What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

Grabbed a sleeve of Srixon Soft Feel's for 9 holes yesterday. They do feel soft but I like that especially putting. Distance seemed good, durability was fine and ball flight was stable. Obviously they are not designed to spin a ton on partial shots but I knew that going in and allowed for it. Full iron shots (8 iron and up) stopped just fine. Usually within a foot or two of it's pitch mark. For under $25 a doz., they are a very good value. Not really the ball for high swing speed and low cap players but for an average Joe looking for a good budget priced ball, there is a lot to like.

Reactions: RD
Chrome Soft Truvis was impressive around the greens at the practice area. I'm lot losing a lot of balls golfing anymore, and it's starting to make sense to spend a little more if they perform better, so we'll see how this goes at league this week.

Chrome Soft Truvis was impressive around the greens at the practice area. I'm lot losing a lot of balls golfing anymore, and it's starting to make sense to spend a little more if they perform better, so we'll see how this goes at league this week.
When, and only when, I get to that point in my game, will I start playing "better" balls. Right now it could be next season, based on the way I have done so far this season. Bought 4 boxes of a 2 piece ball that is pretty well for me, and have only lost 2 sleeves in 6 rounds. If I can keep it in the fairway consistently, I will step up...

When, and only when, I get to that point in my game, will I start playing "better" balls. Right now it could be next season, based on the way I have done so far this season. Bought 4 boxes of a 2 piece ball that is pretty well for me, and have only lost 2 sleeves in 6 rounds. If I can keep it in the fairway consistently, I will step up...
The Callaway SuperSoft has been good to me off the tee, and pretty dang good around the greens as well. I'd give it a look if you want a budget ball that isn't a rock off your putter but still goes far and straight off the tee.

The Callaway SuperSoft has been good to me off the tee, and pretty dang good around the greens as well. I'd give it a look if you want a budget ball that isn't a rock off your putter but still goes far and straight off the tee.
Played that ball for 3 years in matte green. I liked it. Then started plsying Maxfli Softfli, which had the 2fer specials. After a while of playing them, felt like I was leaving a few yards on the fairway, and started playing some firmer compression balls, like right now, I'm gaming the TopFlite Hammer Control yellow, and I love it! Does everything I need a ball to do...

Ten year old thread still rollin'. Let's keep it going. So, my gamer for the season, at least what's left of it here in the Midwest, is the TopFlite Hammer Control yellow. Dimple in dimple cover just adheres to my CBX2's, and chips are the best with these wedges, especially greenside with my 60*. Off the tee this ball has distance in its DNA, but as of late, I have been launching kind of high, and losing some distance. Changed the loft on the driver(9*) along with a shaft change for more distance, and will be playing 9 Saturday, so I will put up an report on the changes. I have been playing decent golf as of late, so I hope the trend continues.
Ok, lets get this thread rollin.......

So I finally picked up a sleeve of the CSx, and really enjoyed playing them. I didn't see the check on the green a lot are seeing, but last night was on links greens that were baked like cement and just nothing sticking to them at all. Sadly there was no triple track on the ones that were available in the pro shop, but I am definitely going to be giving these a very solid look going forwards.

For the round on Saturday I played the CSX and it does everything I want it to do - we were playing an alternate shot format, so I was curious to see how Jen (as a beginner and much slower swing speed) felt about it, but she hit it pretty well

I almost holed out from the fairway twice with it, leaving her with a putts that nobody could miss - combined distance of those couple of putts was less than 1ft, that is how close I was. It was nice to be able to hit those particular shots, but everything from tee to green when I played a shot was predictable

The only shot that put her in trouble was the tee shot I hit on 16, when I almost put it in a greenside bunker at around 310yds - it somehow hung right on the edge of the bunker in a spot that even I would have had difficulty playing it, although I had no expectation of reaching the bunker at all to be honest

On Tuesday I decided to give the CSX LS another go, and it definitely has as much stopping power on full shots as I tend to see with the CSX, and I was also seeing more check on partial shots that I did previously, so I am putting it down to the condition of the greens earlier in the year when I felt like I wasn't seeing what I had come to expect from the CSX when I first tried the LS

I did lose 1 ball on the back 9, but that was after I started feeling unwell and it was a terrible swing....ball below my feet with OB right and you can guess what happened - yup, the big ol' slice goodbye

So I finally picked up a sleeve of the CSx, and really enjoyed playing them. I didn't see the check on the green a lot are seeing, but last night was on links greens that were baked like cement and just nothing sticking to them at all. Sadly there was no triple track on the ones that were available in the pro shop, but I am definitely going to be giving these a very solid look going forwards.
The conditions can definitely make a difference as I have found with the CSX LS, but even on our greens I was seeing check on most shots with the CSX when I wasn't seeing it with the LS

Still playing TP5x as my game ball but yesterday I found a Bridgestone Tour RBxs and enjoyed it. Was long off the tee, worked for me around the green and most importantly (to me) felt very nice off the putter. 🤔

QST Divide again. 27 holes on 2 balls. Don’t mind my humble brag :LOL:

I like the ball, especially when it’s in the air. It’s kind of hypnotic watching the thing fly. Spin into the green was adequate enough to stop balls on annoyingly firm greens.

