New Release: Callaway Apex UW

It won't fix a bad swing, but it does seem to work some magic. I have an amazing level of confidence when this stick comes out of the bag. It rarely puts me in a bad spot when I hit it. Simply a magic stick.
That comment is reminiscent of many of the comments I read about the Mavrik hybrids at the time.

I'd tried a couple 3h's that had been given to me. Couldn't hit them for beans. Reading the comments about the Mav hybrids, thought "Why not?" Bought a 4h to take the place of my 4i I never could hit. I've only had it on the mat, so far, but I was striking like gangbusters with that thing right out of the gate.

I'm getting more than a little ahead of myself, but, when (if?) I get to that point, perhaps an Apex UW 19° should be something I should try? The top end of my bag is probably too busy (10.5° Mav MAX driver; Mav MAX 3w, 5w, and 7w, and Mav 4h). Maybe I could replace the 5w and 7w with a 19° UW?

Just ordered a 17 and 21 after spending some time with the 19 deg.
I was looking to replace the 19 deg 3h but the 19deg uw was a good 10-15 yards longer and my hybrid was already nicely gapped, so the 21 should be perfect.
The 19deg uw was also only 15 yards shorter than my 3wood so figured I would try a 17deg and see if on average I can get close enough to replace my 3 wood.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

I feel like they absolutely nailed the sound of this club. So good.

Love this 21* so much. Was in some decent rough after a not so good tee shot and had 205 into a Par 4 managed to cozy the ball up to about 10-12’ and convert the birdie. Love that 200 yds out is still a chance at a birdie rather than hopeful Par or Bogey.

Love the 21 as well. Have the 19 and 17 as well as I’m trying to figure out gaps between and it really is coming down to shafts and tipping.

Have a Diamana ZF in the 19 (tipped 1.25”) & 21 (tipped 1.5”) and love them both but want a bit more distance between so I am trying to find the magic with the 17.

Tried:
* Tensei AV Raw White - feels great but to low
* Diamana TB - did not care for it from the first swing
* GD Tour AD IZ - feels great with good launch and spin, but not the same as the ZF in the other 2

So broke down and found a “cheap” 17 on CPO and a reasonably price ZF and hope to have them both by the end of the week and assembled to try out.

I don’t want to carry 3 of them, so I need to just settle on which 2 give me the gaps I want.

Awesome clubs if you find the right shaft and tipping for your swing.

My current 17* has a head weight of 229g with a 3g weight in it. Unfortunately, I did not weigh the 19 & 21 beforereshafting but I would guess the 19 is similar weight and the 21 a bit heavier.

Used it a couple times today and it put me in perfect position. Pushed a drive on a long par 5 today ended up in the first cut / rough. Put a good swing on it and the ball exploded off the face and I ended up in perfect position, Very versatile club.

Launched two UW’s yesterday exactly the same distance. It’s a super consistent club for me and the 21° is essentially a 3 iron for me, perfectly in between my 4 iron and 3 wood with the ability to hit and hold a green. Awesome!!

327F0963-C55C-4257-A6F4-38226E9A73E6.jpeg

From here the 21° cleared the trees by a mile and landed like a wedge leaving 15 feet. Such a good club.

My 19 degree is confidence inspiring. It is an amazing club and I'm glad I bought it.

I can only manage to be the guy I want to be for about 9 holes right now, and the UW is my saving grace. Gave in and put the driver away, and immediately hit a UW almost 300y right down the pipe off the next tee. I seriously don't know what I'd do without it sometimes.

I'm still a little hit or miss but struggle to move on from this club. I don't "need" a MP Fli-Hi 2i because of this club, but I want one. The versatility of this club makes it so hard to move on from.

Epoxy broke down on my UW 😭

Here’s to hoping this evening when I pull it the Kinetixx isn’t effed up!

Epoxy broke down on my UW 😭

Here’s to hoping this evening when I pull it the Kinetixx isn’t effed up!

