2022 Cobra Golf KING Forged Tec and Forged TEC X Irons

It’s official the shafts changes are done. The Recoil Darts are staying in the FTX.

I remember early on before even getting these reading thoughts from @Tenputt a guys who’s opinion I respect and honestly his thoughts helped nudge me in this direction, otherwise I may have just went with the standard FT. He was gushing over these and I thought if he can play them certainly I can.

I have found them fun to hit at times, I mean who wouldn’t enjoy hitting 190 yd 7irons haha but I wouldn’t say these have been a game changer for me. I have struggled with hitting greens more than ever before if I’m being honest and now having some data to look at I can see it. I tried to convince myself that I didn’t need to work the ball just hit it straight and take the forgiveness that comes with a set like this. Unfortunately what has happened is I have been missing left at at astounding rate.

The good news for Cobra is that really is what the club is supposed to do! The ball goes far, it’s forgiving on mishits and the offset and lie angles help those who miss right straighten that out, however for a player like myself who doesn’t need that help it became a bit of an issue.

I have been determined to get these to work for me though and after a recent and final shaft change I am really close to finding that. It’s amazing really that the right shaft can make that much difference but for me in my short time it feels like a game changer. That sound you hear when you make good contact is addicting and as well all know part of that sound is feel. I might make a slight lie adjustment to go a little flatter but then I think that will be it, I’ll be rocking these at the Morgan Cup in just 6 weeks!

Had a range session with the FTxs a couple days ago and had some mixed results. Still getting comfortable with the shaft weight change from my old irons. I tend to start out pretty sharp, but as I get loose it seems like I start to overawing a bit. Still plenty of time to get that squared away before october.

still really enjoy the head though. So much more forgiving than my last set

It’s official the shafts changes are done. The Recoil Darts are staying in the FTX.

I remember early on before even getting these reading thoughts from @Tenputt a guys who’s opinion I respect and honestly his thoughts helped nudge me in this direction, otherwise I may have just went with the standard FT. He was gushing over these and I thought if he can play them certainly I can.

I have found them fun to hit at times, I mean who wouldn’t enjoy hitting 190 yd 7irons haha but I wouldn’t say these have been a game changer for me. I have struggled with hitting greens more than ever before if I’m being honest and now having some data to look at I can see it. I tried to convince myself that I didn’t need to work the ball just hit it straight and take the forgiveness that comes with a set like this. Unfortunately what has happened is I have been missing left at at astounding rate.

The good news for Cobra is that really is what the club is supposed to do! The ball goes far, it’s forgiving on mishits and the offset and lie angles help those who miss right straighten that out, however for a player like myself who doesn’t need that help it became a bit of an issue.

I have been determined to get these to work for me though and after a recent and final shaft change I am really close to finding that. It’s amazing really that the right shaft can make that much difference but for me in my short time it feels like a game changer. That sound you hear when you make good contact is addicting and as well all know part of that sound is feel. I might make a slight lie adjustment to go a little flatter but then I think that will be it, I’ll be rocking these at the Morgan Cup in just 6 weeks!
I appreciate the kind words. I think where you are arriving is where I started by taking an educated guess. I ordered these irons flatter than I normally play, thinking that would reduce the miss left. I also ordered a shaft that is about 15 grams heavier than what is normally my sweet spot. My thinking there, right or wrong, is that the heavier weight my slow down my closure rate.

One of the difference between you and me (other than you obviously are more handsome), is that you have plenty of club speed. While my club speed is good for my age, the fight to maintain my distance is real. That was a big factor in my gravitating towards these. the other reason was that being able to hit a 6 iron 190 plus yards allowed me to go from that to a hybrid that would go about 205. This left me with the ability to have a 60, 56, 52 and 47 degree wedge lineup, which gives me all kinds of versatility with the short game.

I hope that this new set up works for you. I give you lots of credit for trying different iron sets through all of your Cobra experience. It has been an amazing journey for you.

So I've been out 12 times with the FTx now. I've had some casual rounds and some tournaments so I feel like I'm getting a good mix of how the clubs are working (with my limited skill swing) for me in different pressure situations. Like some others have said, there seemed to be a pretty bad miss to the left that showed up for me. My old irons were a half degree more upright than these are because I've always fought a slice. I finally went and took another lesson two rounds ago to work on that miss left and to take a better look at the gapping and it definitely helped. I went through my shot scope stats to take a look at the on course performance now that I feel more comfortable vs my old irons. Here are some of the stats I noted.

Old Irons Approach Shots:
Greens Hit: 34%
Long: 6%
Short: 32%
Left: 14%
Right: 14%

FTx Approach Shots:
Greens Hit: 24%
Long: 14%
Short: 25%
Left: 23%
Right: 14%

I've been missing the greens a lot more long and left. The long was an obvious one as these irons are about a club longer on avg. On the really good swings I've had a couple shots be 2 clubs longer. Now I did mention that I had the lesson and worked out some kinks in the swing that helped. Over my last two rounds those numbers have gotten much more manageable for me.

Greens Hit: 32%
Long: 9%
Short: 22%
Left: 11%
Right: 26%

Seeing the Long and short numbers both come down and the greens hit going up has me feeling much more confident in my distances. The miss to the right did jump quite a bit but that's ok. The shots are going straighter now or a baby draw instead of a hook/pull-hook. I'll happily take that more one-way miss and adjust my aim from there.

