Dhartmann34's Swing Battle and Journey....

Hey! Progress has been good... But the long term consistency takes time.

As for your question... I do find a right to left block or slice when I don't commit. And I find that my chest flies open early during those instances.

My 3 key items in focusing on...

1. Arms takeaway and vertical
2. Right shoulder starts downward to start the downswing.... Brings the rest of the swing through.
3. Keep my head on the ball all the way through the swing. Of it moves off, it's usually up and away, which causes my chest to open up which means here comes that poor right to left shot.

I'll video it and explain this week. Probably makes more sense when it's on video.

Appreciate the feedback! These items are all sounding familiar to me, but I'll be looking forward to the video as well.

Appreciate the feedback! These items are all sounding familiar to me, but I'll be looking forward to the video as well.
I'll get that video done this week hopefully. We've had sickness running through our house so I haven't been able to get to it.

I'll get that video done this week hopefully. We've had sickness running through our house so I haven't been able to get to it.

No worries dude!

No worries dude!
Okay, garage floor is done and I had a few minutes to get this done. Hopefully it all makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Great explanation Derek! I think it's cool that you're kind of putting all this previous knowledge & work together & figuring it out more or less on your own.

I predict scores will drop significantly once you get your new distances dialed in!

Nice garage floor BTW! What did you go with?

Great explanation Derek! I think it's cool that you're kind of putting all this previous knowledge & work together & figuring it out more or less on your own.

I predict scores will drop significantly once you get your new distances dialed in!
Thanks! I've been working hard on it, by myself for a few months now. Really trying to find the moves that work for me, and go with it. Still more to do obviously, but there have been some good results. I'm most impressed with the distance gains and fairways hit.

Dude you're down to a 2.4 hdcp!?

This was a motivating one to read through, and thanks for positing all your progress. The video you posted today is really similar to what my instructor has been drilling in to me, especially on the backswing - trying to maintain a similar angle between clubface and my spine. Lots of work to do on that one but it’s slowly coming around. Great work and keep it up 👊.

Dude you're down to a 2.4 hdcp!?
ha no. I was a few years ago when that was updated. I'm not sure what I am as I haven't even kept one the past couple of years besides for my league... which I believe is a 3 right now.

This was a motivating one to read through, and thanks for positing all your progress. The video you posted today is really similar to what my instructor has been drilling in to me, especially on the backswing - trying to maintain a similar angle between clubface and my spine. Lots of work to do on that one but it’s slowly coming around. Great work and keep it up 👊.
Thank you sir. It's been quite the journey over the past however many years. Consistency is the key and what I need to get down. Thankfully my putting and chipping are always solid. Always scrambling.

Okay, garage floor is done and I had a few minutes to get this done. Hopefully it all makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Such good stuff man! Well explained too. We have very similar goals it sounds like - keeping the club outside the hands is also a big one for me. I actually do the little check back to parallel on a lot of swings, like Justin Thomas did for a long time, specifically to check that. Then it's all about the weight shift for me coming down. If I do it right, the hands follow and the club drops right into the slot, but I at times struggle with exactly what you were talking about.

Now, I ALSO really need to figure out how to putt and I'd probably be a 5-6 cap pretty quickly... But that's a story for another thread 😆

Such good stuff man! Well explained too. We have very similar goals it sounds like - keeping the club outside the hands is also a big one for me. I actually do the little check back to parallel on a lot of swings, like Justin Thomas did for a long time, specifically to check that. Then it's all about the weight shift for me coming down. If I do it right, the hands follow and the club drops right into the slot, but I at times struggle with exactly what you were talking about.

Now, I ALSO really need to figure out how to putt and I'd probably be a 5-6 cap pretty quickly... But that's a story for another thread 😆
My putting and chipping is what saves me. Stop by for a lesson anytime 🙂

Thank you sir. It's been quite the journey over the past however many years. Consistency is the key and what I need to get down. Thankfully my putting and chipping are always solid. Always scrambling.
Consistency is a difficult one to pin down. Feels like my body doesn’t move the same way every day, so trying to understand and troubleshoot things has been a real big thing for me so far in this process. The short game is still one I’m working on but we’ll get there 👊.

So I've had some scoring success here late in the season. The last month I've been focusing on maintaining, or at least trying to feel like, keeping the same tempo during my backswing and in my downswing. I've had some good ball striking and have felt comfortable doing that.

So of course I felt the need to complicate things.... And a couple weeks ago, I had a full bag fitting from True Spec. Well that through me through a loop.... While also giving me a bit more clarity with a few swing tips through the 3.5 hour fitting.

