Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

I have played two of the better rounds I have had in a while since I got the ZX5s. I have been working on some things on my swing but I think the extra forgiveness of the ZX5s over the T100s are helping. I do think that the gapping in the wedges isn’t quite right. The 50* AW is a bit weak given the 44* 9i. I think I am going to have it bent a couple of degrees strong. I will say I prefer the T100s AW to the ZX5 but not enough to change them out.

I am not sure how much of the preference is shaft based. I have SF 95 in the ZX5s and M120 in the T100s. I think I do like the lighter weight but still plenty of stability in the SF.

4th round with the ZX5 irons and I have the distances dialed in. Didn't take long at all and it feels good. About a 1/2 club shorter than my HMP irons where so not a great distance loss. The feel is much better though.

188 yards downhill with a ZX5 6 iron. Pretty legit stopping power.
4C9884D3-AD68-4F4D-B5B6-03F2D7F8CE95.jpeg

Was paired with a guy who had the 5/7 combo. We both were surprised as neither of us have seen other sets in the wild yet.

The 7's helped me get another PB today! That's a second in the last week!

I have another set of iron heads prepped for new shafts. Still looking as to what to put in them.

The 7's are making it VERY hard to think about them!

I have 3 or 4 rounds in with the ZX5s now and down through the 9i I really like them. I don’t love the look of the PW and like the look of the AW less. That said I hit them all pretty well. I am about 5 yards longer than I am with the T100s with Modus 120. I do find them more forgiving and longer the lighter shafts may have something to do with that as the lofts are pretty similar on the ZX5 and T100s. I do have an Edison GW coming in so I am going to try that in the bag instead of the set GW.

Good outing with the ZX7's today. 9/18 GIR but the thing was the misses where all really close (except one that went into the pond) and generally pin high. Did have a couple shots I was between distances and chose the club up route and turned out just fine.

The PW is gone out of the bag and has been replaced with a Titleist Vokey SM8, 46°F.
Was having issues getting the set PW to 115 even after having the loft checked (which was spot on) Threw in the SM8 today and second hole I am 114y out after the drive and grabbed the SM8 and stuck it pin high 4 yards right of the pin. Plenty of spin from it even with a Srixon soft feel ball.
Sorry for a dated bump, but what did you see with the PW? I just got my set and have perfect 10 yard gaps from 205(4i) to 145(9i). Then my pw drops to about 115 which is what I hit my 50 degree cleveland cbx.

I haven't gotten the loft checked but have seen a post on reddit with someone with the same issue with the PW. Assuming lofts check out, I was thinking of trying to have it bent but it seems really weird that the PW in this set seems to not fit some golfers.

Sorry for a dated bump, but what did you see with the PW? I just got my set and have perfect 10 yard gaps from 205(4i) to 145(9i). Then my pw drops to about 115 which is what I hit my 50 degree cleveland cbx.

I haven't gotten the loft checked but have seen a post on reddit with someone with the same issue with the PW. Assuming lofts check out, I was thinking of trying to have it bent but it seems really weird that the PW in this set seems to not fit some golfers.
Was just not the same feeling and didn't cover the distances consistently.
I have ZX5's now and the PW in this set seems better. Weird.

Maybe check the lofts to make sure nothing is weird. As another data point, I have ZX7's and was playing 9i @ 145-150 and PW 130-135 with no issues. Similar overall gapping from 210 4i to 115-120 Clevelnad ZipCore AW or ZX7 AW as you describe.

Was just not the same feeling and didn't cover the distances consistently.
I have ZX5's now and the PW in this set seems better. Weird.
Thanks. I actually have zx5s (should have mentioned that). There's a YouTube review of zx5s out there that I dismissed but you can see that he had something similar with them as well. Everything was good but his pw spun like 3k and couldn't figure it out. Kept his distance 10 yards short of what he gamed.

Gonna check lofts and try to strengthen, but I have this bad feeling that my answer is going to be to chuck it and get a 44 specialty wedge.

Thanks. I actually have zx5s (should have mentioned that). There's a YouTube review of zx5s out there that I dismissed but you can see that he had something similar with them as well. Everything was good but his pw spun like 3k and couldn't figure it out. Kept his distance 10 yards short of what he gamed.