Overall I will say that I absolutely love these irons. They took a bit of time to get used to being so different from my old irons but the work is worth it for sure. The added distance is an absolute weapon. I love being able to hit a 6 iron comfortably into a green from 210.
This is exactly why I’m happy that I got mine bent 4° flat.

4° flat would be way too much for me. If I went that flat everything would be going way right or I’d be doing some weird swing move to keep them going straight. I did consider going .5-1 for mine since my swing is much better than when I had my old irons bent upright.

4* flat? 😳I didn’t even know that was possible without damaging the club

4* flat? 😳I didn’t even know that was possible without damaging the club
That was the maximum allowance.

I mean… we both know mine are flatter than that broski :ROFLMAO:

Solid round with these today. 10 greens, 2 left on the collar.The forgiveness on these are really nice on those slight mishits, the distances to figure out didn't take more than about two rounds to figure out from my previous irons. Hard to argue that kind of result!

As mentioned in the LTDx Fairway thread, I sneaked out of work early to get some swings in before the weather really turns. Not only did I hit my best shot with the LTDx 7W, but I also hit my best 6i shot with the Forged Tec X 6i.

Tee shot on hole #7 at my home course. Small pond intersects the fairway so I pulled my 6i thinking I'd land it around 200 yards, with roll-out. Nope. Absolutely crushed it.

219 yards, leaving me with a nice 155 yard 9i into the green! These irons are EXPLOSIVE!

ADAF595D-52F5-44FE-93DC-30603107CFBF_1_201_a.jpeg

Have I mentioned 47 times how amazing the FTx feel… The lightweight foam injection is out of this world.

I watched a 4 part fitting series on Club Champion’s YouTube channel and the FTX performed really well. Between this thread and the DART testing, I’m pretty much sold. I don’t think I ever been this interested in a Cobra iron.

If I have any complaints about these irons is it’s not easy to hit low hooks from under a tree 😂 there is just not enough spin 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

I watched a 4 part fitting series on Club Champion’s YouTube channel and the FTX performed really well. Between this thread and the DART testing, I’m pretty much sold. I don’t think I ever been this interested in a Cobra iron.
It’s a fantastic combo. It may be difficult for me to go back to a players iron and lose the distance I’m seeing from these haha

If I have any complaints about these irons is it’s not easy to hit low hooks from under a tree 😂 there is just not enough spin 🤷🏻‍♂️😂
I don’t want to tell how or where to play golf, but desert golf greatly reduces the frequency of this issue. 😂

It’s a fantastic combo. It may be difficult for me to go back to a players iron and lose the distance I’m seeing from these haha

I get it. I’d love to see about 7-10 yards more carry. Not sure if these would get me that much, but everything I’ve seen makes me thinks it a real possibility.

I get it. I’d love to see about 7-10 yards more carry. Not sure if these would get me that much, but everything I’ve seen makes me thinks it a real possibility.
What irons are you comparing them to?

Getting more and more comfortable with these irons every round I get under my belt with them and the distances are about nailed on now. A nice smooth swing means a long high flight and with our greens softening up a little bit they are coming in and stopping. Whilst I am hitting them a good bit longer than the previous set, am finding that making a much more controlled smooth swing means the distances are more where I was used to but with much better results, the more I hit them the more I love them.

Hit the regular Forged Tec today and really liked the feel of them. Nicer than my current LTDx and they look better too. I didn't notice too much difference in the forgiveness levels and I reckon I could easily play them.

The guy actually fit me into some KBS graphite PGI 75 shafts instead of my steel Modus 105s. The lighter shafts really helped me get the ball flying higher with the longer irons.

Now got to decide whether to pull the trigger and change again (it'd be 3 sets in just over 12 months!).

Those PGI shafts are non existent to find them in custom fit options online though :(

Hit the regular Forged Tec today and really liked the feel of them. Nicer than my current LTDx and they look better too. I didn't notice too much difference in the forgiveness levels and I reckon I could easily play them.

The guy actually fit me into some KBS graphite PGI 75 shafts instead of my steel Modus 105s. The lighter shafts really helped me get the ball flying higher with the longer irons.

Now got to decide whether to pull the trigger and change again (it'd be 3 sets in just over 12 months!).

Those PGI shafts are non existent to find them in custom fit options online though :(
Forged Tec are VERY good irons. I'm completely sold on their tech and design!

5C7B421B-1C2D-4303-9C55-97E21844845B.jpeg
This was the view on hole 9 of a close match with a buddy today. Needed to win it to secure the match and take home some cash. 171 yards playing slightly down with a touch of wind to the back. Pulled the FTx 9 iron and went after it! Baby cut landing a couple feet from the pin leaving me a five footer that I drained for the W. FTx came through today, loving them.

View attachment 9120802
This was the view on hole 9 of a close match with a buddy today. Needed to win it to secure the match and take home some cash. 171 yards playing slightly down with a touch of wind to the back. Pulled the FTx 9 iron and went after it! Baby cut landing a couple feet from the pin leaving me a five footer that I drained for the W. FTx came through today, loving them.
Nice shot!! 🎯

And what a great looking course!

I’m slowly improving my mechanics. And I’m starting to see some of the reported FTx distance gains!

when I actually compress the ball theses irons are impressive

Back