What is Your Next Golf Goal?

1. Getting into THP event- it’s hard to post a lot with everything else in life though.
2. shoot under par, best round is 73 and tons of 74’s. I’ve been 3 under as late as the 13th hole.
3. Solid traveling 5 handicap with scoring average of 78 or better - this I’ve been working all all year with lessons, purposed practice, DECADE and LSW strategy, fitness training, etc….
4. Gain significant swing speed

Right now, I would like to break 90 consistently, then hopefully break 85. I have been really struggling lately and have been making too many doubles and others.

Swing wise I turned the corner a little to gain some consistency and straighten out my ball flight. Now I just need to find the motivation to practice more and engrain the swing so when I play I am not thinking about it too much.

I am looking to travel more, hopefully to a THP event, but just to get out and play some courses that are on my list. I am starting to save up and put money aside and hope in 2023 I can scratch one off the list.

Making the playoffs in my league for the first time in 3 years.... and then winning the championship trophy.

The break par.

I would like to get to scratch, but there are some intermediate goals along the way.

Be eligible for mid-am qualifying: 3.4 handicap. Then try to qualify and return a score within 10 of the course rating (avoid the nasty-gram from USGA).

Be eligible for US Am Qualifying: 2.4 handicap. Then try to qualify and return a score within 10 of the course rating.

Be eligible for US Open Qualifying: 1.4 handicap. Do local qualifying and return a score within 8 of the course rating.

This would require consistent day-to-day play, and good play during qualifying. I am working on bettering my ball off the tee, as well as play around the greens while executing proper course strategy.

Trying to get 200 yard shots to play like 150’s.

I failed on my goal for the year which was to qualify for the US Senior Am. Unfortunately my game disappeared over the winter. My goal now is to rediscover my game and find some semblance of consistency then I will try to improve.

Would really like to get my cap to an 8. I figure at that point I would be fairly regularly breaking 80. Sadly I”m at the time of the year when the clubs go in the garage for the next 3 months. Maybe I can sneak in some Sunday rounds once a month from now until mid Novermber. 75hr work weeks a re a b*tch!

I’ve been incredibly fortunate to accomplish a few goals this year, including two that I didn’t think would be in the cards for a while (getting into a THP event and being competitive in our club championship). Goals for the remainder of the season:
1. Settle in with the 1.0 and practice putting to a spot instead of rolling straight 6-12’ putts.
2. Work on approach game from 200yards-100 yards.
3. Study more about course management and experiment with club selection.
4. Get more involved in other areas of THP. I’m trying my best with club/gear reviews but I’m not too well informed on the tech side.
5. Last but not least, drop the remaining strokes needed for the handicap goal.

Working on making sure my 19 year old doesnt beat me in a match!

He's recently rediscovered his love for the game after a 5 year layoff and it's coming back to him quickly! He out drives me but I still make up strokes on him around the greens. It's only a matter of time though!

My goal is to get where I can shoot 85 or better more often that not, with occasional trips into the 70's.

As for how I'm going to get there, I've gotten guidance from a coach and will be working the drills at home and on the range. Later we'll follow up with an online lesson and maybe an in-person lesson (the coach is remote).

Whenever possible, rather than making a quick trip to the nearby range, I'm going to make the longer drive to a place with a short-game area and spend 80% of my time on short game and putting.

Last edited:
In no particular order: iron fitting and new irons, THP Experience, consistent rounds at 80 or better, practice/play more, golf trip with friends

Hmmm. Don't really think of actual goals often. Its more of I just want to get better. If I had to pick one I would say a new PB.

I have my THP goal - which is to get into another event.

I have my golf goal which is to break / stay under 100. A lot of small goals with that one.

Driver:
Fairway 50%+
Driver distance 215+

Top of bag:
Find something that works as a long weapon

Irons:
Get consistent gapping and flights

Wedges:
Get the greens

Putting:
Eliminate 3 putts to once per 18

I would like to get to scratch, but there are some intermediate goals along the way.

Be eligible for mid-am qualifying: 3.4 handicap. Then try to qualify and return a score within 10 of the course rating (avoid the nasty-gram from USGA).

Be eligible for US Am Qualifying: 2.4 handicap. Then try to qualify and return a score within 10 of the course rating.

Be eligible for US Open Qualifying: 1.4 handicap. Do local qualifying and return a score within 8 of the course rating.

This would require consistent day-to-day play, and good play during qualifying. I am working on bettering my ball off the tee, as well as play around the greens while executing proper course strategy.

I never tried to qualify for the US Open but in my better golf days I used do the US Am and Mid Am (I actually was an alternate for both in the early 2000s but never qualified). Unless it is obvious you don’t belong in the field they didn’t used to send the nasty gram. I just posted an 84 in the US Sr Am qualifier where the CR is 72.2 and I don’t expect I will get the nasty-gram. We were the first group out and played the front 9 in under 1:50 minutes before we got held up by tee times off the back. At the end of the day that is really what the USGA cares about that you don’t hold up pace of play or distract your playing partners.

I have a couple. I'm trying to be more intentional than just setting a HCP goal since that hasn't worked in the past. I'm currently a 17.8 and trying to get below 15 by the end of the year. Goals to get there are:

1) Improve my approach game. According to shot scope I'm losing strokes on approach compared to a 15HCP and want to get to +1 strokes gained or better. I'm expecting the new Edel irons to immediately help but I'm really working on getting my weight through on every swing and improving my tempo.

2) Working on my mental game to improve my short game. A lot of my big mistakes come from mental lapses in my short game where I just rush and don't pay attention.

3) Improve my sand game. This has always been my biggest weakness and I never work on it because there is no convenient facility with sand to hit out of. I'm going to make the effort to get out to a facility with a good sand practice area once a week to try and improve here.

Still working on: Continue to improve. Work on approach shots. Break 80. Get putting avg. down.

Goals already achieved: Better Ball Striking, Course Management, Gain Distance off the tee. Scoring consistency(less doubles or worse)

One was a solid 2 handicap before severe injuries now want to get back somehow into single digits despite significant loss of distance. Did have 38 on one nine recently (but sadly 44 other) so just have to practice and play smarter golf and might make it someday.

Now that I’ve found a golf coach that I get along very well with (and a new found excitement for the game after struggling with my swing the past 2 years), my golf-related goals are:

1) consistently break 90 by early 2024 golf season
2) single-digit cap by end of 2023 season
3) golf trip to Ireland

At this point, my main goal is to just play a lot of golf, for as long as I can. Just relax, and have fun the game.

Although I will put forth my best effort, scores will be kind of important, but not really a big deal.

I'm looking at playing 2 or more 9/18 rounds per week, with practice days in between.

The only other goal I might like, is to try out a SeeMore putter some day..

I am looking forward to having my handicap travel better. I can score so much better at my home course because of the familiarity that I am working to be able to shoot the same on no matter what course I play.

Goal: Get my handicap back to 10 or below

Step 1: Learn how to break 90 again

Micro goals:
My mental game is a wreck. I’ve had too many thoughts swirling in my head and play golf swing too often. I need to improve that if I want to find any sort of form. To start with, I’m finding I’m not very committed to my shot. There’s a lot of hoping and begging in my mind. Commit to 50% of my shots and work up to 100% from there.

The funny thing is I’m most committed on the most difficult of my recovery shots. Whether it’s a low, rising punch or a partial iron that’ll fit into a window that gives me room. And those are the shots I have been doing well on. Not the easy wedge from the fairway, the ridiculous recovery that I need to be committed to pull off gives me more success. I need that commitment in all of my shots.

Back