I think the line messes up my putting though. I almost always use a sharpie line, but something about the transition on the ball is so precise that I just never trust it.

CSX TT 22’- still playing this ball and have had some good success with it this year so far. Allows me to play the short game I’d like by having high spin around the greens that allows for more aggressive lines and less roll out. Is really long off the tee. If there’s one nitpick it would be a higher launch more towards the LS would be incredible, but considering who the balls designed for a low trajectory is the most popular option. The TT is outstanding and makes putting much more consistent and inspires confidence in the fact that the line is correct and the three lines allow for verification and less likelihood it’s slightly off.

Went back to the ERC Soft. The Vice Pro Plus I have been playing felt a little "harsh" as temperatures dropped from the mid 90s down to the mid 70s. The ERC had a nice, softer feel off the driver.

Just bought 3 dozen Bridgestone E12 contact balls in green. The one I found went straight as an arrow, so hoping for good things.

Gave a dozen CUT Grey to a friend... He said he loved them and became his go to ball - not me but thought I would pass the word

Just put Chrome Soft in the bag.

First off, let it be known that I am a short hitter of the ball. My swing tempo is slow.

The past 2 weeks, I have played 3 different balls. Those being the e6, PV-1, and some model of a Srixon ball. The e6, and Srixon were both softies. Not sure what the PV-1 make up was. Also, the PV-1, and Srixon were both previous lost by others. TYVM.

I got 18 holes out of each one, breaking 90 each time. All were played on three different courses.

Score wise, there was not much difference in the three. They all gave me good ball flights/rolls when I put a good swing, or putting stroke on them. My low round was with the e6. My high round by 4 strokes was with the Srixon.

I expected the PV-1 to fly farther. Maybe it did by a few feet, Idk. I am a slow tempo swinger.

The Bridgestone e6 is my ball of choice. It is always delivers for me, is always available on the store shelves, and has always had the best price associated with it. (under $2 per ball, just barely)

I'm on vacation right now. I didn't have balls for my rental bag, so I bought a sleeve of green Supersofts at the pro shop.

They're just kind of a comfort zone now. I like the distance on irons and the feel when putting, but the rollout is a little ridiculous. Playing on a fast green, I had to aim at the fringe to get a ball to stop by a center-green pin.

I don't really like that lack of checkup, but the high-spin balls that smash on the brakes cost 2x as much and lose a club of distance with my irons. So I'll just keep the soft ball train rolling.

I'm on vacation right now. I didn't have balls for my rental bag, so I bought a sleeve of green Supersofts at the pro shop.

They're just kind of a comfort zone now. I like the distance on irons and the feel when putting, but the rollout is a little ridiculous. Playing on a fast green, I had to aim at the fringe to get a ball to stop by a center-green pin.

I don't really like that lack of checkup, but the high-spin balls that smash on the brakes cost 2x as much and cost me a club of distance with irons. So I'll just keep the soft ball train rolling.
I'd been playing the SuperSofts and liking them. Last night, the Chrome Softs may have ruined them for me with how awesome they are for the short game shots.

I'd been playing the SuperSofts and liking them. Last night, the Chrome Softs may have ruined them for me with how awesome they are for the short game shots.

I'll have to give those another chance. I remember the full-swing ball flight being very, very Supersoft-ey (a plus in my book), but didn't see any crazy checkup.

I'll have to give those another chance. I remember the full-swing ball flight being very, very Supersoft-ey (a plus in my book), but didn't see any crazy checkup.
I don't get "crazy" spin, but had more than my fair share of nice pitches that didn't roll out as far as I'm used to, which was good.

@Canadan so going from your norm, how did the chrome soft LS do for you?

Maxfli Tour for the last few rounds. Really solid ball especially for the price. I've shot pretty good scores and don't have any negatives. It's definitely not hindering my game in any way. Feel falls right into my preferred range as well around 90 compression.

I've been playing the E12 contact but today I switched to the AVX for the front 9. It was just okay for me and rolled out a bit much on chips and pitches.
Played the back 9 with the Pro v1X and improved 6 strokes over the front 9. Learned I could be more agressive with my short game. Hmmmmmm,,,,,,,

CS X LS. Good distance off the tee, spinny greenside shots, nice off the putter. It probably spins too much for soft greens unless I throw it close every time.

2020 Chrome Soft. Okay distance off the tee, decent spin greenside, nice but a little soft off the putter. It’s a really good moist grass ball. Spins well on chips, but not enough to be super short on soft but relatively quick greens.

I still lean towards the CS X. A little more spin on my approach shots help out when it’s dry and firm. That’s most of the time if I’m golfing. The Chrome Soft is a good substitute when the greens are more receptive, but I could probably use less loft instead.

Back