Tour Event 2022 FedEx St Jude Championship

How does an official assume Cam knew what he was doing? It makes it sound like Cam knew he was cheating and didn't call a penalty on himself. Cam obviously had no idea this was illegal. If a official saw it live on TV why didn't they assess the penalty when he walked off 18. The infraction occurred on the 4th hole, there was plenty of time to discuss the penalty. Waiting until the next day to tell Cam was not a good look for the PGAT and is the reason some are questioning the whole situation. If that happened to TW you would get a different reaction from the masses. I digress.

How do they assume he knew what he was doing??? Because he didn't call in an official for help!! Idk how many times this needs to be stated. Normally if you don't ask for help or clarification it means you know what you are doing. No one was calling him a cheater. He simply didn't know the rule and thought his drop was okay. It was not, and he confirmed so himself. Easy stuff.

I am having difficulty understanding Cam Smith drop penalty. He drops the ball within two club lengths from the point of relief. The ball rolls down a slope and is touching part of the hazard line. The ball is lie is good and Cam plays it. Why the penalty when the player is allowed to play from within a hazard without penalty?
It's a dumb rule. They claim he has take FULL relief from the penalty area if he wants to drop.

Wouldn't have expected anything different. I can only imagine how many balls are going into the water there in the future as many will likely try that shot.

How do they assume he knew what he was doing??? Because he didn't call in an official for help!! Idk how many times this needs to be stated. Normally if you don't ask for help or clarification it means you know what you are doing. No one was calling him a cheater. He simply didn't know the rule and thought his drop was okay. It was not, and he confirmed so himself. Easy stuff.
Fine, answer me why they waited until the next day to give him the penalty especially of they saw the penalty in real time.

Fine, answer me why they waited until the next day to give him the penalty especially of they saw the penalty in real time.
They didn’t see it in real-time.

It's a dumb rule. They claim he has take FULL relief from the penalty area if he wants to drop.
Doesn't dropping within two club lengths take that into account ? Surely the player has the option when the ball comes to rest after the drop? This is not a good look for the Tour.

1. Real time - Some officials see it on tv. They notice it was close to the line but give the benefit of the doubt to Cam because he didn't ask for help and assumed he knew that he was doing.
2. After the round concludes another official sees it and thinks its on the line.
3. They gather and discuss the next morning and think it is something they should ask the player himself.
4. Cam confirms the penalty. All is made right.

Doesn't dropping within two club lengths take that into account ? Surely the player has the option when the ball comes to rest after the drop? This is not a good look for the Tour.

When you take relief from a penalty area you have to take full relief. Simple rule. Cam did not take full relief because he dropped the ball and it rolled back into the penalty area, and played from there.

In this case Cam should have re-dropped. If his second drop also rolled back into the penalty area then he could have placed the ball where the drop initially made contact with the ground.

When you take relief from a penalty area you have to take full relief. Simple rule. Cam did not take full relief because he dropped the ball and it rolled back into the penalty area, and played from there.

In this case Cam should have re-dropped. If his second drop also rolled back into the penalty area then he could have placed the ball where the drop initially made contact with the ground.
Thanks.

Why couldn't Zalatorius have taken an 'unplayable lie' and dropped 2 club lengths away from the spot between the sod and the rock wall, moving on an arc equidistant from the pin? He would have been a short chip away from the pin (yea, it turned out in his favor the way it played out, but I never even heard the announcers mentioning that; was that not allowed?

Why couldn't Zalatorius have taken an 'unplayable lie' and dropped 2 club lengths away from the spot between the sod and the rock wall, moving on an arc equidistant from the pin? He would have been a short chip away from the pin (yea, it turned out in his favor the way it played out, but I never even heard the announcers mentioning that; was that not allowed?
Because it's a red hazard. Has to be on line, and there was nothing on line closer than the drop

Because it's a red hazard. Has to be on line, and there was nothing on line closer than the drop
"Oh yea, forgot about that...didn't see the line, just thought the rock wall delineated hazard. So there must have been a red line on the grass?

"Oh yea, forgot about that...didn't see the line, just thought the rock wall delineated hazard. So there must have been a red line on the grass?
Yeah, and no closer to the hole, staying on line with the shot (that never got over the rocks) = drop area

Back