Oh damn. Yeah hope it just gave out

Oh damn. Yeah hope it just gave out
It’s been used a LOT, aaaaaand I leave my clubs in the car in the 106 weather so, I’m hoping that’s the case

It’s been used a LOT, aaaaaand I leave my clubs in the car in the 106 weather so, I’m hoping that’s the case

It’s easier to blame @MWard

finally did some testing with this yesterday and i was super impressed. ball speed off the face was crazy high. not unforgiving at all. and reached a flat but playable apex. love the concept and callaway executed it very well.

I loved the UW the moment I saw it but my bag setup felt pretty solid. Recently I had to tuck my tail, concede defeat, and give up on my gorgeous Cobra F9 Tour 4-5W. The sweet spot was just too small for my ability, and it isn’t a forgiving design for mis-hits either. So I cashed in on a 2ndswing sale, bought a used 17* UW with a senior shaft, and installed my fairway wood shaft. This club is amazing. My swing has been in the wilderness a bit, but good and mediocre strikes feel very hot but also under control. I love how the thin heel-side strike has enough spin to remain very playable, which was 100% not the case before. For those wondering: the 17* is absolutely long enough to be the longest non-driver club in your bag. I am looking forward to a long and productive future together, starting with this shot from 250 during a practice 9 this week.

33B4DBDE-4B05-407B-B6B5-6E8EB3284997.jpeg

Hit a couple of really nice shots with this today. Hit 2 really bad ones that cost me a couple shots. Thats been my story of this club.

I loved the UW the moment I saw it but my bag setup felt pretty solid. Recently I had to tuck my tail, concede defeat, and give up on my gorgeous Cobra F9 Tour 4-5W. The sweet spot was just too small for my ability, and it isn’t a forgiving design for mis-hits either. So I cashed in on a 2ndswing sale, bought a used 17* UW with a senior shaft, and installed my fairway wood shaft. This club is amazing. My swing has been in the wilderness a bit, but good and mediocre strikes feel very hot but also under control. I love how the thin heel-side strike has enough spin to remain very playable, which was 100% not the case before. For those wondering: the 17* is absolutely long enough to be the longest non-driver club in your bag. I am looking forward to a long and productive future together, starting with this shot from 250 during a practice 9 this week.

View attachment 9110621
Yup, remains probably the easiest to hit club I’ve ever owned/tested/reviewed. Everyone who I make hit the UW, just comes away surprised as hell.

I bought one of these in 21 degree and as much as I try, I cant hit these UWs. Some kind of mental block. I have no doubt they are phenomenal, I just cant hit them. Could be the stock RDX maybe…?

Hit my Apex Pro 20 degree hybrid way better and it isn’t even close.

I bought one of these in 21 degree and as much as I try, I cant hit these UWs. Some kind of mental block. I have no doubt they are phenomenal, I just cant hit them. Could be the stock RDX maybe…?

Hit my Apex Pro 20 degree hybrid way better and it isn’t even close.
I'm with you, it perplexed me. Like a much harder to hit hybrid with similar flight.

finally did some testing with this yesterday and i was super impressed. ball speed off the face was crazy high. not unforgiving at all. and reached a flat but playable apex. love the concept and callaway executed it very well.
FAST! I hit 154 ball speed yesterday on the GC, with my 19.0

FAST! I hit 154 ball speed yesterday on the GC, with my 19.0

damn that’s crazy! i got 138 with the 19*, which is really quick for me. smash was never below 1.50, 3 of the strikes were 1.52 😳

damn that’s crazy! i got 138 with the 19*, which is really quick for me. smash was never below 1.50, 3 of the strikes were 1.52 😳
I was laughing maniacally. I should hit it a lot more than I do, particularly with how damn workable it is to boot.

Solidly in the bag. Used it again today several times today. Good swing great results. Really good swing this club just performs.

Back