The main thing he wanted me to work on was first, setting up with my hands lower at address. He had me over exaggerating it at first... Which lead to a shank, but then I stepped up to the ball after that and hit a few good ones.... And my hands had automatically setup a little lower, without thinking about it, when I took my "normal" setup.

He also had me do a "release" drill, which is extremely hard to put into words.... But essentially it's exaggerating the release of the club before I start turning through the ball. It was surprising how much club head speed this seemed to add.... Somewhere north of 5mph with the driver!

Here are a few snapshots of the clubs and performance versus my current setup and the suggested setup.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221104-203209_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20221104-203209_Drive.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20221105-113007_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20221105-113007_Drive.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 5
So I've had some scoring success here late in the season. The last month I've been focusing on maintaining, or at least trying to feel like, keeping the same tempo during my backswing and in my downswing. I've had some good ball striking and have felt comfortable doing that.

So of course I felt the need to complicate things.... And a couple weeks ago, I had a full bag fitting from True Spec. Well that through me through a loop.... While also giving me a bit more clarity with a few swing tips through the 3.5 hour fitting.

The main thing he wanted me to work on was first, setting up with my hands lower at address. He had me over exaggerating it at first... Which lead to a shank, but then I stepped up to the ball after that and hit a few good ones.... And my hands had automatically setup a little lower, without thinking about it, when I took my "normal" setup.

He also had me do a "release" drill, which is extremely hard to put into words.... But essentially it's exaggerating the release of the club before I start turning through the ball. It was surprising how much club head speed this seemed to add.... Somewhere north of 5mph with the driver!

Here are a few snapshots of the clubs and performance versus my current setup and the suggested setup.
Which True Spec Store did you go to and what made you go there?
I know you are a Club Champion guy when it comes to club fitting so I'm a little surprised to see you going to True Spec.

Great updates and progress Derek! Very cool to see the progress in your swing and the improvement the fitting could net. Full club gain in the irons and 30+ yard improvement in driver is nothing to sneeze at. 8mph ball speed increase, 1000rpm spin reduction and 2* increase in launch with driver is pretty transformative! Honestly looks like pretty massive ball speed improvements all across your bag.

What stuff did you get fit into? I see T100S iron head, but curious about the rest and about the shafts.

Which True Spec Store did you go to and what made you go there?
I know you are a Club Champion guy when it comes to club fitting so I'm a little surprised to see you going to True Spec.
I went to the highland park location. I had done club champion a couple times, but that fitter moved to Texas and I thought I'd try something different.

Great updates and progress Derek! Very cool to see the progress in your swing and the improvement the fitting could net. Full club gain in the irons and 30+ yard improvement in driver is nothing to sneeze at. 8mph ball speed increase, 1000rpm spin reduction and 2* increase in launch with driver is pretty transformative! Honestly looks like pretty massive ball speed improvements all across your bag.

What stuff did you get fit into? I see T100S iron head, but curious about the rest and about the shafts.

And that is where my ego took a big hit.... :LOL: And for the record... I had no clue what shaft or specs were set to when I hit each club/head. He just asked what I felt while holding the club (which I usually replied, it's light and short) and then I swung away. Truth is... My current irons are .25" long (for Titleist standards I guess), weight 118 grams and everything is swing weighted to D4. He asked if I'm exhausted by the 10th hole...and I said YEAH! But I thought it was just cause I'm out of shape. 🤷‍♂️😆 My woods are 65g x flex shafts that are swing weighted to d3 as well. 🥵

I'll first start off by saying that the fitter says that the golf industry needs to wipe the 'flex' off of a shaft and any sort of 'standard' off of a shaft length... because apparently, flexes, lengths, weights and more are not standard across the board. I knew that a little bit, but Carmen explained it more in depth, which was quite enlightening. CPM... a frequency of some sort... was the real topic, which I found interesting. Here's an article I found to try and understand it more.... I think it helped... maybe. :LOL: ( https://golf.com/gear/what-does-cpm-golf-shaft-mean-gear-101 )

So what was I fit into? (I swear I tried lots of heads, but Titleist just stuck out)

Driver Titleist 9* TSR2 Driver with a Diamana PD Series 50 Regular shaft

3-Wood Callaway Rogue ST Max FW 3HL 3W with Diamana TB series 50 Regular shaft

IRONS Titleist T200S (4) and Titleist T100S (5-GW) with KBS Tour V shafts, REGULAR, 'standard' length. Starts with a CPM of 307 and goes up by 4 for each club. I still need to figure out more about what this means for me and my swing. But essentially, it is the shaft and 'flex' that helps the clubface meet the ball at the right time and place for me to get the best performance and numbers.

WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM9 54.12 D and Vokey SM9 58.08 M. I have no idea what the grinds and whatever mean. He wanted to get my spin numbers and trajectory to the right place where it all works. He definitely increased my spin with these! It was impressive.

