TESTED! Cobra KING Tec Hybrid Review

I played in a tournament this morning where I was playing alternate shot the whole round so I had some longer approach shots than usual so I got to hit these 3 times with excellent results. First one was 205 out, hit the 4h to pin high. Needed to draw it about 10 yards around a tree and it just stayed straight so had a chip just off the green. 2nd time was in the FW about 185 out and had to hit a 20 yard slice around some trees and hitnit to about 20 ft. 3rd one was about 190 out from the fairway and hit it to about 15 feet.
Love seeing Paradise play well.

I played in a tournament this morning where I was playing alternate shot the whole round so I had some longer approach shots than usual so I got to hit these 3 times with excellent results. First one was 205 out, hit the 4h to pin high. Needed to draw it about 10 yards around a tree and it just stayed straight so had a chip just off the green. 2nd time was in the FW about 185 out and had to hit a 20 yard slice around some trees and hitnit to about 20 ft. 3rd one was about 190 out from the fairway and hit it to about 15 feet.
Nothin wrong with that sir

I think @Jtubb17 may be on to something having a bag full of these

That is awesome. I pickup up a 4h to complement the 2h I put in my MC setup, for exactly those shots you wrote about above. It was just too good to ignore. I skipped the 3h because I wanted a bigger gap and like my strong hybrid to have big potential from the tee or fairway.

Nice swinging Will. 👊

Stuck a par 5 approach at 230 pin high today. About 25 feet away. It’s just easy to hit.

That is awesome. I pickup up a 4h to complement the 2h I put in my MC setup, for exactly those shots you wrote about above. It was just too good to ignore. I skipped the 3h because I wanted a bigger gap and like my strong hybrid to have big potential from the tee or fairway.

Nice swinging Will. 👊
How does the 3W to 2H gapping treat you? Definitely temped to find a spot in the bag for another one.

How does the 3W to 2H gapping treat you? Definitely temped to find a spot in the bag for another one.

This is all from rather extensive indoor testing earlier this year, but the 2h was powerful. Almost identical peak height as 3w (110ft) , similar spin, just a little less clubhead speed. The 4h was on cruise-control / auto-pilot at about 215 carry.

1661027415464.png

My LGS was rockin' busy when I stopped through today. Nonetheless, I was able to sneak in for a quick 10-minute session. I hit a few "warmup" shots with a King Utility 4i. Then this was my first one with the King Tec 2h w/ MMT Stiff shaft. Crunch. 🤯

View attachment 9070434

Chased the above with another crunched one, but pulled it worse. Then I thinned one, and it held up VERY well not over-spinning, and landed on the center line. Then I smoked a couple of high draws peaking at 125ft and coming in at 46* from 240+ out. Off the deck. That will play, right?

After that fifth shot (perfect), I racked it. People waiting. What a cannon!

View attachment 9070436

@willplaysgolf Also.... this posted earlier in this thread on a different day with the 2h. 151mph. Man I miss my golf swing right now...

This is all from rather extensive indoor testing earlier this year, but the 2h was powerful. Almost identical peak height as 3w (110ft) , similar spin, just a little less clubhead speed. The 4h was on cruise-control / auto-pilot at about 215 carry.

View attachment 9114066
The FWs are the last clubs I feel like I need to settle into, and these numbers make it pretty tempting to pick up a 2h and 3h and let them duke it out with the 3w and 5w

The FWs are the last clubs I feel like I need to settle into, and these numbers make it pretty tempting to pick up a 2h and 3h and let them duke it out with the 3w and 5w

DO IT!

I play 3w a lot off the tee, and while it goes OK-ish... its a shallower face, and the longer shaft makes my strike not always be as nice as I would like it to be. And I play it so rarely from the fairway that it's not always the best play when I get into those situations. Lately I have found a lot of happiness with a strong hybrid in the bag to complement it. It still won't cover 3w distance, but it works out better than a 5w for me, and when I am swinging confident every now and then I get some seriously bomb-y results off the tee with it. And for long holes I can cover ground off the deck with ease using a hybrid and not worry about scuffing a 3w.

