevancy for me has been in their post PGA careers, so all I get to digest is their present perspectives. It's a lot harder to appreciate guys like that and what they accomplished in their time when they are busy crusading against the current landscape of the game. (or ******** on the Masters because they banned his Son)
Yeah solid point. Outside of Nicholas I don't think I've seen probably 10 minutes of footage of anyone else from back then.

Always loved the show. Today show might’ve been the best ever. Absolutely nailed it

Yeah solid point. Outside of Nicholas I don't think I've seen probably 10 minutes of footage of anyone else from back then.
There are some really cool remastered matches on YouTube. I might start a thread on them because it's really interesting to watch.

I'm just waiting for one of these older generation players to start ranting on how 'easy' the greens have become based on the bumpy madness I've watched in these videos haha -It's no wonder so many of them used a pop stroke.

There are some really cool remastered matches on YouTube. I might start a thread on them because it's really interesting to watch.

I'm just waiting for one of these older generation players to start ranting on how 'easy' the greens have become based on the bumpy madness I've watched in these videos haha -It's no wonder so many of them used a pop stroke.
Oh that would be a fun thread.

Haha you know it's coming

Let's roll back the agronomical advances!

Back