Review XCaliber Rapid Taper Iron Shaft Review

Built a set of PXG 0311P for @Raidernut5
His clubs from PXG were an absolute mess. The 6iron swingweight was D8. The 7iron was E0. Yes E0. The 8iron was D6. Called PXG they had no answer for why they left the factory as such.
Anyways. Used the New Rapid Tapers 75, 85 and 95g shafts.
75 in 3 and 4 hybrid. 75 in the 5, 6. 85g in the 7-GW. 95 in the Sw and LW.
Swingweights were almost a perfect progression. From D2-D6.
This set should now play like they should have from the get go. Obviously he couldn't play them very well.
It was hard to box these up and not bring them straight to the range.
The set is gorgeous. The Winn LT grips were a perfect match.
Set them up 1° flat.
Can't wait to see how he likes them. 20220825_091855.jpg20220825_091841.jpg20220825_091900.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

His clubs from PXG were an absolute mess. The 6iron swingweight was D8. The 7iron was E0. Yes E0. The 8iron was D6. Called PXG they had no answer for why they left the factory as such.
This set should now play like they should have from the get go. Obviously he couldn't play them very well.
Set them up 1° flat.
Can't wait to see how he likes them. View attachment 9115366View attachment 9115367View attachment 9115368

Well we know how they will play, amazing!

Set them up 1° flat.
Can't wait to see how he likes them. View attachment 9115366View attachment 9115367View attachment 9115368

Well we know how they will play, amazing!

Set them up 1° flat.

Those look nice

Hit them this morning in a head definitely not for me - very impressed with the feel at impact - most graphite feels dead to me at impact, these didn't.

Hit them this morning in a head definitely not for me - very impressed with the feel at impact - most graphite feels dead to me at impact, these didn't.
They gooooooooood!

Set them up 1° flat.

Are those shaft graphics different than what’s on the site? Sure look like it.

They look like the black wedge shafts instead of the iron shafts.

Last edited:
Are those shaft graphics different than what’s on the site? Sure look like it.

They look like the black wedge shafts instead of the iron shafts.
New graphics for anything Rapid Taper. Wedge shafts too. Look up. New Rapid Tapers. Same shafts but some new models.

New graphics for anything Rapid Taper. Wedge shafts too. Look up. New Rapid Tapers. Same shafts but some new models.

Different from the site? I was on the site just now. I prefer the look in your pics of the PXG. Is that the new ones? Or the ones on the site the new ones?

Edit: whoops. I see what you mean now. I didn’t search their site for “new rapid taper”. Just saw. I like the black.

I am stoked to try these. Those spin wedge shafts look absolutely nasty and will look great in the SMS.

Hoping to hit this demo this week. Been trying to but nothing but rain here in the south as of late.

I keep thinking if these shafts work out, some New Level heads with the Rapid tapers.

I am stoked to try these. Those spin wedge shafts look absolutely nasty and will look great in the SMS.
Spin Wedge are filthy, then, just imagine how much fun the rest of the bag is knowing that all that spin is top to bottom

Spin Wedge are filthy, then, just imagine how much fun the rest of the bag is knowing that all that spin is top to bottom
I only ordered 2 as I wasn’t sure if I was going to drop the SMS 50* in favour of the set gap wedge in the SMS irons. I’ll remedy that before the winter I think as they are both staying in the bag.

Hey hey!

I actually got to hit it today. I think I need some more time with it. Unless you need it back, of course. Hit about 20 balls before some rain hit me. I was hitting it inconsistently but that was me. I was switching back and forth with my 6i and the PTM/RT 6i. Something was off. Wasn’t hitting either iron well. Then I discovered by 6i is at least 3/4” longer In length. I got one more swing in then the rain came down.

I can definitely notice the audible “woosh” of the iron shaft when swinging. Sounds faster. No clue if it actually is but feels/sounds like it is. Just wasn’t making solid contact. Need a full bucket. Will try and get on a monitor Friday or Saturday.

Hey hey!

I actually got to hit it today. I think I need some more time with it. Unless you need it back, of course. Hit about 20 balls before some rain hit me. I was hitting it inconsistently but that was me. I was switching back and forth with my 6i and the PTM/RT 6i. Something was off. Wasn’t hitting either iron well. Then I discovered by 6i is at least 3/4” longer In length. I got one more swing in then the rain came down.

I can definitely notice the audible “woosh” of the iron shaft when swinging. Sounds faster. No clue if it actually is but feels/sounds like it is. Just wasn’t making solid contact. Need a full bucket. Will try and get on a monitor Friday or Saturday.
Is your current 6i steel and is it shorter than standard?

For graphite you typically have to add 1/2" over steel to be standard & then you start the length changes based on height and wrist to floor numbers.

Is your current 6i steel and is it shorter than standard?

For graphite you typically have to add 1/2" over steel to be standard & then you start the length changes based on height and wrist to floor numbers.

My 6i is a recoil graphite shaft.

Popeye- I pulled the trigger on the RT with the close-out. I went with the 95 gram in Reg flex. I have been a stiff flex guy forever. 61- arthritis starting to take some of my movement away. I am looking at a 1-club hardstep.

THoughts?

Popeye- I pulled the trigger on the RT with the close-out. I went with the 95 gram in Reg flex. I have been a stiff flex guy forever. 61- arthritis starting to take some of my movement away. I am looking at a 1-club hardstep.

THoughts?
Check with @J4U as he's doing a hard step with the 105 S+ model. The profiles are similar enough it should give you an idea.

Reactions: J4U
Back