Official Rant of the Day

I know that one. Hasn't happened since we moved to the new place, but it was always brutal.
I mean this house is only two years old. My wife is like can you go work on it.

Nope it’s raining outside andyou don’t want me messing with the AC. 😂

I have them, but it can take 7-10 days and I’m on day 1
Geeze, that's quite the waiting period. Hope they kick in soon!

I mean this house is only two years old. My wife is like can you go work on it.

Nope it’s raining outside andyou don’t want me messing with the AC. 😂
Raining is the perfect time to go fiddle with outside electrical components.

Raining is the perfect time to go fiddle with outside electrical components.
🤔It all makes sense why we were talking about life insurance earlier. 😂

What the hell have I done. Buying a house then selling a house. Buying a 5th wheel then selling a motorhome. 5th wheel to live in while I have to commute to work back where we currently live. All of this while trying to work in both Oklahoma and South Dakota. Then throw in a trip to California via Motorhome for our sons wedding. Close on new house before we leave for Cali. The next 8 weeks is going to be fn wild.

Had a three year starter, two year team captain, on my girls team quit on Thursday. Will not play her senior year.

It hurts on many levels. On the three years of effort put into her, on what it’s done to her teammates, on what it means for the program. And frankly, what she meant to me as a rock I could depend on, that one hurts the most.

This hurts. It makes me want to walk away from coaching before my planned exit schedule. But, this too shall pass, and we will figure out how to survive.

Had a three year starter, two year team captain, on my girls team quit on Thursday. Will not play her senior year.

It hurts on many levels. On the three years of effort put into her, on what it’s done to her teammates, on what it means for the program. And frankly, what she meant to me as a rock I could depend on, that one hurts the most.

This hurts. It makes me want to walk away from coaching before my planned exit schedule. But, this too shall pass, and we will figure out how to survive.
Sorry to hear. We all know what those kids mean to you.

Sorry to hear about it, James. I think you turn this into a chance to let another girl (or girls) learn how to lead.

Sorry to hear. We all know what those kids mean to you.
Parents put too much on kids plates. I’ve seen many break under the pressure of it, but it’s becoming more and more common.

Sorry to hear about it, James. I think you turn this into a chance to let another girl (or girls) learn how to lead.
It’s kind of been playing out already. She was never a vocal leader, but she was always committed. The freshman, now sophomore, star I have has been being groomed all summer to take the lead in being that vocal leader the program needs. She’s driven, she wants to be great, and my gosh the work ethic. 88/88 as a freshman at state and she put up an even par 9 the other day after a summer of lessons and work.

She will thrive in the opportunity, and I’m going to see her through to graduation. But, losing a low 80’s golfer on the team in girls golf is going to make it all harder. So far though, the other girls seem to be rallying at the opportunity.

It just hurts. And it’s totally out of left field. Not like some kids you see it coming.

It’s kind of been playing out already. She was never a vocal leader, but she was always committed. The freshman, now sophomore, star I have has been being groomed all summer to take the lead in being that vocal leader the program needs. She’s driven, she wants to be great, and my gosh the work ethic. 88/88 as a freshman at state and she put up an even par 9 the other day after a summer of lessons and work.

She will thrive in the opportunity, and I’m going to see her through to graduation. But, losing a low 80’s golfer on the team in girls golf is going to make it all harder. So far though, the other girls seem to be rallying at the opportunity.

It just hurts. And it’s totally out of left field. Not like some kids you see it coming.

I get it. You become emotionally invested when you spend years with kids. Not to mention the impacts on the program itself.

Parents put too much on kids plates. I’ve seen many break under the pressure of it, but it’s becoming more and more common.
Don’t know this exact situation but hate it if parents have influenced her decision with their ideas. The dynamics that coaches have to deal with are mind blowing. Dealing with young kids is bad enough. Then through in parents that may not be open minded to the equation. 🤯

I get it. You become emotionally invested when you spend years with kids. Not to mention the impacts on the program itself.
It’s just gutting. The youth is coming, but we are a year away. 8 years qualifying as a team in a row is a big deal to the program and to the town, so naturally I up the pressure on myself now, which isn’t healthy but it’s what I do.

That said, I do coach best with a chip on my shoulder.

I know this, it’s gonna take a special talent for me to take on any more competitive dance kids. I can’t compete with the 10-20k spent on that a year, or the 4 day week 5 hour after school practices. 😞

Don’t know this exact situation but hate it if parents have influenced her decision with their ideas. The dynamics that coaches have to deal with are mind blowing. Dealing with young kids is bad enough. Then through in parents that may not be open minded to the equation. 🤯
Nah, more on the lines of allowing them to run from adversity. ANY adversity.

