Honma TW757 Fairway Wood Review

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Honma’s presence in the North American market has sometimes been murky, so the brand name is not consistently recognized. But that issue has not been because of a lack of product. Honma is one of Japan’s premium equipment manufacturers whose holistic design philosophies have led to some spectacular releases. The T//World TW757 collection has impressed us with its drivers and irons. Today we look at another part of the TW757 family, the fairway woods.

Continue reading...

Based off how much I’m enjoying testing the 757 Hybrid this will get a serious look from me. 3W has notoriously been the trouble spot in my bag. I wonder if I can find somewhere to give this a swing or two?

This is really interesting a club I need to try when I get the chance. The hybrid has been something of a big surprise for me, not because I had low expectations, quite the opposite and it actually exceeded them. A fairway wood is something a bit elusive to me, in that I play 2 drivers, but in a higher loft, the TW757 could be a really good play.

Nice article, @ddec

Looks-wise, this is such a winner. Beautiful top and bottom. I like the bit of camber on the leading edge and head size. Definitely something I’d feel more comfortable swinging.

3w off the turf is a hard shot under most circumstances, but at least it was predictable for you. I don’t mind something a little more piercing there just because I know it will run. That said, a 5w would probably be the smarter option for me.

Nice article, @ddec

Looks-wise, this is such a winner. Beautiful top and bottom. I like the bit of camber on the leading edge and head size. Definitely something I’d feel more comfortable swinging.

3w off the turf is a hard shot under most circumstances, but at least it was predictable for you. I don’t mind something a little more piercing there just because I know it will run. That said, a 5w would probably be the smarter option for me.
Based on the above, I am debating on a 7 wood.

Now I'd seriously be interested in gaming one of these if it were offered in a strong 13* :unsure:

Based on the above, I am debating on a 7 wood.

Through all the years testing gear, I don’t think I ever played a 7w. Probably would be right up my alley.

Through all the years testing gear, I don’t think I ever played a 7w. Probably would be right up my alley.
It is the spot most ever changing in my bag (that doesnt make sense). Playing two drivers, one standard and one at 12.5 degrees and shortened shaft. And then what comes next bridging to my irons. Currently its a Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 3 and then a Cobra LTDx 4 hybrid which leads to my 5 iron. That bridge club changes nearly every round because I havent found one that just fits.

It is the spot most ever changing in my bag (that doesnt make sense). Playing two drivers, one standard and one at 12.5 degrees and shortened shaft. And then what comes next bridging to my irons. Currently its a Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 3 and then a Cobra LTDx 4 hybrid which leads to my 5 iron. That bridge club changes nearly every round because I havent found one that just fits.

I know that feeling all too well and I’d give up a little yardage for more playability in that spot without a second thought. Low lofted hybrids can be difficult to work with and sometimes bring the BIG miss into play for me.

I feel like, at least back in the day, a 7w would have been a fun option for you. Oddly enough, it seems that club has become cooler now than it was over the past decade.

Nice article, @ddec

looks wise, yeah this thing is killer. I love the more compact shape that it has. Off the top of my head, I think only the Cobra is significantly smaller in terms of CC. The Rogue ST Max is nearly identical, but the shaping is just better on this IMO.

I feel like, at least back in the day, a 7w would have been a fun option for you. Oddly enough, it seems that club has become cooler now than it was over the past decade.

Yea, I saw some pros bagging one. Funny how things come back around.

Looking back, I think you are right. My best fairway experiences were things that launched really high.

This is really interesting a club I need to try when I get the chance. The hybrid has been something of a big surprise for me, not because I had low expectations, quite the opposite and it actually exceeded them. A fairway wood is something a bit elusive to me, in that I play 2 drivers, but in a higher loft, the TW757 could be a really good play.

It feels like this 757 line is pretty deep with performance which is really cool to see. One of my rounds I played this and the course was dry and firm, so I used it on all but 2 tee shots. I was so impressed with the flight and where I was ending up. Not just in terms of distance, but positioning. After we finally got some rain, I played with it on the same holes, and while, yes I wasn't as far, I was still getting some solid distance. I mentioned not having to sacrifice as much yardage, and I really feel that. It's been a while since I've felt that with a 3w off the tee.

Reactions: JB
That shape…I like it.

This was a year I thought Honma might be done stateside, but man, this lineup from top to bottom seems the best they’ve done in a long while.

That shape…I like it.

This was a year I thought Honma might be done stateside, but man, this lineup from top to bottom seems the best they’ve done in a long while.

it's been so impressive. Much more so than the TR20 stuff IMO.

it's been so impressive. Much more so than the TR20 stuff IMO.
Definitely feels more buzz worthy, a lot more for me personally to be honest.

I will say this, Honma has nailed the looks and I personally love a smaller more compact fwy wood.

Definitely feels more buzz worthy, a lot more for me personally to be honest.

I think you are spot on with that TBH.

It's a good looking fairway wood. You mentioned mishits were penalized. Would you say mishits were in line with what you usually see or more severe?

It's a good looking fairway wood. You mentioned mishits were penalized. Would you say mishits were in line with what you usually see or more severe?

For me, off-the-deck misses weren't great. Centered but low, I could get away with it. Low elsewhere, esp toe side was bad. Off the tee, my contact is higher on the face, and I'd say it's much more playable in that scenario. Compared to others this year, it was more severe on the former.

What did you think of the shaft pairing? Honma does things a little different in that regard.

For me, off-the-deck misses weren't great. Centered but low, I could get away with it. Low elsewhere, esp toe side was bad. Off the tee, my contact is higher on the face, and I'd say it's much more playable in that scenario. Compared to others this year, it was more severe on the former.
That's interesting. Honma falls into the forgiving category for me for some reason.

What did you think of the shaft pairing? Honma does things a little different in that regard.

Vizard shafts...they are their own stuff. Honma often talks about the holistic build/design that goes into their clubs. I know some of the testers in the Hybrid thread have been talking about the shafts, but in my Honma experiences, including 4 drivers and 2-3 hybrids, I've only really disliked the pairing once, which was with the XP-1 Driver. With the driver of this line, I thought it felt longer than advertised but held up to my swing, which ranges in the mid 90's to low 100's depending on the day. If I was to say anything about the driver shaft, it felt slightly softer in the tip section than what I normally play, with this I didn't get that sense in the FW.

That's interesting. Honma falls into the forgiving category for me for some reason.

you carry a few extra MPH's than me at times. I don't think it's an completely unforgiving clubhead. I personally wouldn't throw it up there with say the Rogue ST Max or the Mizuno ST-X. For me, talking about off the deck. Shots hit well, it's a medium to medium-high flat ball in a steady flight. Bad contact, the ball never gets as high which, for someone who doesn't carry a ton of speed, was just penal.

And after all that, it's still in the bag and staying there for a bit because I love it off the tee and I'm generally confident hitting fw's off the deck.

you carry a few extra MPH's than me at times. I don't think it's an completely unforgiving clubhead. I personally wouldn't throw it up there with say the Rogue ST Max or the Mizuno ST-X. For me, talking about off the deck. Shots hit well, it's a medium to medium-high flat ball in a steady flight. Bad contact, the ball never gets as high which, for someone who doesn't carry a ton of speed, was just penal.

And after all that, it's still in the bag and staying there for a bit because I love it off the tee and I'm generally confident hitting fw's off the deck.
The 3w is primarily a tee club for me so that's where I want the best results from. And your experience sounds a little like the C722 fairway with the lower ball flight on missed shots from the fairway.

Back