2022 Cobra Golf KING Forged Tec and Forged TEC X Irons

He has the regular version I think
Oh, well that is even more impressive. Combine it with 75% fairways and things are looking good. Maybe even a LIV invite is imminent.

Oh, well that is even more impressive. Combine it with 75% fairways and things are looking good. Maybe even a LIV invite is imminent.

I think he's holding out for a practice round invite from the Ole Miss women's team. Tough luck for LIV. I do the same. 🤷‍♂️

Got a bit of time with the FTx GW on the short game area today. Really enjoyed the forgiveness on the shorter, partial swing approach shots. I wasn’t striking it great, but I did feel quite a bit of difference when I hit the center of the face. Obviously, the ball went further on the center hits, but I wouldn’t go as far to say that they were fliers 🤷‍♂️

@lukemartin93 What does your FTx GW play like? Does it play true to the 48 degrees of loft, or more like a PW at 45 due to the hot tech in the club?

You guys have pretty much convinced me to get the FTxs instead of the normal FTs. I also think they'd be the most similar in profile to my current 2015 FTs, except for the wierd lofts.

@lukemartin93 What does your FTx GW play like? Does it play true to the 48 degrees of loft, or more like a PW at 45 due to the hot tech in the club?
i guess it depends what you’re looking for/asking. I haven’t got it on a launch monitor or gotten shot scope data yet, but I’d say it’s long (or maybe the better word would be easy) compared to my past gw. The distance is similar to my past pw, however, the flight is similar to a gw

Thanks for the input! I guess I'll just have to wait till it gets here and figure out the gapping from there. I'm just curious what the my first wedge is gonna be after the set GW.

Thanks for the input! I guess I'll just have to wait till it gets here and figure out the gapping from there. I'm just curious what the my first wedge is gonna be after the set GW.
Not @lukemartin93 , but I would say my FTX GW plays very much like a GW should. Mine is bent 1 deg weak.
It’s just 5 ish yards longer than my 50 degree specialty wedge. I was previously gaming. Chipping with it is a dream. As I like the controlled run out green side.

Not @lukemartin93 , but I would say my FTX GW plays very much like a GW should. Mine is bent 1 deg weak.
It’s just 5 ish yards longer than my 50 degree specialty wedge. I was previously gaming. Chipping with it is a dream. As I like the controlled run out green side.

I’m going to agree with @mtbloco on this one @Jimbopoppins. I’ve had a few rounds with the FTx set GW now and it plays fairly similar to my previous 48° specialty wedge. I’m seeing this avg about 5yds longer on my shot scope numbers. I’m finding it to be a pretty good gap between my FTx PW and King Cobra Snake bite 54° (bent to 53°).

I have noticed that with some practice on the feeling, I can take some off and control flight/distance pretty well. The added forgiveness of the FTx seems to really help here. I’ve also been working on using it to chip more around the green. It obviously rolls out a little more than the snake bite wedges but I still find it to be very controllable. According to Shot scope I’m best chipping with it right now.

I am not @lukemartin93, but I have the set gw and I am not alone in the opinion that the gw does not play long and, if anything, is not long enough to gap into the pw. Some of us have experienced this phenomenon previously and my own belief is that the tec and low weight in the bottom of the club launches it too high. You could likely fix this by bending the gw and degree or two strong, Proper gapping is more important than the loft.

This is another example of why everybody needs to try a club. I just posted the opposite. We are both right for our own swings.

Put the FTx to work in league on Wednesday on my way to a 42. Honestly feels like a different game compared to my old TaylorMade Rsi1’s. 44% GIR and my average is 28.3% with my TM’s. The forgiveness is so noticeable it’s wild. Sound and feel perfect as well.

i guess it depends what you’re looking for/asking. I haven’t got it on a launch monitor or gotten shot scope data yet, but I’d say it’s long (or maybe the better word would be easy) compared to my past gw. The distance is similar to my past pw, however, the flight is similar to a gw

I would agree with you here. This GW is about 10 yards longer than expected. Don’t think it’s going to hurt at all but just trying to get adjusted still with only 18 holes under my belt with the irons.

