They don't even offer free shipping? Thats a huge miss.
Yeah, once I add shipping the dozen came to $38 a month with the subscription. I am not opposed at that price but want the performance to be there as the cost delta isn't enough at that point.

That said, the alignment aid is interesting and if I like the ball I could still see signing up, but it would be a combination of differentiators, price being one of them but not the sole reason.

That was a very thorough look behind the scenes of this new brand. I like the target logo, that gets passing marks from me. Reading the info on their website, at least some of their models advertise a proven 332 dimple pattern. They have two, three, and four piece offerings, cast urethane covers, and some fun names like the RedAF and GreenAF Country Mile models. Seems like they have covered the bases. Lots of positive review on the ProTour model.

Always love to see a Kikkor reference. My all time favorite golf shoes, way ahead of their time.

I can see the subscription model as super handy, but really only if it is a ball you truly like, and if you are going through them. If you are playing a ton, and losing a lot of balls, this could definitely save you the time of heading to the store to grab balls.

Really though, if I am going to get balls at retail, I am shopping for other things, and that is a lot of the experience that I guess I would miss out on with the subscription. Its not like I get to a real golf store often, maybe 1-2 times a year, but I want to try clubs, check out clothes, see whats new.... and then grab some balls to round out my purchases.

The fact they used a universities engineering program and wind tunnel is pretty cool. I do like that they aren't a slap a logo on a ball and call it new. I do not know if subscription for an unknown ball/new ball will hold or work but if it performs and starts getting some love in publications and websites it possibly could. I have never been a huge subscription box person so it is not for me personally but we will see where they end up. I do like how they are straight forward and say we perform well and are cheap, not that they created a way to walk on water and lose 20 lbs sitting on your couch snake oil type marketing/bull crap a lot of companies do. Golf is a fickle market but Dean has experience in it so I think he might be able to make it work long term.

Really thorough look through the company, interesting deep dive. Interesting on the patents running through their cycle so will be interesting to see if others try to jump on as well.

$100 spend gets free shipping. I think that is becoming the norm as we move forward with the rising cost of shipping.
To the subscription thing, I believe it will become much more normal in the future. I have said my share on it, that I believe it is not as successful here as elsewhere because golfers don't think they are as bad as they are. We lose more balls than we think in other words. Then run to the pro shop to reload, otherwise there isnt a ton of reasoning why pro shop golf ball purchases would be as high as the are.
It may be but at $35 a dozen plus $9 shipping I'll just go to the local store and pickup a dozen that is a known product. Subscription models may be the future but for now this pricing just doesn't work for me personally. If you want people to try your product you need to give them a reason. Maybe I could jump at trying a dozen at $35 out the door but I'm not doing a subscription on an unknown product to save a few bucks regardless if I can cancel at any time or not

Well, THP continues to uphold their long-standing tradition of publishing articles that a competent editor would send back covered in red. Content is ok-to-good; structure and syntax are C-minus-Freshman-English level.

Well, THP continues to uphold their long-standing tradition of publishing articles that a competent editor would send back covered in red. Content is ok-to-good; structure and syntax are C-minus-Freshman-English level.
Thanks for the read. Shouldn't you be white knuckle trolling people on twitter like the normal?
Im sure our editor @GolferGal will take this feedback and file it where it belongs.

It may be but at $35 a dozen plus $9 shipping I'll just go to the local store and pickup a dozen that is a known product. Subscription models may be the future but for now this pricing just doesn't work for me personally. If you want people to try your product you need to give them a reason. Maybe I could jump at trying a dozen at $35 out the door but I'm not doing a subscription on an unknown product to save a few bucks regardless if I can cancel at any time or not
I'll give you an SD-02 so you can get a feel for them. I *think* i have one left.

solid 3rd post in 9 years man. Top notch stuff here

That is certainly an interesting story. Like others, I like that the company did its own R&D. If I had not just ordered golf balls via a "subscribe and save" with golfballs.com, I'd give them a go. I think the ProX1 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: would be what I would choose.

Golf Balls are one of the hardest things to review for golfers, but based on the discussion above, I think a forum testing could be in order. It would be interesting to see how they fare for golfers of all skill levels.

What was the point of that post? If you don’t like it get your golf content somewhere else.

Interesting story for sure and one that includes a seemingly decent commitment to technology in the product line. I like the compare tool on their website which is useful to align / compare with known OEMs. As I always say, the cheapest piece of equipment in golf to change is the golf ball, so since I'm intrigued by their story, I'll probably buy a dozen, eat the shipping cost and see how they play.

Those Country Mile balls look super interesting. Supersoft equivalents for $15/box? Yes please. And "Green AF" is exactly the shade of color I am shopping for in a golf ball.

Last edited:
Golf Balls are one of the hardest things to review for golfers, but based on the discussion above, I think a forum testing could be in order. It would be interesting to see how they fare for golfers of all skill levels.

Yes to this.

I like the idea, and I do like golf balls. I also loose a TON but am getting better at that (some days). I’ve been playing a mix of chrome softs, avx’s, and old stock hex soft’s so I think I would fit myself into the SD 05.

Asa creature of habit I wouldn’t be opposed of a subscription, but I have probably around 3-400 golf balls laying around right now that I need to get rid of. It’s a stupid fetish or addiction (still don’t know which).

Dear THP,

Do not judge all Bay Area people based on this ridiculous post. We all aren't complete D-Bags. Although we have found one here.

Dear @JB - Thanks for continuing to bring bring content for those of us that love the game and the community your site brings.

Dear @willo 'the Glen, from your name it looks like youre in SJ. We are better than that. Be better.

Really interesting read as always. I always feel a little bad for these companies that try to break into the ball market, cuz it never works. Cool to know that these aren't white labeled though and Seed personally developed them. Maybe that will help. I understand it's all about the customer, but like a couple have basically said, if you are going to try and break into this market with an unknown product and I have to pay $35 + $9 shipping, it's just not gonna happen for me. You have to offer something for that first purchase. Since you can cancel or pause a subscription any time, why not give free shipping for the first delivery no matter if it's only one dozen to help entice people?

Interesting story. I have seen these balls around but never tried any..

Looking it up, I can get 2 dozen of the Seed Country Miles for the same price after shipping as 2 boxes of Supersofts.

I think next time I run low on balls, I will reload with a Red AF box and Green AF box from Seed, then see how those game. If they're good, I can order a bunch and the DTC savings will really kick in.

Interesting story. I have seen these balls around but never tried any..
I have not encountered any as of yet but I have feeling as their popularity has grown that changes.

When I started to read this piece, I wasn't expecting it to go as deep as it did. Sounds like Seed is nothing like a lot of the DTC brands we have seen pop up recently.

I remember seeing something about Seed here a month or so ago? I almost jumped in on them because of The Jack alignment system but they weren't in stock on the ball I'd want it on.

Really cool to see the deep dive here and it's refreshing that they aren't just throwing their name on something they know nothing about. Being #1 DTC ball in a country (Ireland) perked my ears up. That area knows their golf so the product must be doing something right. Those bags don't look half bad either!

Great read JB!

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
Back