Funny enough, they still haven’t told her dad that she’s quitting.

It’s just gutting. The youth is coming, but we are a year away. 8 years qualifying as a team in a row is a big deal to the program and to the town, so naturally I up the pressure on myself now, which isn’t healthy but it’s what I do.

That said, I do coach best with a chip on my shoulder.

I know this, it’s gonna take a special talent for me to take on any more competitive dance kids. I can’t compete with the 10-20k spent on that a year, or the 4 day week 5 hour after school practices. 😞
Nah, more on the lines of allowing them to run from adversity. ANY adversity.

Funny enough, they still haven’t told her dad that she’s quitting.
Let me guess dance is really moms dream. Wants her daughter on some big name college Pom squad.

Let me guess dance is really moms dream. Wants her daughter on some big name college Pom squad.
Actually no, simply unwilling to push the baby of the family, especially if something is hard.

That said, I still love the kiddo to death. Always will. But this one is going to hurt for a very long time.

On the phone with Enterprise to change a reservation. They say they cannot change it because they don’t have any cars available. I’m shortening The reservation. How do I have a reservation if they have no cars available???

Update:
After being on hold for 20 min, “Anne” managed to disconnect the call when getting the manager to fix this issue. Now I’m back calling in to the wonderful India call center to go through the whole fiasco again. #BringBackAmericanCustomerSupport!

Last edited:

That's rough. We've got several kids not playing this year, none of which would have probably started for us, but when our numbers are already down, makes it even harder to practice and pretty much kills or ability to even play JV games without going down to 8 man

On the phone with Enterprise to change a reservation. They say they cannot change it because they don’t have any cars available. I’m shortening The reservation. How do I have a reservation if they have no cars available???

Update:
After being on hold for 20 min, “Anne” managed to disconnect the call when getting the manager to fix this issue. Now I’m back calling in to the wonderful India call center to go through the whole fiasco again. #BringBackAmericanCustomerSupport!

I've been through this more than once. Using an off site booking service instead of the Enterprise location you are actually getting the care from in most cases, that booking service doesn't have a clue what cars are at the pickup location. That comfirmation you get is the comfirmation of the booking company not the pickup location. That has happened to me more than once, ( booking a car at an airport through a service other than the actual car rental company) so now I call the location where I will be picking the car up and make my reservation there. At least they know what cars they have on the date you need a car. You would think in today's "digital age' these companies would share info, but that's still not the case. ITs a freaking bummer.

There's got to be some underlying reason for this. Kids don't just quit for no reason.

Update:
Oh yeah, I know dealing with the call centers in India or Pakistan or wherever it is... "thank you for calling XXXX. My name is John. How may I help you?" And I try. I really do try to understand "John" but their accent is sometimes so thick it's very difficult...

There's got to be some underlying reason for this. Kids don't just quit for no reason.
It’s dance. She’s always been a favorite of mine, and I’ve always been there for her, but I can’t compete with the tens of thousands of dollars, and massive peer pressure, of dance here. I fought the fight for three years and thought we would make it to the end, I was wrong.

But, now I just coach em up more than ever. That’s the job. I will always endeavor to persevere.

It’s dance. She’s always been a favorite of mine, and I’ve always been there for her, but I can’t compete with the tens of thousands of dollars, and massive peer pressure, of dance here. I fought the fight for three years and thought we would make it to the end, I was wrong.

But, now I just coach em up more than ever. That’s the job. I will always endeavor to persevere.
Sorry to hear that. Dance competition is ruthless; and the kids can be very cruel to each other... at least as I see on the trailers for tv shows. I'm sorry and saying "you did what you could do" doesn't mean crap... but a kids' dedication lies where they want it to and if their heart isn't in golf, then it's not in golf. Like you said though, don't give up on the ones that want to be there and do the best you can.

As a parent I appreciate the effort and dedication someone puts into something for other people's kids of their own free time and initiative. THANK YOU! Everyone of you, not just @Jman but every person that works with other people's kids. Unsung heroes!

Back pain. That is all.

Update:

Oh man! That is straight out of Seinfeld!

Yeah, I love guys named Steve and Bob with thick Indian accents! Just posted, and you can still watch that. Just click on the underlined "watch on You Tube'.

Back