I play 3w a lot off the tee, and while it goes OK-ish... its a shallower face, and the longer shaft makes my strike not always be as nice as I would like it to be. And I play it so rarely from the fairway that it's not always the best play when I get into those situations. Lately I have found a lot of happiness with a strong hybrid in the bag to complement it. It still won't cover 3w distance, but it works out better than a 5w for me, and when I am swinging confident every now and then I get some seriously bomb-y results off the tee with it. And for long holes I can cover ground off the deck with ease using a hybrid and not worry about scuffing a 3w.
Ya, I feel like I'm similar. I was hoping with the 3W I'd see an improvement off the turf from my mini driver but I haven't really yet. I have way more confidence with the mini driver of the tee vs 3W. Since mini driver isn't in Cobra's lineup 2h might be the next best thing...🤔

I stand by getting the 2h. That thing is an absolute monster off the tee! I could leave my driver home and not miss it with this in the bag.
07C18E0B-C530-415F-A883-CEA8A1B724A7.jpeg

To be fair, this hole does play about 40yds downhill
E2AA795E-A71E-4A43-923A-D70BB6E3ED0A.png

Last edited:
I'm tentative to kick this out of the bag after it's been performing so well for me. Depending on how the new SMS irons play out I may end up adding another one as I've been struggling with my 5 iron recently. Lofted down to 20* the 4H has been working out really well, fills the 190-200 gap, and has been great to me as an approach club on par 5's.

The 3 utility is not working for me right now in the bag..

After some consulting with @JDax and Yags I have pulled the trigger on the King Tec 4 Hybrid w/ Project X HZRDUS SMOKE RDX. Very excited about this and hoping it can be that safety net off the tee when the driver isn’t acting right. Delivering in by Friday, can’t wait to talk about the new stick!

I hit a difficult par 5 in 2 using the Tec 4h both rounds of our club championship this weekend (pics below). 1 led to a tap in birdie and the other I was a little aggressive and made a 3 putt par. I hit a couple of bad shots out of waste bunkers with the 5h, but I think that was technique more than the clubs.

I have a 2h and 3h in route to try for this year's bag, as I haven't gotten along with the LTDx 3 and 5 woods as much as I've liked.

I'm a big fan of the Callaway UW and was not expecting these to quite be as good, but it's getting very close.

The wear mark on my 5h is very toe biased. I think that is mostly from when I first got it and wasn't vibing with the shaft. But if it doesn't start to creep more central it might mean the LTDx would be a better fit for that slot. The LTDx 6h I just got has a much more centered wear pattern so far.
4E8FB43C-F54A-4F71-918A-F702B425C953.jpeg91D353E7-2AE9-4A16-95B6-6B7AD7A43A89.jpeg

12 rounds in the books with the 2, 3, & 4 hybrids. I was quickly impressed with these clubs, even jumping to say that the 2 was early front runner for my favorite in the Morgan Cup bag. That feeling has not faded at all! These clubs are so fun to hit and so easy.

The 2 has become my safety net off the tee. My driver swing has been a little iffy lately and I’m so happy I have this club to help me around the course. I’m averaging 62% fairways and 252yds with it. Some days I wonder why I even bring the driver with me. When I do need to back off a little, the 3 & 4 are just as effective averaging 57 and 55% respectively. The majority of are shots that end up going a little long through the fairway.

Off the deck the performance of these have been just as impressive. I feel comfortable now going after a green 220+ even if it’s a fairly tight shot. Before having these I wouldn’t go after a green that fat out unless I had a wide open landing area to accommodate my big two way miss. With the weights set in the draw bias, I can stand over the ball and feel comfortable that I will hit a straight or baby draw shot every time.

Several playing partners have seen me hitting these and were surprised that Cobra made such a good club. I think the only complaint I have is the dirt getting in the weights on the bottom of the club.

This club is billed as being for the better players but it seems like it would be just as good for a mid-high handicapper as well. Thoughts?

This club is billed as being for the better players but it seems like it would be just as good for a mid-high handicapper as well. Thoughts?
It’s very user friendly.

I’ve been hovering around 15-16 handicap and it works great for me. I wouldn’t dismiss it solely on your handicap.

I was able to get out and walk 9 last night and have determined I need to get on the range with these. I've hit a couple good ones so far and they have had some incredible ball speed and distance but I have also hit some ugly shots from way off the toe. I think I just need to get used to the shafts in these as they are heavier and stiffer than my old hybrid.

I hover around 12 and it's a great club for me. Being able to play with the adjustability and weights I think can really help a mid-high capper if you have some consistent miss.

The 3H gave me my first legit look at eagle this year over the weekend. Such a good club.

Back