Cleveland Launcher XL Halo Irons

This has been a pet peeve of mine with the Cleveland hybrid style irons over the years.

I have the altitudes in my spare bag and in my humble opinion was the most resilient cavity finish Cleveland used on that line. The black almost seemed baked on or powder coated. Sure it marked up a bit (think matte crown drivers) but never chipped.

Then came the Launchers HBs and Turbos with satin paint that chipped away very easily. The halos when I had them briefly seemed to be more like the altitude finish but perhaps not it you are sating it’s chipping already. The set I had came with covers and I used them while testing to protect the resale value.

I found the same issue with my Cobra trails. I’m meticulous with my clubs and these looked horrible after a season of use. Sold thembecause of it.
Now I’m rocking g425s which will look the same as they do know 10 years from now.
The only way I keep these irons is if I find a way to remove the black entirely. My OCD will never allow me to live with looking at chips in the paint while I'm trying to look down at the ball.

The only way I keep these irons is if I find a way to remove the black entirely. My OCD will never allow me to live with looking at chips in the paint while I'm trying to look down at the ball.
Could try Acetone but that would require likely soaking the head taking off all the other paint fills too

Could try Acetone but that would require likely soaking the head taking off all the other paint fills too
I wouldn't submerge the club in Acetone for fear of messing up the epoxy in the ferrule. I was thinking of just using Acetone with some cotton balls and trying to rub it off. If it scratches this easy it might just wipe off easy.
Another option may be some very fine sand paper, just don't know how smooth the finish will look after.
My last option is to call Cleveland and see if we can work a deal and switch to the regular xl launcher irons.

I wouldn't submerge the club in Acetone for fear of messing up the epoxy in the ferrule. I was thinking of just using Acetone with some cotton balls and trying to rub it off. If it scratches this easy it might just wipe off easy.
Another option may be some very fine sand paper, just don't know how smooth the finish will look after.
My last option is to call Cleveland and see if we can work a deal and switch to the regular xl launcher irons.
Agreed. I wouldn’t have put it up to the ferrule. Only would submerge the back cavity.

Good news, my golf shop is going to get me new hybrid irons from Cleveland because of the chipping. I may have to consider some very thin headcovers.
Side note, my short game has really improved with these irons which was a concern, go figure.

Just curious why Cleveland didn’t follow Tour Edge and Cobra T-Rail with a plastic insert in the cavity area? Might solve the durability issue being discussed. My mix of TE HL3s and 4s have held up really well. Some bag chatter, but nothing like I’m seeing on the Turbos and Halos.

Just curious why Cleveland didn’t follow Tour Edge and Cobra T-Rail with a plastic insert in the cavity area? Might solve the durability issue being discussed. My mix of TE HL3s and 4s have held up really well. Some bag chatter, but nothing like I’m seeing on the Turbos and Halos.
Problem solved
1F22EEA7-7987-402F-8FC8-2760AB42C14D.jpeg

sub 70 seems to have solved the problem with their 799 irons

I actually just use normal oversized iron head covers and they fit fine on 6 thru D wedge - only the 4 and 5 iron are a little tight

Good news, my golf shop is going to get me new hybrid irons from Cleveland because of the chipping. I may have to consider some very thin headcovers.
Side note, my short game has really improved with these irons which was a concern, go figure.

You will love the pitching wedge. Baby got bounce.

The trails and hot launches do not have plastic cavity inserts. I’ve owned them all. All painted steel

Update: My Halos are really working out well for me, I never hit so many great iron shots in my life.

Is anyone using the SW and if so how is it working out for you?

Update: My Halos are really working out well for me, I never hit so many great iron shots in my life.

Is anyone using the SW and if so how is it working out for you?
Nope, Cleveland CBX2s for me. Work a treat.

Has anyone seen the 8-gram weight? I had a GG person tell me there was no weight when re-regripping my clubs. Today, I re-gripped the pitching wedge myself and saw something that was orange at the butt of the club. I assume that was the weight?

Has anyone seen the 8-gram weight? I had a GG person tell me there was no weight when re-regripping my clubs. Today, I re-gripped the pitching wedge myself and saw something that was orange at the butt of the club. I assume that was the weight?
That’s it. It’s not in the grip.

I wouldn’t mess with it. My buddy had his removed when he bought his and they feel so much heavier. (and I know what you’re going to ask… no, removing them will not make the shaft play stiffer.) 😉

Wow! Some of you should never buy a set of forged irons… I don’t get the complaints about wear on these clubs. Mine have about 70 rounds on them, bouncing around on the back of a cart with no head covers and they look great.
What are you guys doing to yours? 😂

The paint fill on the numbers didn’t last long, but that’s all the wear on mine. But I keep the covers on them.

The paint fill on the numbers didn’t last long, but that’s all the wear on mine. But I keep the covers on them.

Yeah they are essentially hybrids really. And they need covers if looks are a concern. I have the Cleveland ones as well and they look great. Course I’m not a person that hates iron covers ect anyway. Clubs ain’t cheap! Take care of them. Cleveland should really include them with all sets in my opinion.

Yeah they are essentially hybrids really. And they need covers if looks are a concern. I have the Cleveland ones as well and they look great. Course I’m not a person that hates iron covers ect anyway. Clubs ain’t cheap! Take care of them. Cleveland should really include them with all sets in my opinion.
I wouldn’t use them, but I agree. They should be included.

[…] ago with the launch of their new Launcher XL drivers and fairway woods. Following that up was the Launcher XL Halo irons and we had a full video breakdown of that set. Today, the lineup becomes complete with the preview […]

[…] ago with the launch of their new Launcher XL drivers and fairway woods. Following that up was the Launcher XL Halo irons and we had a full video breakdown of that set. Today, the lineup becomes complete with the preview […]

Interesting name and post. I'm still with you, though. One of the most overlooked features of the xl halo irons are chipping/pitching with the wedge. It is so easy and basically fool proof. As a higher capper, this club is a stroke saver.

Interesting name and post. I'm still with you, though. One of the most overlooked features of the xl halo irons are chipping/pitching with the wedge. It is so easy and basically fool proof. As a higher capper, this club is a stroke saver.
I think they are referring to their new HB soft milled putters. Probably a review on here somewhere, or coming soon.

1665235329263.png

Back