I finally got a chance to hit the FT and FTx at a local shop near my office today. I was able to demo 7i in both the FT and FTx, with a variety of shafts.
Visually: the overall looks and top line on both clubs looks fine. I think Cobra did a great job on the design.
Offset: offset on the FTx was really throwing me off though. I wasn't a fan. FT had minimal offset in comparison.
Performance with FT: I hit the FT great. I was wearing out the middle of the club. Good dispersion overall.
Performance with FTx: Long story short, I hit the FTx like crap. I couldn't find the center of the clubface to save my life. I'm not sure if it's the offset doing it, and if I had them for awhile maybe I'd get used to it.
Shafts: of the shafts I hit, my favorite was the Recoil ES 780 F4. I also really loved the elevate 95, but I want to switch to graphite.

Gonna have to think about it a bit or maybe go back and hit them both again.
I might just want to go in fresh and only hit FTx for 20 minutes to see if today was just a fluke... maybe I was a bit tired.

If I bought a set today it would definitly be the FT, just based on MY performance hitting both heads.

Really, really enjoyed playing these today. Had no awful shots, which is new for me. The closest was a thin that still got up and landed pin high right off the green. Only issues came from not knowing my distances, but overall, I was extremely happy

Really, really enjoyed playing these today. Had no awful shots, which is new for me. The closest was a thin that still got up and landed pin high right off the green. Only issues came from not knowing my distances, but overall, I was extremely happy
I had only a few bad ones with my first round or so out, and it was mostly judging distances completely wrong long and short haha

I had only a few bad ones with my first round or so out, and it was mostly judging distances completely wrong long and short haha
definitely had some of those 😂😂. Smoked my five iron out of the rough way past the hole.

Let’s talk about the Forged Tec X irons. What a revelation these irons have been.

The set that I went with was 5-GW with Recoil 110 (1° weak). I’ve been super impressed in very limited action so far. I’ve already discussed how awesome these clubs look, they are visually stunning and provide confidence at address. The feel is muted, but still provides enough feedback on misses.

I put the entire bag on a Voice Caddie SC300i, and I learned some things and some questions were answered. I realize that the SC300i isn’t a GCQuad or Trackman, so these numbers will be close but not exact.

After reading that others were seeing 170 yard 8 irons, I was worried that I would have a hard time making sure the bag gapped correctly, but when reviewing the raw data from 160+ balls, that concern was alleviated.

This is the raw carry distance data, without miss hits removed:

BCE1EFFC-E671-4071-9EBE-12F58BAB195F.jpeg
Even without removing strikes that were chunked, thinned, etc. the gapping wasn’t bad. I didn’t see 170 yard 8 irons, but 160 wasn’t out of the question.

One well hit shots, these irons are longer in my experience than the last two iron sets that I had in my bag (Apex DCB & XXIO X Forged).
5CF83BE2-7469-4ADE-95E9-459FA3E1D5CB.jpeg
Here is the best strike data with the 8 iron, I would say that they are a full club longer than my previous set.

They are super fun to hit, if you haven’t gone to your local store to hit this offering, you need to get on that as soon as possible. I will be providing on course feedback as soon as I’m able to get back out there. If you have questions please ask.

Really surprised at how great the FTX feel. Cobra did an amazing job with the sound and feel of them. Can't wait to get them out on the course.

Let’s talk about the Forged Tec X irons. What a revelation these irons have been.

The set that I went with was 5-GW with Recoil 110 (1° weak). I’ve been super impressed in very limited action so far. I’ve already discussed how awesome these clubs look, they are visually stunning and provide confidence at address. The feel is muted, but still provides enough feedback on misses.

I put the entire bag on a Voice Caddie SC300i, and I learned some things and some questions were answered. I realize that the SC300i isn’t a GCQuad or Trackman, so these numbers will be close but not exact.

After reading that others were seeing 170 yard 8 irons, I was worried that I would have a hard time making sure the bag gapped correctly, but when reviewing the raw data from 160+ balls, that concern was alleviated.

This is the raw carry distance data, without miss hits removed:

View attachment 9107864
Even without removing strikes that were chunked, thinned, etc. the gapping wasn’t bad. I didn’t see 170 yard 8 irons, but 160 wasn’t out of the question.

One well hit shots, these irons are longer in my experience than the last two iron sets that I had in my bag (Apex DCB & XXIO X Forged).
View attachment 9107872
Here is the best strike data with the 8 iron, I would say that they are a full club longer than my previous set.

They are super fun to hit, if you haven’t gone to your local store to hit this offering, you need to get on that as soon as possible. I will be providing on course feedback as soon as I’m able to get back out there. If you have questions please ask.
What do you think of the gap between PW and GP?

Back