Gap in my set looking for some ideas or recommendations

Paddy1Putt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Current state I have a 25 degree hybrid that carries around 165 (big hitter I know lol). I then.... Have a 7 iron that carries between 140 - 145. It's 30 degree loft and 37 inches long, regular flex true temper steel. I am wondering if you all had a suggestion on something that might fill the gap a little more. My preference is a cavity back and I have no objections adding another 7 iron or replacin this one with a different one.

My 6 iron is too flat for approach shots from that distance, it's 26 degrees and is OOC.

My initial thoughts were to get a stronger 7 iron, something around 28 or 29... Anyway looking for suggestions I would greatly appreciate this. I guess in a roundabout way I am looking to hack the game a little. 145 - 150 would be outstanding the courses I play (quite a few) require that distance and this wet fart just ain't getting it done.

Am I reading your signature correctly that you carry 10 clubs? And, do you enjoy the M6 hybrid you have?

The M6 is available in 22 and 28* lofts in addition to your 25*... the 28 would fill the gap to 7i, and I you wanted a 22* or 7w could be added to bridge the gap between your 5w and 25* hybrid... might give you another option from long range.

Current state I have a 25 degree hybrid that carries around 165 (big hitter I know lol). I then.... Have a 7 iron that carries between 140 - 145. It's 30 degree loft and 37 inches long, regular flex true temper steel. I am wondering if you all had a suggestion on something that might fill the gap a little more. My preference is a cavity back and I have no objections adding another 7 iron or replacin this one with a different one.

My 6 iron is too flat for approach shots from that distance, it's 26 degrees and is OOC.

My initial thoughts were to get a stronger 7 iron, something around 28 or 29... Anyway looking for suggestions I would greatly appreciate this. I guess in a roundabout way I am looking to hack the game a little. 145 - 150 would be outstanding the courses I play (quite a few) require that distance and this wet fart just ain't getting it done.

Just a thought. I am not familiar with your 6h make up/style.

Have you tried opening up the club face of the 6h?

Open club face aimed at your target, with an slight open stance. (I use a very small open stance, almost square) Then swing normally along your shoulder line. Hand grip stays the same.

It's close to a bunker sand set up. It would take some practice to dial it in, but well worth it. In fact, once learned, you could do it with other clubs in your bag.

This set up/swing sends the ball much higher, and shorter, with less roll out, than your normal set up and swing.

Depending on how much you opened the club face, you could get a 155+/- yardage.

If not an open club face, how about a shorter back swing?

If one of these works for you, you save the price of a newer club. More green fee money.

Am I reading your signature correctly that you carry 10 clubs? And, do you enjoy the M6 hybrid you have?

The M6 is available in 22 and 28* lofts in addition to your 25*... the 28 would fill the gap to 7i, and I you wanted a 22* or 7w could be added to bridge the gap between your 5w and 25* hybrid... might give you another option from long range.

I'm looking at the stealth 28 degree right now. Thank you for providing this I didn't know they even made these!. 47 going on to 70! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

"Out Of Control?"

Why not tweak the 6i up to, say, 28°?

Out of Commission.

Not a bad idea with the 28 degree from 26. I may look into doing this, thanks!

Just a thought. I am not familiar with your 6h make up/style.

Have you tried opening up the club face of the 6h?

Open club face aimed at your target, with an slight open stance. (I use a very small open stance, almost square) Then swing normally along your shoulder line. Hand grip stays the same.

It's close to a bunker sand set up. It would take some practice to dial it in, but well worth it. In fact, once learned, you could do it with other clubs in your bag.

This set up/swing sends the ball much higher, and shorter, with less roll out, than your normal set up and swing.

Depending on how much you opened the club face, you could get a 155+/- yardage.

If not an open club face, how about a shorter back swing?

If one of these works for you, you save the price of a newer club. More green fee money.

playing today I'll try this at the range, not sure I have the skill to pull this off. LOL

Not a bad idea with the 28 degree from 26. I may look into doing this, thanks!
Here's my thought process, and I may be completely out in the weeds on this, but, ISTM jacking the loft on a 7i may actually give you less distance, whereas jacking the loft on a 6i may give you both the distance you want and less roll-out?

If you lived closer I would suggest you come and try my Cleveland Halo XL 7 iron. I hit it a country mile.
Question, why is your driver a stiff shaft? More control?

playing today I'll try this at the range, not sure I have the skill to pull this off. LOL
It's not a hard shot learn. Hardest part is the adjustments that the individual golfer needs to make to be on target. It's a lot like a bunker shot. Differences being you hit the ball first. Not the turf.

It's basically a longer lob shot. Don't give up. Stick with it. Even if you decide to purchase another club.

How about another hybrid?
Exactly my suggestion as well, a 6h would fill the gap perfectly I would imagine.

@Nick20UK
7 is ~140-145 the 8 is ~ 10 less. Whereas the 6 is not quite that gapping and a lower ball flight.

@Duffer Seamus
Exactly more carry less roll out.

@ULEWZ
Bought it off a friend it had a stiff on it, it's not really that stiff to be honest.

@WLG1952
Do you have any instructors or videos on this shot. Sounds interesting.

@Nick20UK
7 is ~140-145 the 8 is ~ 10 less. Whereas the 6 is not quite that gapping and a lower ball flight.

@Duffer Seamus
Exactly more carry less roll out.

@ULEWZ
Bought it off a friend it had a stiff on it, it's not really that stiff to be honest.

@WLG1952
Do you have any instructors or videos on this shot. Sounds interesting.
I would just google "flop shots" and adjust your swing from there.

Here's my thought process, and I may be completely out in the weeds on this, but, ISTM jacking the loft on a 7i may actually give you less distance, whereas jacking the loft on a 6i may give you both the distance you want and less roll-out?

Just a heads up I did some loft jacking, big time. I went into superstore and asked them for these specs, they looked at me like I head two heads. I went with a super high kick iron shaft for my 5 iron (yeah I know we talk 6 but hear me out).

In the Cobra F7 line the 4 and 5 is complete hollowbody, which generates more ball speed. So what I did is as mentioned got the flexier shaft, same grams etc... I had them bend it from 23 to 25.... I had them bend the 6 to 28 from 26 they didn't want to go anymore than that. They are going to adjust the lie angle as well to match.... Cost me ~80 dollars but I decided to regrip them both.... Kind of jenky, but hey it is what it is....

16th they should be complete.....

How about an LTDx 7 iron? It's 26*, launches pretty good but has less spin than a traditional 7 so it'll carry a bit further? You sound very similar to me and that is what I hit for that spot.

How about an LTDx 7 iron? It's 26*, launches pretty good but has less spin than a traditional 7 so it'll carry a bit further? You sound very similar to me and that is what I hit for that spot.

If my bending experiement fails then I will most likely to to pick one of these up or hit them I should say like the stealth hybrids. Do you think the 26 degree loft will create even lower ball flight.... I generate a lot of dynamic shaft lean with not a lot of club head speed. Not really a good combo.

It's a home grown swing and I have watched and done a ton of drills turning down the wrist etc to get a lot of shaft lean, but what they fail to tell you is you need a certain amount of club head speed to couple with it....

Just a heads up I did some loft jacking, big time.
Bold moves (y) It'll be interesting to see what comes of this.

As for the "looked at you like you had two heads": That's the way my guy at my LGS looked at me when I described how I was training. I found it amusing :ROFLMAO:

Back