I didn't do a putter fitting. One, my putter is the best part of my game and I've had it since brand new in 2000. It's not going anywhere. And I had it checked and fitted for me a couple years ago and it just works. I don't want anything messing with that.

So hopefully that answers your questions.

Right now I'm pretty sure I want them to build the irons, because the specs seem pretty dialed in, and I want that performance guarantee if they don't seem to perform like they seemed to in my fitting. They're about $450 more than if I ordered them from Titleist. But the peace of mind is important to me. Not to mention I don't buy clubs often. Last time, besides my new wedges (they wear out!), was like 5 years ago.

I'm not sure about the woods as there's nothing all that special about the specs besides the CPM... and they upcharge the shaft and grips so much that I'm just not sure I'll buy them.

And that is where my ego took a big hit.... :LOL: And for the record... I had no clue what shaft or specs were set to when I hit each club/head. He just asked what I felt while holding the club (which I usually replied, it's light and short) and then I swung away. Truth is... My current irons are .25" long (for Titleist standards I guess), weight 118 grams and everything is swing weighted to D4. He asked if I'm exhausted by the 10th hole...and I said YEAH! But I thought it was just cause I'm out of shape. 🤷‍♂️😆 My woods are 65g x flex shafts that are swing weighted to d3 as well. 🥵

I'll first start off by saying that the fitter says that the golf industry needs to wipe the 'flex' off of a shaft and any sort of 'standard' off of a shaft length... because apparently, flexes, lengths, weights and more are not standard across the board. I knew that a little bit, but Carmen explained it more in depth, which was quite enlightening. CPM... a frequency of some sort... was the real topic, which I found interesting. Here's an article I found to try and understand it more.... I think it helped... maybe. :LOL: ( https://golf.com/gear/what-does-cpm-golf-shaft-mean-gear-101 )

So what was I fit into? (I swear I tried lots of heads, but Titleist just stuck out)

Driver Titleist 9* TSR2 Driver with a Diamana PD Series 50 Regular shaft

3-Wood Callaway Rogue ST Max FW 3HL 3W with Diamana TB series 50 Regular shaft

IRONS Titleist T200S (4) and Titleist T100S (5-GW) with KBS Tour V shafts, REGULAR, 'standard' length. Starts with a CPM of 307 and goes up by 4 for each club. I still need to figure out more about what this means for me and my swing. But essentially, it is the shaft and 'flex' that helps the clubface meet the ball at the right time and place for me to get the best performance and numbers.

WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM9 54.12 D and Vokey SM9 58.08 M. I have no idea what the grinds and whatever mean. He wanted to get my spin numbers and trajectory to the right place where it all works. He definitely increased my spin with these! It was impressive.

I didn't do a putter fitting. One, my putter is the best part of my game and I've had it since brand new in 2000. It's not going anywhere. And I had it checked and fitted for me a couple years ago and it just works. I don't want anything messing with that.

So hopefully that answers your questions.

Right now I'm pretty sure I want them to build the irons, because the specs seem pretty dialed in, and I want that performance guarantee if they don't seem to perform like they seemed to in my fitting. They're about $450 more than if I ordered them from Titleist. But the peace of mind is important to me. Not to mention I don't buy clubs often. Last time, besides my new wedges (they wear out!), was like 5 years ago.

I'm not sure about the woods as there's nothing all that special about the specs besides the CPM... and they upcharge the shaft and grips so much that I'm just not sure I'll buy them.

the regular flex driver shaft blows my mind! also crazy that you were getting 159mph ball speed with a 50g regular flex shaft. i love it!

the regular flex driver shaft blows my mind! also crazy that you were getting 159mph ball speed with a 50g regular flex shaft. i love it!
You and me both. But unless that GC4 was broken, it was legit. I was stunned. Just wanted to keep hitting it over and over after we were done. Same with the 3W. It was tremendous.

Hey it's been a long while!!

By chance, I found a new swing coach!!

First lesson was a few weeks ago. He saw all the faults in my swing and instead of saying I needed to change a bunch of swing things.... He wanted me to work on my footwork, which he said was the biggest issue...which would help sequencing the swing and fix the other faults.

One of the things he mentioned was that the low point of my swing with a 6 iron was about .5 inches before the ball. He wanted me to get it to 3-4 inches after the ball.

So he gave me a step drill to get the sequence in order and get to the left side which helped that issue quickly.

In a few rounds I was hitting the ball better and even piped a few drives over 300 yards and was definitely making better contact in general.

First lesson goals/takeaways /drills were as follows in the picture. And a video of the step drill.

Attachments

• 20231102_115730.jpg
    20231102_115730.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231102_115652.mp4
    56.3 MB
Back