Gonna check lofts and try to strengthen, but I have this bad feeling that my answer is going to be to chuck it and get a 44 specialty wedge.
This set is bent one strong. Your PW could be way off, I tend to have them checked at the strart of every season and then in winter.

ZX5 - 9i little bit uphill from 129. Tour Response ball
20220911_124621.jpg

The ZX5's where good today with 11 GIR and quite a few that where pin high and left. I have the distances dialed in already since switching. Feel is so much better than my HMP irons where.

The 7's must know some shafts are coming for my other heads. They continue to bring it! Just so much fun.

The ZX5's where good today with 11 GIR and quite a few that where pin high and left. I have the distances dialed in already since switching. Feel is so much better than my HMP irons where.

I have ZX5s and considering HMP for added forgiveness. But feel is key. I’m sure the ZX will feel better and I assume the HMP will be longer. Any other feedback on feel

I've had my combo set for a year 1/2 now. They still make me smile every round! Such great irons...
The Mizuno MP18-SC's (now relegated to backup duty) aren't too happy about it!
I could game either set and get along just fine.

I have ZX5s and considering HMP for added forgiveness. But feel is key. I’m sure the ZX will feel better and I assume the HMP will be longer. Any other feedback on feel
You can tell where you miss on the 5's IMO, the HMP felt the same all across the face. For me the HMP where longer by about 1/2 club so I sacrificed the distance for the feel. Plenty of forgiveness on the 5's. Happy I switched back the the Srixon irons. Looks better too.

Played my first two rounds with my zx5s. Beyond all the good things I felt in my fitting, I was BEYOND impressed with the turf interaction and help the sole gave. I went through two rounds only feeling like I may have "slightly" hit it fat. By the time I hit something a little fat on the 18th of my 2nd round, I realized that the sole must have been turning my chunks into "slightly fat". For my pure shots, the feel was incredible. Worlds different than my former clubs getting in and out of the turf.

Great day with the 5's. 14GIR today. The greens I missed, one was short (wind) 2 left pin high and 1 way right off a nasty bounce off a sprinkler head. I have the Modus 120S shaft in these and really liking them.

ZX5's seem to be the right choice for my game now. 6/9GIR today. The Modus 120S is keeping my tempo nice and smooth and giving me great results.

9GIR today with the 5's. Blew over a green on the par 3, figured the wind would hold the ball up a bit but it didn't. Getting a really nice higher ball flight but not losing anything in the wind.

I play Hogan ptx pros currently. Can anyone say if the zx7 is similar in size and forgiveness? Was thinking about the zx5 but worried they may be too big. Was looking at the Callaway rogue pros but I love the v-sole.

I play Hogan ptx pros currently. Can anyone say if the zx7 is similar in size and forgiveness? Was thinking about the zx5 but worried they may be too big. Was looking at the Callaway rogue pros but I love the v-sole.
I have not played the Hogans but I am currently playing the T100S and the ZX7 are a little bit larger but not in a bad way. I tried the Rogue Pros and hated the shape on those. The longer irons were okay but from the 9-AW, the blade was VERY short and super tall. I like a squatty iron, but those looked terrible to my eye.

Still working through gapping on my Zx5's. I was wondering for those that went down to four iron, does anyone experience a gapping issue with the 4 to 5 iron with only 2 degrees of loft separating them? I feel like they are right on top of eachother between 190-200 (5 iron) and 195-205 (4 iron). I have a 20 degree hybrid carrying 225-235 which is putting a 30 yard gap in my bag now. I'm more consistent with my hybrid in terms of strike and distance, but can control laterally with my 4 iron better and would prefer to game the 4 iron vs invest in a 5 hybrid.

I almost wish i had a 3 iron head at 20deg vs 22 in a shorter 4 iron shaft. Scared about bending it stronger because I did that with my pitching wedge and can feel it dig a little more which is fine for a wedge, but my 4 iron digging more would not be a good thing. My miss with the club is already to fat hit.

My imagination/my strike or is this gapping issue a real thing with the lofts right on top of eachother? (Distances are coming off of trakman)

Back