Matching gap wedge or no?

I rarely use that wedge for full swings. Mostly longer chips or partial swings from 80 and in.

Specialty, unless you need the forgiveness. Even then a CBX2 or something would be my vote.

GW came with my set of Irons, it's a love hate relationship.

Specialty, unless you need the forgiveness. Even then a CBX2 or something would be my vote.

I had the CBX ZipCore’s. Since I’ve shallowed out my swing and changed my chipping technique they were a no go. The MG3’s have been much better

Thinking of doing this on my next set. I get the nervous nellys with the thin wedge in my hand... wondeirng if matching would give me more confidence....

Any thoughts? I usually am hitting this one thin and 100% it is a full shot. tell me which way to go
I picked up the Edel 54T wedge and have been hitting it well to the point that I thought about replacing my set A wedge with a 50 degree Edel. But I mostly use the A Wedge for full shots between generally 100 and 120 yards and I did not for the exact reason you stated about the " thin wedge" and my concern that my misses with that would be not good so I stuck with my set A wedge which I am happy with. Lol at least for now.

I have both, prefer matching.

I went with the matching gap wedge when I bought my Srixon ZX5 irons. Love it. Full swings, chips, pitches all work well with it. Maybe the v sole has something to do with that? Chipped in for birdie last weekend with my AW.

I’m a firm believer in matching GW.

Through my last 3 sets (Apex CF16, P790, i500) I tried very hard, and often returned to try again, to get the set’s gap wedge to work for me. Each time, although it’s never happened with non-matching GW’s, distance issues in the form of random yet not infrequent short shots off of what seemed like a good pass.

I’ll surrender to it likely being a me-thing but when it only happens with (3 sets’) matching gappers and never with non-matching, I’m forever done with the prolonged failed experiment.

Found a good deal on a 50* MG3 that matched my other wedges so I went that route. If it doesn’t work I can always pick up a matching gw later

My wedges are 48-52-56-60. Never had a gap issue with them. If a certain, strange yardage comes up, I could always open the face up on one of those.

Worst case scenario, if needed, I could do the same with my 44*, or 40* degree clubs. (9i & 8i).

Ditto.

I have a unique set now, have matching gap wedge and sand wedge. Play CF19 irons, and they make a 48* Gap wedge (AW) and a 54* sand wedge. Grabbed the sand wedge this year and it’s awesome as is the AW. Now I only have to buy a 58* lob wedge when I get the itch each year.

There’s a PGA pro who had Callaway make a SW made to match his gap in a different set of irons, forget who that was, very expensive I believe.

Do I sacrifice forgiveness for more versatility and stopping power or go with the more forgiving design and deal with it’s limitations, if there are any.

A little about my game. I suck. BUT, I’m getting better, I think. Finally figured out my driver, my approach games is hit and miss, mostly miss, and my short game really sucks. If I can get the short game right I can see low 80’s in my future.
Another vote for some version of the CBX. Mine is still the original. It's fine for both pitches/chips and also full swing on decent turf, at least for me. And I can pretty much wack at the ball without much thought and the ball flies. The only time I think s set gap wedge might be better is on an exceptionally tight lie or hard pan. And I think I probably suck worse.

I don't think there's a definitive answer. I eventually replaced the GW in my previous set of irons with a CBX because I just couldn't get along with the set GW. But I got the set GW with my new irons and it suits me very well.
Yup! I never had a matching set gap wedge, as I always have my wedges match each other. I have CBX2's-50*, 54*, 58*, which are performing very well for me this year, along with my new ball.

I always play a set GW. 100 yd shot I’ll take as much forgiveness as possible. I rarely chip with a 50* so it’s the set GW all day

I had the CBX ZipCore’s. Since I’ve shallowed out my swing and changed my chipping technique they were a no go. The MG3’s have been much better
I really liked the MG3 50 too.

My set GW is 46° and I also have a 50. The set GW is for full shots and the 50 is for less than full shots. The yardage of the GW is 125-135ish and 50 has some overlap with my 54 but I use it when I’d be stretching the 54,
Man, they have to stop jacking up the lofts on these clubs. My PW is 46*, whereas back in the day, a PW used to be 48*, 50*, and you didn't have a gap wedge. I won't buy a set if the PW is less than 46*. My last 2 sets, and my current set have a PW of 46*. I buy specialty wedges to go with them. Previous wedges were Cleveland 900 RTG's, which were made to rust, at 52*, 56*, 60*. Great wedges, being formed forged, gave me instant feedback, and I knew if I made a good chip, or pitch, right away. These did not have the micro grooves, or full face grooves, but I honed my short game on these. I bought them used at Golfsmith, more than 10 years ago, and just replaced them with CBX2's 2 1/2 years ago, and they are great. My CBX2's are 50*, 54*, 58*. My short game is almost automatic with these wedges. I can get a 2 piece ball to check, with rollout. Distance control is key for the rollout. Been leaving a lot of 3'-6' putts with these wedges.

I’ve never had much luck with a matching set GW, probably because I very rarely use them for a full swing and for some reason can just never get partial distances dialled in with set GW which is probably mental on me.

I've always gone with a matching GW, as today the loft on those today is more like the PW of old. I use it for mostly full shots, but also for chips where I need more roll than carry.

I play a set GW as it’s a full swing club for me, if it wasn’t, I’d play a bladed wedge there. All about needs.

I love my matching ZX7 gap wedge and at 51º it gaps perfectly between my 46º PW and 56º SW.

My set A-wedge is 48* and I use it almost exclusively for full swings. It's my 120 club. My first specialty wedge is 52*. Full swing is about 100, but it works well for chipping, pitching, etc.

I'd say it very much depends on the set. My A-wedge matches up with the P-wedge loft from my previous set.

Back